SALT Monthly Contest Archive 15 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 65 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 65
Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Here we go again, and with no official SALT to check for a prompter. I guess we do this the same way as last time. Improvise! How about, the first to reply to this will get the coveted position this month? Sound fair? I think so, seeing as how I won't be replying to myself. As for you newbies, this is how this works: Step 1) Get a story prompt. Step 2) Think about it for 3 days. Step 3) Write a summary here in the thread. Step 4) Take a day to critique each one of the fics in turn. Finally, Step 5) tell us if you would actually write your story out. Don't perform all the steps at once. I'll let you know which we are on. At this time, that would be Step 1. Get ready, get set, GO!:yay:

390865 What do you mean by getting a story prompt?

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

390868 And it looks like we have a winner. You now have the singular honor to make up a silly prompt for us to write a story summary about. It can be anything you really want, within reason. you might want to take a look at the past two to see what has been done before. Just make sure its fun!

Since i've got nothing and this idea seems good.
A story about a pony of your choice discovering the internet, and their adventures with it.

Idea! "Spike's One Night Stand-Up"!
A fic about Spike's first experience at the stand-up comedy! Oh, and he is the comedian!

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

390883 Pony discovers the internet, huh? Sounds good to me. Now on to step 2.
390892 Sounds interesting, but you might want to save that for your turn. For now, as stated above, we have 3 days to think up a summary based on Nobel's prompt. :twilightsmile:Get thinking.:eeyup:

Ooops... my bad. Well, hoping for the next time. And thinking... brain status 404.
ON IT! :heart:

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

390901 That works perfectly.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

390902>>390901 Ponies? On the internet? Cool! :rainbowdetermined2:

Just to let everyone know i'm going to be gone for about a week. So good luck with the story, and i'll see you later.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

391089 I am sorry to hear that. That also makes two in a row. Last time Nagagon went to Italy, and we have only just recovered him. I hope this doesn't get to be a tradition.:unsuresweetie:
390990 Wait a minute... we are writing about ponies on the internet, on a website about ponies, located on the internet. :rainbowhuh: I think we are alright though, as long as the ponies don't write fanfics in your story.

Nagagon
Group Contributor

390865>>390868>>390892>>390990

Just a little question, which I think is within everyone's interest:

A story about a pony of your choice discovering the internet, and their adventures with it.

Does it have to a pony? Or can I use any other character?

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

391882 Discord on the internet? Oh dear...

Nagagon
Group Contributor

Not Discord per se, but you could write about the Diamond Dogs, a dragon, griffin, Scootaloo...

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

391927 Isn't 'chickens' stretching 'pony' a bit far?

Where's Aquillo when you need him? :scootangel:

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

391958 Recovering. I think the internet is shoddy in his new coop flat.

Nagagon
Group Contributor

Well, since I'll be asleep by the time we hit the 3 day limit, here goes!

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life, Romance

Setting: Noteworthy, OC, Mane 6, Lyra. After season 2, because I might use references to the wedding just for kicks :derpytongue2:

Main plot: So this guy called Haywire opens up a lan house in Ponyville, the only one of its kind. Ponies think it's a weird thing, until Noteworthy, the blue pony with the eye problem, hides in there. You see, the poor guy is very shy, even more so than world champion Fluttershy. To top it all, he has difficulty talking to mares of any sort (which results in his eye 'twitch'). Haywire has just the thing for him: online dating. The perfect solution for such a good, but shy catch. However, Noteworthy forgets one very crucial detail: Ponyville is a rather small town, and setting the range of the search to 'mares within 10 km' doesn't add much to his list. Things get out of hand when the enamored mares figure out he is the one wooing everypony online. This is a mini-series of 4 chapters, being the first one the basic setting for his online dating account; the second one when he gets hooked and shows his prowess as an online version of Barney Stinson; the third the big mess and the fourth the one where he decides what to do AKA who he's settling down with. He'll choose Rose, only to have another problem show up: the mare won't leave her two best friends alone. Sequel? Maybe.

Genre: Comedy, Random

Setting: Luna, Mane 6, Trixie, OC. After the wedding

Main plot: So this guy called Haywire opens up a lan house in Ponyville, the only of its kind. Being the scientific mare that she is, Twilight goes to the new place to play around investigate. The computers are top-notch and have the most recent and violent fun games released. One in particular catches her attention: a MMORPG/Online FPS. She begins playing it, but then is killed by the most powerful player in the game. She doesn't bother with the guy, but as he kills her time and time again, clearly going only after her, she decides to call in reinforcements: her friends. They all begin practicing with the game, trying to get better every day, as Haywire rolls in the bits, but as they can't defeat the guy no matter what they do, they call upon the infinite wisdom and knowledge of Luna, who shows up to answer to their prayers. However, she fails as well. Without any feasible way of defeating the OP character, the 7 give up and decide to drown their sorrows in the castle's cider cellars. Little did they know that the gamer was no one other then the GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE, GREATEST GAMER OF ALL AND FINALLY SHE HAS EXACTED HER REVENGE OVER TWILIGHT SPARKLE! The magician unicorn had rented the whole upper floor for her to use ever since he opened up shop, living there using only bread and water as nourishment, which causes her to collapse. Haywire finds himself in a very troubled situation and that's the end.

