School for New Writers 5,008 members · 9,608 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

Dependent Clauses, or Why Your Commas Are (Mostly) Wrong

Everyone uses dependent clauses (a.k.a. subordinate clauses) quite often in writing. It's one of the things that keeps the narrative from becoming really boring. However, the punctuation of dependents in fanfics is sketchy at best. I have read/proofread/edited many stories where comma usage with dependent clauses was a recurring issue (and has caused more than one heated discussion about the finer technical points of punctuation); so I believe that this is a lesson everyone should be able to get something out of.

First, what's the difference between independent and dependent clauses?
*An independent clause is one that can stand alone as a complete, simple sentence.
*A dependant clause is used to augment an independent with additional information and cannot stand-alone as a sentence.

Alright, now that that's out of the way... What's the deal with dependent clauses?
There are three types of dependent clauses:

Adverbial
Adjectival
Nominal

The bad part about them is that each has different punctuation rules (it's the commas that get tricky with clauses). We'll just go through each of them, one at a time.

1) Adverbial Clauses
As the name implies, an adverbial clause acts much the same as a single-word adverb does within an independent clause. The adverbial clause adds description to a verb and answers one of the following questions:

where?
why?
how?
when?
to what degree?

An adverbial clause always starts with a subordinating conjunction.
*Common subordinating conjunctions:
after in order (that) unless
although insofar as until
as in that when
as far as lest whenever
as soon as no matter how where
as if now that wherever
as though once whether
because provided (that) while
before since why
even if so that
even though supposing (that)
how than
if that
inasmuch as though
in case (that) till

Comma usage with adverbial clauses:
Commas with adverbial clauses are wholly depend on the placement of the adverbial clause.
*If the sentence is structured with the adverbial clause before the independent clause, a comma is needed.
*A comma is not needed if the adverbial clause is placed after the independent clause.

Examples of adverbial clauses and punctuation (Independent clauses are in black, adverbial clauses in green)

As the dragon wandered off to retrieve the supplies, Twilight swung the door fully open and walked out into the room.

The adverbial clause came before the independent, so it gets a comma.
This one answers the question 'when?'
When did Twilight open the door? answer: as the dragon wandered off

Trixie had no money because her caravan had been crushed.

This adverbial clause came after the independent, so it does not get a comma.
This one answers the question 'why?'
Why did Trixie have no money? answer: because her caravan had been crushed

2) Adjectival Clauses
Just like a single-word adjective, an adjectival clause describes a noun of the sentence's independent clause and answers one of these questions:

which one?
what kind?

An adjectival clause usually starts with a relative pronoun.
*Common relative pronouns:

that
which
who
whom
whose

*A note on relative pronouns:
Use who, whom, or whose to describe people.
Use that or which to describe things.

An adjectival clause may also sometimes start with certain subordinating conjunctions, such as:
when—to describe a time
where—to describe a place
why—to describe a reason

Adjectival clauses alwayscome after the subject, usually immediately.

Comma usage with adjectival clauses:
Comma use with adjectival clauses depends upon essentiality of the adjectival clause.
If the adjectival clause is essential (or "needed"), no commas should be used to separate it from the main clause.
Generally, essential adjectival clauses should not begin with which.

Examples of essential adjectival clauses (Independent clauses are in black, adjectival clauses in green)

Ponies who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I have an apple that I took off a tree.

Since the adjectival clauses in the above examples are needed to clarify the noun that they describe, they are essential and should not be separated from the rest of the sentence with commas.

If the adjectival clause is nonessential (or "not needed"), commas should separate it from the main clause. Nonessential adjectival clauses should not begin with that.

Examples of nonessential adjectival clauses (Independent clauses are in black, adjectival clauses in green)

The Mirror Pool, which is located in the Everfree Forest, is a dangerous magical relic.

I sent the letter to Arcana, who manages all magical research in Canterlot.

Since the adjectival clauses in the above examples are not needed to clarify the noun that they describe, they are nonessential and should be separated from the rest of the sentence with commas.

How about a side-by-side example of essential and nonessential adjectival clauses?

Raindrops boarded a ship that was headed for Manehatten.
Essential, no comma.

Raindrops boarded the HMS Celestia’s Pride, which is steaming to Manehatten.
Nonessential, comma.

Are we sufficiently confused yet?
Here’s an easy way to usually figure out if you have an essential or nonessential clause:
Most of the time (but not always) if the adjectival clause is used to describe a proper noun, it is nonessential and will require a comma(s) to separate it from the rest of the sentence.
If the adjectival clause is used to describe a common noun, it is essential and does not require commas (again, not always, but mostly).

