SALT Monthly Contest Archive 15 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 37 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 37
Aquillo
Group Admin

Yo.

I'm gonna be echoing the last time I set a contest up by starting this off with a "choose your own image + prompt" thing. It worked well last time, and I daresay it'll work well again this time. One major alteration, though. Well... two.

First

There is no main contest image or prompt. You see one you like from the list, you pick that one and get to work on it. Say which one you're planning on doing, though, so I've got some idea of who's doing what.

Oh, you may also have to ask the artist for permission. If you don't want to do that, either utilise the second part or bug me about it by replying to this comment, and I'll go ask for you.

Second

You can change round either the image or the prompt, but not both. For example, if you like prompt one but don't like the image attached to it, you can change the image over for one you like. Vice versa is ditto. What you cannot do is change both the image and the prompt.

So, with that out the way, here's the prompts:

Prompt 1: Let it Snow

I have got to get over my obsession with the pretty pony princesses.

Prompt 2: Five Alive

Oh look. A Minuette prompt at number two. I wonder how/why that got placed here.

Prompt 3: The Winter Harvest

Earth ponies, man. How do they work?

Harder than a unicorn, that's for sure! Ho ho ho... I'm not tribalist -- some of my best friends are bone-heads.

:facehoof:

Prompt 4: Star Pupil of the Princess

Because we don't have enough pre-Ponyville Twilight. Or whatever.

Prompt 5: Digging too deep

BOOM!

Prompt 6: Better to Reign in Night

...than serve the day. Link related

And that should be enough to be getting on with, no?

Time span this round is until the end of December. This was chosen purely so that I can have a good stab at completing my aim of a fic for each pic.

GO, GO, GO!!

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

Funny enough, because of the way the post is arranged, I thought the word "BOOM!" went with the picture of Twilight.

Are you still in your "Minuette is awesome" phase? I think maybe I should take the second prompt and continue Chronomistress. I'm sure I can work Berry Punch back into the story. I need to get this Babs Seed story I'm writing out of the way first, though.

Of course, whenever that comic book gets here, it's going to joss Chronomistress. Awesome pic related.

Oh, man. Some of these are just great. I'm getting to a point where I can lay off a few of my ongoing fics, so I think I may just take a stab at one of these for once.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

512708 And I have a computer now! Fic ahead, just as soon as I narrow it down. Also, it is round 7.

I've got something in mind, though it may more be based on the picture than it is on the name of the prompt, just so ya know. I wanna thank Firebird for coaching me on it.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Guys! Guys, it's going crazy out there! I can't write without a notification interrupting me every two seconds or so! I... I don't wanna be on Eqd anymore! This isn't at all like I imagined... :raritycry:

Also, 2K into the first prompt. How's everyone else -- OH, FFS, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!

I have too much to dooooo... :raritydespair:

(I could so be Rarity)

I learned that feel that hard way, too.
At least you're not stupid enough to be like The Descendant and reply to every fave and watch like I am. :facehoof:

Oh gods, it's December. Hard to believe when it's still in the 80s outside. Time to start working on a prompt...

Edit: I'm going with #3, I think, though as more of an introspective piece.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Oh, I'm just stupid in a different way. I try and make a point of responding to intelligent comments in order to encourage more of them, and now there's too many intelligent comments to respond to. And there's other interesting stuff happening as well. Blah.

Hey, btw, you got a link for the pic to #3? I want to link to the proper source if/when I actually finish one of these things.

Aquillo
Group Admin

I had it up at some point. Give me a mo whilst I do some digging...

It's here on Derpibooru. Artist is Egophilliac (same as prompt one); seeing if I can find it on their Deviantart page...

God, I love Egophiliac. I knew it looked familiar, he/she was aping styles at some point and that one came up.
I don't see that one in the DA folders, it might have gotten archived.

Aquillo
Group Admin

It's apparently somewhere on this tumblr. I got to page twenty-five without seeing anything, though.

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

Haven't started yet because I was finishing "Breaking Babs." Will probably spend tomorrow on it.

Ya got me with this one, though. It so happens I want Chronomistress to have twelve chapters, each with a Roman numeral, like the face of a clock. I had already decided chapter XI will be entitled "The Eleventh Hour." It also so happens that the next chapter is V, and then you go and post a Minuette prompt entilted "Five Alive," and then I count up the number of protagonists in the story . . .

Did you do that on purpose?

Anyway, once I get "Five Alive" writ, I'll break the story up properly into separate chapters, and after chapter II is up, I'll submit to EqD and maybe become as popular as you are now. No guarantees I'll finish "Five Alive" by the contest deadline; in fact, I probably won't.

god, this drama tonight has just killed my creative spirit. I can't remember a time in the last four months I've felt LESS like writing anything... :ajsleepy:

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

I spent a good amount of time choosing and I finally dropped it down to one. I pick the prompt of #5, which now that I go back and look at it appears to have changed. Could have sworn that it was slightly different. Either way, I am getting to work now.

Aquillo
Group Admin

It shouldn't be. Either way, you can change either the prompt or image if you wish.

Chin up and forwards with re-organising, I guess.

Oh, and what exactly did you mean by the Poultron thing? I know he's not a mod, but it would be... out of character for him to leave in a giant hissy fit.