Considering I missed the last prompt, I'd say coming up with these 2 is worth the trouble. I had another one in mind where Chrysalis becomes mortally obese due to the excess love for her on the internet, but I couldn't develop the idea well =p

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Alright. I have one too.
Genre: Random

Setting: At a mysterious dial-up computer

Story: A quick fic about the Flim Flam brothers and how they invent the pony version of SPAM. Most of the fic would be describing things like horn extension ads, you may have already won ten thousand bits, and click here for your free apple! Not too much plot, but at the end they end up unable to enjoy their own time on the internet due to the online monster they created.

Well, I may as well give this a shot.

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life

Setting: Ponyville in general

Story: While seeing what the hype about "Internet" is all about, the Main 6 stumble upon an inviting-looking advice column, a sort of online "Dear Abby", if you will, with a promise to respect the privacy and anonymity of each client. The girls feel assured in this, and thus begin asking for advice in various problems or issues they've been experiencing. At first, everything seems hunky-dory, but when Ponyville begins to become unusually cognizant of what was supposed to be behind sealed doors, something rotten may be afoot...

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Now that all the participants have thrown in their monthly salvos, let's start up with phase 4. 393102 it looks like you get to go first.
393492 391089 and 390892 Don't be shy, throw in your opinions on his story. Just because he went to Italy recently doesn't mean he has mafia ties. :rainbowhuh:

Sorry about my lack of work. I'm just very busy. Working on a fan-show, must talk with the guys from LoE for a collab, must finish concept art, scripts for Nebraska Con...
Heh...

Both of these ideas are very interesting. I personally would never have thought to choose a background character like Noteworthy as your main focus, for the first one. It's also a pretty humorous concept, seeing as how, as far as I see, there are a lot more female ponies in Ponyville than male ones. The reference to How I Met Your Mother is also a bonus in itself.
As for the second, it's only fitting that the Great and Powerful Trixie would be the one trolling our heroes, even online. Still, maybe you should have kept the identity of your villain a secret, to add suspense, or at least leave a subtle clue to who it might be.
Those are my 2 cents, and all in all, I think any of these could work.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

393102 quite an idea for that first one. Perhaps a few cases of mistaken identity before zeroing in on your main cyclops. After all, he has anonymity. Why not let ponies assume he was Big Mac or something.

Edit: That second one might even tie into the first, considering they both happen at the same place. Simultaneous stories are fun if they have events cross them often. Also, to have Luna fail at this game would probably start her obsession with gaming online. Spike would be a good choice to introduce Twilight to the game in the first place. Twilight needs a really obvious handle though.

394389 It's no problem. All of us are pretty busy this month. Aquillo is stranded without Internet, Fred, DGD and myself are working on NaPoWriMo and Nagagon has Double Rainboom duties.

To everyone else, feel free to ignore my fic tomorrow. Then we can get into blazewing's.

Ok, im back from camping. It's scary when i boot up this website and see that every story i follow has updated like 3 times and i have over 100 notifications, but aside from that i read all the prompts and they seem really good.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Haha, my strange voodoo worked! Everyone forgot to comment on my summary. I guess that just means that 394450 is up. Don't forget about his, though!:trixieshiftleft:
397545 did you have a nice trip?

Aw, crud, I didn't know we had a time limit. Let me make mine for yours real quick. The idea sounds like it has potential for hilarity, and I have to admit I like the sound of "Flim Flam Spam". Random is as random does. =)

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

393492 Alright, here are my two bits on yours. First, for the column, if you were to write it, make sure you write the letters in the format of an actual advice column. it separates it from the fic, and gives a nice impression. As for the story itself, shenanigans will occur if you are overly obvious about the supposedly unknown correspondent. Such as: a letter from "Miss Fingers" talking about her obsession with hands and subsequent roommate problems, or a message from "Brains and brawn" complaining about the night shift worker at his job. It could end up quite amusing.:pinkiehappy:
397545 394389 393102 391958 Don't forget to throw in something for him too.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Really guys?:pinkiegasp: Nothing? Uggh!:raritydespair: Sorry 398375, usually by now we would have at least 2 more comments on your summary, but I guess mine will have to do this time. :fluttercry:
397545 394389 393102 391958 and everyone else, that wraps it up for the month. Just one question left: would you write out the stories you summarized here?

