AppleDash 3,000 members · 1,058 stories
Comments ( 157 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 157
LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Howdy y'all!
Sure has been a while since we last held a contest.
Almost exactly a year, it seems.
Hm. That don't sound right.
Hey, Dash! Get on over here!
'Sup, AJ?
Got a little competition for ya.
A competition? What kind?
The kind that involves you, me, your deepest, darkest secrets, and a whole lot of peanut butter.
My what now?

Peanut butter?

Yeeeeeaah... I don't know about that.
Ya sure, sugarcube?
I don't think I need to remind you what happened the last time we used peanut butter. I couldn't fly for a week.
You two did what!?
We had a peanut butter sculpting competition. AJ had to preen my wings for a week before it was all out.

Don't act like you didn't like that.
I guess the preening part wasn't so bad.
Sure wasn't.
As adorable as you two are being, you were talking about a contest earlier, were you not?
Hey, I'm not—
It's starting to sound an awful lot like a contest about contests.
Oh, my dear princess, don't be silly! I assure you it'll be much more... fun. Pinkie Pie, would you like to do the honors?
Would I?!
This time around we're going to have two different categories!
The first one is: "Family", "Second Chances", "Exploring the Past", "Deepest Darkest Secrets", and "A Life Changing Event"
And the second is: "A Place Outside Ponyville", "A Minor Character With a Speaking Role", "An Out-of-Place Object", "A Special Event" (like Hearth's Warming Eve, the Grand Galloping Gala, or the Crystal Faire), and "An Important or Memorable Date".
You have to pick one from each category and write your story around those two choices! You're free to decide what exactly each choice is.
Pinkie, don't forget our special surprise.
Oh yeah!
You can replace one of your choices from either category with "Peanut Butter"!
Really, guys?
If I may, I'd like to add a little touch of my own.
Be my guest.
Oh, this will be positively wonderful! We'll be letting Applejack and Rainbow Dash have sex this time around.

Now this I can't wait to see.
Oooooh. Allowing mature fics? Iiiiii like it.

Hey Fluttershy! Did you get those prizes I asked for?
I did, and I think you'll like them.
For first place, we have $250 of any pony merchandise—the winner gets to choose what they want and from where.
For second place, we have $100 of any pony merchandise.
And for third place, we have $50 of any pony merchandise.
Wow, you really pulled out all the stops on this one, didn't you?
Yep!
You all have until 11:59PM PST on January 15, 2016. to submit your fics. They must be complete and at least 5,000 words long. Now get writing!

The Fourth AppleDash Contest
A Little Twist of Lemon

In the past, we've had contests that put twists on all things AppleDash: one that skipped on common tropes, such as Rainbow Dash breaking her wing(s); one that made Applejack chase after Rainbow Dash—not the (usual) other way around; and one that put competitions between our beloved couple in the spotlight.

This time, we're putting a twist on that trend.

We've carefully selected and organized some topics into two different categories. Each entry for this contest must pick one topic from each category and write a story that heavily includes both elements—all while making it all about AppleDash. You don't need to use the words in the order listed.

The Categories:
Category A:
- Family
- Second Chances
- Exploring the Past
- Deepest, Darkest Secrets
- A Life-Changing Event

Category B:
- A Place Outside Ponyville
- A Minor Character With a Speaking Role (Think real hard about who this includes; if you're not sure, ask one of the judges!)
- An Out-of-Place Object (One that doesn't normally belong in the everyday lives of our little ponies)
- A Special Event (Something like the Grand Galloping Gala, the Crystal Faire, Hearts and Hooves Day)
- An Important or Memorable Date (For example, the day Applejack's parents died, or the day Rainbow Dash got fired for stealing clouds to build her house)

Wildcard:
- Peanut Butter (You can replace one of your choices from either category—but not both—with this!)

You can choose an option from both categories and use the peanut butter wildcard, but the focus of the story must remain on the two main categories.

Some examples:
- An AppleDash story about Second Chances at A Special Event
- An AppleDash story about Peanut Butter and an Out-of-Place object
- An AppleDash story about Deepest, Darkest Secrets involving Peanut Butter
- An AppleDash story involving a Minor Character with a Speaking Role who Explores the Past
- An AppleDash story that takes place in a Place Outside Ponyville while somepony gets a Second Chance

The Rules:
The rules have changed a little bit this time around, so pay attention!