Also, don’t forget the rules above about not starting nonessentials with ‘that’ and not starting essentials with ‘which’.

Now for the last type of dependant clause (and the easiest):

3) Nominal Clauses

The nice thing about nominal clauses is that they do not require any special punctuation. A nominal clause names a person, place, thing, or idea; much like a noun does. A nominal clause may function as any of the following in a sentence:
subject object of preposition retained object
subjective complement direct object
appositive indirect object

Nominal clauses may begin with interrogatives:
who whom what which whoever whomever whatever when where how why

An interrogative beginning a nominal clause has a specific function within the clause.

Examples of interrogative nominal clauses:
Nominal clause as a subject in a sentence:

Why you did that is a mystery to me.
The nominal clause is the subject of ‘is’, and ‘why’ is an adverb within the nominal clause.

Nominal clause as subjective complement in a sentence:

On Nightmare Night, you can be whomever you want.
‘Whomever’ is the direct object of ‘want’ within the nominal clause.

Nominal clause as an object of preposition in a sentence:

They argued about how they should split the bill.
‘How’ is an adverb within the nominal clause.

Nominal clause as a direct object in a sentence:

No one would tell me who came to Pinkie’s party.
The nominal clause is the direct object of ‘tell’ and ‘who’ is a subject within the nominal clause.

Nominal clause as an indirect object in a sentence:

Applejack gave what Twilight suggested a try.
The nominal clause is an indirect object of ‘gave’ and ‘what’ is a direct object of ‘suggested’ within the nominal clause.

Nominal clause as a retained object in a sentence:

Diamond Tiara has always been given whatever she wants.
The nominal clause is the retained object of ‘has been given’, and ‘whatever’ is a direct object of ‘wants within the nominal clause.

Easy, right? But wait, there’s more!

Nominal clauses may also begin with expletives:
that whether if

An expletive beginning a nominal clause has no function within the nominal clause.

Examples of expletive nominal clauses:

The question is whether he can do the job.
The nominal clause acts as a subjective complement.

The fact that you are here is reassuring.
The nominal clause acts as an appositive of ‘fact’.

I don’t know if it is raining.
The nominal clause acts as a direct object.

So, there you have it. A comprehensive go-to guide on dependent clause punctuation. Now you have no excuse for misplaced commas when dealing with dependent clauses. Your proofreaders and editors will thank you, trust me.

If you did take the time to read through the entirety of this guide: Thanks and I hope it helps you in your pony-writing endeavors.

-NATOstrike

This is better than an English class at school!

That cleared up alot for me too.

Thank you for that good lecture.

I don't brag but this stuff isn't new to me. :applejackunsure:

After one whole year, something I half-know about! I shall keep this thread in mind from now on... finally a useful English lesson and not garbage...

Azu

Since when do you teach in here?

Nice lecture btw, very informitive. :raritywink:

1309675 I think I'm in love with this group right now.

Azu

The lectures are wonderful, I read everyone of them. Super helpful! :twilightsmile:

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

That was by far one of the most professional lectures ever given on this forum. Welcome to the faculty, good sir.

By the way, Klondike has returned, y'all.:yay:

Informative, although I do believe I already did all of that through experience.

1309675 Oh god, eighth grade grammar is coming back to me
WHY
Oh wait, I was in eighth grade last year.
And I'm going to be learning about this more for the next 4 years.
;~;

What a great post.

>Logs on next day to check Fimfiction and lord it over the group as it's leader.

By the way, Klondike has returned, y'all.

Dammit.

Edit: Glad your back.

In this part

Most of the time (but not always) if the adjectival clause is used to describe a proper noun, it is nonessential and will require a comma(s) to separate it from the rest of the sentence.

If the adjectival clause is used to describe a common noun, it is essential and does not require commas (again, not always, but mostly).

Would you kindly highlight "proper noun" and "common noun"? :twilightsmile:
Would make lecture even better.

Still reading...

This... That... That makes SO MUCH SENSE NOW! :pinkiegasp:
In English class we had teacher say "Commas? Nah, forget about them. They are not needed in English language".

Why, thank you. I'll do my best to put together a few more ridiculously thorough posts on the finer points of grammar and punctuation. :rainbowkiss:

Since shortly after I posted this lecture, it would seem.

In English class we had teacher say "Commas? Nah, forget about them. They are not needed in English language".

And people wonder why kids are graduating from high school without the basic knowledge to function productively in society.

To give you some extra praise... Even my native language (Russian) teachers and textbooks couldn't explain commas in a way you did. :facehoof:

And they are used in a SAME WAY! :flutterrage:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16