Knighty didn't force him from the site, did he?

So much Scootaloo in that story that I can't help but approve.

And yeah, five was kinda intentional: for the number of characters at least. I'm not psychic enough to predict that you were going to give the next chapter a title with five in it.

As for the popularity, you'll probably be more so. You're at seventy seven likes with only four hundred views. EQD's gonna bolster it right up (fingers crossed).

Oh, and the contest deadline's the end of December. That is what you meant, yes? No more Chronomistress till after Christmas, then...

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

I missed the extension of the deadline, actually. I should have it done sooner than that. However, since I'm going to cut the present story up into four chapters and post them in such a way as to give myself a buffer, it will be a while before chapter 5 appears; nonetheless, I'll put chapter 5 on Google Docs or something for the contest . . . though I guess it can't be a formal entry that way. Ah well.

I don't know the exact particulars, I only know that it wasn't Poultron's choice, it was a sudden decision made without much (if any) discussion (this is starting to sound like a pattern now...), and he wasn't very happy about it. I can't recall exactly where it was posted, but the "Hey, Knighty; fuck you" seemed to be plenty acrimonious to us.

So yeah, on the whole, it seems like Knighty prefers to act unilaterally out of impulse. No me gusta.

Just in case I'm not able to get it done, here's what I have in mind. It has to do with the Spike and Rarity picture.

Rarity, having suddenly become addicted to Bon Bon's bonbons, has put on an unladylike amount of weight, and is quite beside herself. Spike, always ready to assist his sweet Rarity, takes it into his own claws to find any means necessary of slimming her down and returning her to her old self. When diets and exercise fail, however, he turns to an old book of Twilight's, telling of an ancient stone with the power to revert altered objects and ponies back to their original state. Will this search turn out fruitful, or be a wild goose chase? Will Rarity regain her elegant figure, or will she be doomed to the life of a couch potato?

Aquillo
Group Admin

Just a reminder: you've got until the end of December.

Going by what you've said, that looks like a fairly entertaining story. I trust you have an adequate resolution in mind?

I hope to conjure one as I go along. :derpytongue2:

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

520140 as directed by Michael Bey

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

That sounds great, although based on your description of the stone's properties, I fear Rarity being turned into an embryo.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm trying not to delve into it too literally. =P

Aquillo
Group Admin

Important business for peps to know

1) Roger -- dude behind the writeoff site -- is considering creating a content delivery system for Fimfiction. As in, you get recommendations for stories based on a story.

It sounds like an awesome idea. Just keeping you guys in the know.

2) /fic/ is planning to raid the feature box and give reviews at some point. At the moment, this is loosely defined as being on the thirteenth.

I think that makes it clear that any updates with a chance of getting featured are to be made on the thirteenth.

Back to the contest...

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Happy holiday for those who celebrate it. For those who don't (and vastly outnumber me) happy...something.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Merry Christmas.

You should join in with the Descendant's drive to get everyone's avatar wearing a hat before Christmas. I'm sure yours would look smashing in it!

Aquillo
Group Admin

Jez, it's been two weeks since this thread last had any action. Guess the week long thing is there for a reason after all.

Anyway, breaking this thread's dry patch with this, based upon prompt one. It's been a long time coming, but I'm at second draft stage now, so... here we go. Time to let the gen. public see.

Oh, and this one's meant to be confusing as hell, btw. I designed it to be. This stems from all my muttered responses of "Vague? VAGUE?! You don't know what the word means if you think this is vague!" to my entry into the last contest.

Oh, and I probs need help with the tags on this. I've gone with Slice Of Life for now, but I fear that either Sad or Tragedy might be needed.

Also, no idea who's still in this contest, so tagging everyone in the hope I can get some form of a sound off. Three, two, one: let's go!

530437>>521216>>521212>>518028

Sir, Blazewing reporting, sir! Status report, unfortunately unable to get past the first part. I just can't focus on much beyond my main story at the moment. My apologies, sir, but I don't believe I'll make it. That is all, sir.

Aquillo
Group Admin

No apologies needed, Lieutenant! You just keep on fighting the good fight 'gainst that Main Story of yours and leave the Side Story battles to the rest of the platoon! War's war, after all; sometimes, you really need to pick and choose your battles.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

567671 567544 521212 518028 I have completed the first half of a story that I can't exactly be sure of the tags for. Here it is, for your editorial pleasure. Part 1/2 of the story : Sweet as Candy. Edit away, even if you can't finish your fic by tomorrow. It will be appreciated.

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

I'll take a look.

I'm afraid my own story is barely started. I got sidetracked by writing about the action girl from G1 grooming the ponies of G4. Sorry.

It's not relevant to the prompts, really, but I did manage to breed a one-shot I'd been sitting on for a while. It's not my best, but I meant it to be harmless and heartwarming, so, in lieu of what could have been, I present A Gift for 'Shy. Enjoy, my friends, and Happy New Year!

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

567671 567544 521212 518028 happy new year, and I will now attend to your fics.

I just joined this group. Is this contest still going on? Because I'd like to participate.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

711422 Actually, we are on another one at the moment, but you are welcome to join that. It's the Practice #9 thread. Also, make sure to post your introduction in the meet and greet thread and welcome to the group.:yay:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 37