Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
toafan
Group Admin

There's been some rearranging. This was inspired by me looking for fics to recommend elsewhere.

I'm not sure if we've got a job anymore. The group Seattle's Angels is doing pretty much the same thing as us. The difference is, theirs actually, you know, works. (I found out about them from a Wanderer D post, so I'm sure there's an element of daring much there, but still. :coolphoto:) So I ask you all: Now what?

sgtnolisten
Group Contributor

481844 Keep going. Just because someone else is doing it as well, doesn't mean there can't be more people to provide more eyes to search the archives.

toafan
Group Admin

481853 Well, of course we keep looking. I'm just thinking like "maybe we should re-direct submissions to them".

We could...
- Tweak our charter so our similarities and differences are more evident (I've got a weekly show-down type idea, for example)
- Encourage people who post here to consider them as well
- Position ourselves as a pre-sort for them -- Mention our group to them, publicize a little more, with the idea being that they could look here for potential fics and this is a more-open place to post things
Anyone have any other ideas?

If anyone feels like submitting to them, this is their submission thread.

Periphery
Group Admin

Huh, I didn't realize how many stories were up for resorting. I was away from home for most of October, then didn't think to check the group folders once I got back.

Anyway! It does seem like there are a few key differences between the groups, probably the most important one being that their group has journal entries featured on the front page of the site. Despite that, I don't think they render us obsolete at all.

For one thing, their group seems to have a much more intensive process, with the actual reviews for only a few stories, and the requirement that their reviewers all have to approve a story. That plus the fact that they don't really let the users submit stories makes them less interactive, so maybe we could even get them to mention us as another group with a different approach to a similar purpose, where the members themselves can participate, or at least be a possible source for them. I think I'll pick out one of the stories from our group to mention in their suggestion thread, then plug our group as a whole.

One thing, though, I'm still finding our sorting method kind of clumsy. Arranging them by number of views was a good idea, but I'm iffy on how it's working out with the features of the site. Having to remove, then resubmit each story every time it gains 100 more views... I don't know, I guess it's not that big of a problem. Although, there was a story that inadvertently ended up removed from the group, because its author made it no longer searchable or something. It still showed up in our group, but when I tried to bump it up a folder, it wouldn't let me, after I'd already taken it out of the previous folder.

Last, there's something semi-related I want to gripe about, and this seems like as good of a place as any. It irritates me that Knighty removed the ability to filter searches by stories you've already read. That was the main way I chose fics to submit to this group, because of our "Stories should be at least a couple days old" rule. Any time I read a good story from the front page, it's too new to know if it's going to gain much attention or not, so like once a week I'd search all the stories I've read, and arrange them by number of views to look for good candidates for the group. Now I just have to try to remember to check back on stories later, and I usually read too many to think to do that. It'd be nice if Knighty would stop removing useful functions of the site.

Well, I think I've written waaay too much already, so I'll stop rambling now.

toafan
Group Admin

482083 Funny, I was going to submit one or two stories from here myself. What were you planning on mentioning?

I'm in the habit of adding stories to the new folder first, and then removing them.

You could park them in you favorites temporarily? That's the only place filter-by-read still works. You could also park them in you read later temporarily, but then you still have to find them again. Bookmarks could also work?

(I'm such a fixer. I'm sorry. :twilightoops:)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5