- Entries must be a minimum of 5000 words long.
- Entries must be complete by the end of the contest—incomplete entries will not be judged.
- Multiple entries are allowed. They will be judged completely separately.
- Entries must use their two choices as a core part of their story. If you're unsure about your idea, ask a judge.
- No Anthro (this does include Equestria Girls), Crossovers, Grimdark, Gore, Humanized, Human(s) in Equestria, Ponies on Earth, Species-Swap, Gender-swap, or Tragedies.
- Applejack and Rainbow Dash must be a couple by the end of your fic. They can start out however you like.
- Mature fics are allowed, but not required.
- Bear in mind that the contest is still about the story. Mature fics or the use of the "Peanut Butter" wildcard won't score extra points.
- The deadline is 11:59PM PST on January 15, 2016.

The Deadline in your Time Zone
Deadline Countdown

The Prizes:
There are three winners for this competition. Each winner will receive an amount of money towards the purchase of sweet pony merchandise. Each winner can pick what they want, from where/who they want, and when they want it. This can be commissions from that artist you've always wanted art from, a plushie, something from shapeways.com, or whatever else you can think of. Anything left in the prize after the purchase of your merch can be sent as an Amazon gift card (if that doesn't work, we can always work out an alternative).

- First place gets $250
- Second place gets $100
- Third place gets $50

Upon announcing the winners, KrazyTheFox will contact each and arrange for the distribution of the prizes.

The Judges:
KrazyTheFox
Skeeter the Lurker
Tchernobog
Timaeus

How to Submit Your Entry:
Ensure that your two choices are in your entry's description. Add your entry to the group's main folder, then PM one of the judges with a link to your story. The judge will move your story to the dedicated contest folder. If your story is complete, but not yet on the site, a Google Docs link (or similar) PM'd to a judge will suffice. Your story will not be judged until it's completed, but it can still be added to the folder and the judges will track it.

Final Words:
We hope you're as excited about this contest as we are! If you have any questions or need any clarifications, feel free to contact any of the judges either in this topic or through PM. Good luck!

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I was sorely tempted to participate, with prizes like that. But I think reading the entries will be greater motivation to write again! :pinkiehappy:

Looking forward to the entries.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

But you didn't even say what the contest is in honor of :o

Or is this not related to the 2000 member mark?

Awwwww shit~!

Here we go again!

~Skeeter The Lurker

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

It's not related to the 2000th member mark. I've been meaning to put this contest together for a while now and the times just happened to line up. I guess it could be in honor of it if we wanted it to be.

bahatumay
Group Contributor

*reading categories*
Well, that sounds interesting. I'm not so sure I can-
*sees prize package*
Ponybro I will write a story for every combination for a chance at that-
*incomplete entries will not be judged*
jerks.

Let's do this!

bahatumay
Group Contributor

Also it's totally legit to finish a story you've started previously and enter it in this contest if it hasn't been posted anywhere else, right?

What, like repurposing a half written fic to fit this?

~Skeeter The Lurker

bahatumay
Group Contributor

…well, anything sounds bad if you say it in that tone of voice. :scootangel:
In my defense, it fits the theme perfectly; I've just never finished it.

4807027 Want some help judging?

Tchernobog
Group Admin

4807075 If we've not seen it anywhere before, I suppose it should be okay.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I'm afraid we're all full up on judges; we'd rather people enter than judge. I can always keep you in mind for the next contest if you'd like.

HapHazred
Group Contributor

4807027 Oooh, mai.

I've actually been working a fair bit on a wee concept of my own that might fit, say, Family, Exploring the Past, A Place Outside Ponyville (or above, in this case), and A Special Event.

Don't forget to promote the contest in more places than just here! The more competition, the more fun for moi!

Any rules on multiple submissions? January is a lo-o-ong way away, and I might have more than one concept bouncing around my skull (not to mention, historically, I've submitted multiple before).

bahatumay
Group Contributor

Third rule:

- Multiple entries are allowed. They will be judged completely separately.

HapHazred
Group Contributor

4807126 Ach, poop. I was distracted by all the pony emotes.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I've got some plans for promoting elsewhere, too. Monthly group post is the next one and all the judges are doing blog posts.

Oh no! I meant no offense!

Hell, if anything, if it makes an idea get done, do it!

I was just trying to see if I had what you meant right.