Sorry, i haven't been able to comment on anything, but i'm leaving for college this friday so i'm kinda busy with packing and getting ready, so it'll take me a while to get settled. It doesn't help that the website isn't sending me email's when someone replies to the thread, so i have to manually check when i can.

I don't know for sure if I'd write my idea or not. I'm still wrapped up with one story project or two, so it'd be hard to focus on it. I might, but I'm not sure at this point. That's all I can say on that.

Nagagon
Group Contributor

Wow, I just got the notification I was mentioned here. Weird fimfiction is weird :rainbowhuh:

Anyways, about my stories, I'd probably write them out of boredom. I like to plan my stories detail by detail and the ones I put here are, well, made on the spot. I rarely write something on the spot...

...but when I do, I write 7000 words in a day. Which reminds me I'll be posting it some time this week. Or... I could try to send it to NaPoWriMo... can I do that? It has already started, after all.

100 notifications?! Ahhhh, the good life of getting people to read your story by the thousands *sips cup of tea, spits it out* THIS IS NOT CAPPUCCINO!!! :flutterrage:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

400394 Sorry I didn't make something, I was busy getting set up for school. I'll try to be around next time...

ANYWAY. 398375 Advice column with comedic elements? I'd read it. Let's see... I assume you've got Cutie Mark Crusaders jokes, Lyra hang jokes, Celestia cake jokes... what about a letter from Cheerilee looking for advice on clearing up the Hearts and Hooves Day mess?

Well, since i didn't come up with a story, i would still say if i did come up with something i would write as long as i had someone to help me with the intro (since i can't start a story to save my life ), and someone to keep me in check as i can make stories spiral in all kinds of directions.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

401632 Good to hear. I have little problem with what you need assistance on so once things settle down for me, I can give you the help you seek.

400692 I know the feeling. I am headed back myself in a bit over a week.

400608 I wonder if tea flavored like cappuccino would work out.

As for my fic, it only will be written if I have no other ideas at the time, or if I get into an odd mood.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

400608 I don't think we submit to NaPoWriMo, we just send them an email so they put us on the list of members, and then they'll make a list of who wrote what and what-not at the end of the month.
HEY. That was my good rug... take this cookie and step away from valuable objects, please. 0.o

Nagagon
Group Contributor

Lesson #354: never set something ablaze that you cannot easily fix, replace or blame on somepony else.

:pinkiehappy:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

402023 Oh dear... is that a threat...? :twilightoops:

Nagagon
Group Contributor

I don't know, but if I can come up with a rule like that, you better be afraid :pinkiecrazy:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

402061 Have you ever looked at the Dr Wondertainment SCPs? After that book, I think they'd be right up your alley. 0.o

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

402079 aww, not that again. Besides, I have a grudge against that SCP holding facility. No matter what I do, or who I do it to, they STILL haven't accepted my application for residence. :pinkiecrazy:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

402237 Have you tried breathing fire? They sometimes reply to that. Babble about the 'Great Master' coming who will 'Scour the World Clean' as well. Then they put you at top-level so they can study you.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

402283 please. Breathing fire was the first thing I tried, and I don't think they consider Sethisto enough of a threat despite his attitude toward public service cleaning.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

402311 Nonono, you don't say 'Sethisto.' They can dispel worry on that one with a Google Search. No, you whisper and whimper about the 'Great One' who is coming. Leave it vague, it leaves it to their imagination, and the Foundation has a VERY active imagination. They'll create the 'Great One' FOR you, and then lock you up for it.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

402407 I've thought about it, but whimpering isn't very fun. If I am going to be mysterious about it, I may as well go the whole distance and shout it out with gusto. Loud, obnoxious and completely unfounded boasting. Kind of reminds me of someone, but I can't think who.:trixieshiftright:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

404308 Hmmm... that'll get attention, sure. But you need something to scare them. Maybe stare off into space, smile darkly and whisper 'He's coming' once every 47 days?

404308>>404494 Whats this talk about SCP's

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

411425 Our last round of actual SALT consisted of writing SCP stories for Ravensdagger. Stupid Creepy and Pointless... is unfortunately not the definition of the acronym:facehoof:. Secure Contain Protect, I believe is the correct term.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

This reminds me. The month is almost over. I'll try to bug Raven for another prompt. If I do it early, he might just pay attention to me.:rainbowlaugh:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

411425 scp-wiki.net. It's a website with containment procedures for all sorts of nasties that want to eat your heart/brain/insert organ here, and how to deal with them. It actually gets pretty dang creepy, and the SALT competition a while back was to make one. I dunno if it'll ever be published though. XD

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 65