~Skeeter The Lurker

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Maybe someone should post on shipping forums too? Or just keep it to AppleDash?

HapHazred
Group Contributor

4807149 I actually recently found out that The Writers Group doesn't prohibit promoting contests. Not according to the old guard, at least.

Maybe that's something to be considered? (He said innocently)

I'll promote it myself here and there.

...I won't lie.

I seriously want to see a clop fic contest entry using peanut butter.

~Skeeter The Lurker

HapHazred
Group Contributor

4807173 I'm allergic to peanuts. : (

No field research for me.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I've heard this stuff is pretty spot-on, though I can't vouch for it personally.

HapHazred
Group Contributor

4807185 Huh. How novel.

What will they think of next?

bookplayer
Group Admin

I'm glad I sat out the judging here, that's one hell of a prize package.

Like, this one deserves some serious effort.

Question: Are sequels to other fics allowed?

Edit: Well, Fall Weather Friends just came on my endless pony stream. I guess that means I have to enter.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Consensus from the judges is that it should be able to be read standalone, but outside that, sequels are welcome.

I guess that means I have to enter.

Sounds like it was meant to be!

Hmm... Never written for a contest before...

Sounds like fun!

Wait, does it have to be peanutbutter, or can it have nuts int...cuz...

I mean, it does have nuts in it...

ah who am I kidding, I can't even right

4807027 Awesome! I needed a competition like this to stretch out my writing skills; The prizes are just a bonus.:raritywink:

Now the only thing I need to answer is what I'm gonna choose to do a combination of? I'm gonna have to give it some thought, but once I do have an idea I'll get right to writing it.:twilightsmile:

Good luck to everyone else, and I hope you all have majestic day!:pinkiehappy:

Erm. Well, I want to join the contest, but I don't know if I can win, though. :rainbowlaugh: I may do this just for fun.

Besides, it seems impossible for me to claim the prize. :pinkiesick: I'm way too far the west.

AND! Lemon... Oh. :fluttershyouch: I've never done anything like it.

Well, this looks like fun. And $250/$100/$50 is nothing to sneeze at prize-wise.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

We've had some entries surprise us in the past (new authors, ones who doubted themselves, etc) that have done well. It never hurts to enter! If you win, arrangements can be made for alternative prizes if you can't get things shipped and whatnot.

Hmm, maybe if I can get off my lazy ass and write one of the ideas I've come up with.

Posted
Group Contributor

You are not required to write a mature story. Previous contests didn't allow mature stories, but this one allows you the option if you want it.

I might actually take my time to make a story for once =D

Hey, cool. I haven't had an excuse to write AppleDash in forever.

I'm not a writer by any means, but I'm totally looking forward to see what comes out of this contest!

I feel ya. I'm allergic to peanuts too.

And honestly, I can't remember too much of what peanut butter tastes like, but the smell is revolting enough to make me think the stuff must be disgusting.

But that's just me. :twilightblush:

'whistles' $250? Now THAT's nothing to sneeze at. Too bad about the mature fics, though. I know it's all subjective and different people like different stuff, but I avoid those like the plague. Guess I'll be sitting this one out.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

4808354 They're only an option - and clop does not give people extra points. Story will still be the biggest factor in judging the story.

You know, I have had an idea bouncing around in my skull for a while now that would already fit at least one of the categories... of course, actually participating would mean writing twice as much as I've ever written, and in a sixth of the time, too...

So do it anyway.

Even if you don't enter, write it and post.

~Skeeter The Lurker

bahatumay
Group Contributor

Enter anyway. My train of thought when I entered the first AppleDash competition was quite literally, “What? Yuri? I can't write that… or can I?”

Tchernobog
Group Admin

4808997 "Hot diggity, looks like I can!"

bahatumay
Group Contributor

Too right I can!
Too bad I can't seem to finish... :unsuresweetie:

Well, I'm in. Nothing will stop me!

Hrm.

Hmmm.

So does it have to be A to B, as shown in the examples, or can it be B to A?

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

It can go either way. I had a fourth example that seems to have been mistakenly left out that covered that base. Sorry! I just added it back in.

Oh goodie, that opens up the playing field.

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Wow, I'm going to have to think on this one.

Oh, gotta get rid of my writers block now.:pinkiehappy:

Just one question, if we win could you convet the money?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 157