Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Periphery
Group Admin

One of the group's guidelines has been getting ignored quite a bit recently, so I just wanted to remind everyone that stories should never be submitted here the day they're first published on the site. Wait until they're a few days old, minimum, preferably more like a week or two, to be sure that "buried" actually applies. Two of the three most recent submissions to the group are right now sitting in the featured box on the front page of the site, because they're still brand new fics. They both look like interesting stories, but they certainly don't need this group's help to get any more attention, so I'm probably going to remove them from the group.

And there have been several other stories that, while they weren't featured, were still new enough that they gained a couple hundred more views soon after being submitted to the group. So just...yeah, wait until they're old enough to be truly buried.

toafan
Group Admin

Are we sure a few days is enough? I was assuming more like a month or so. (Although there's really no reason it couldn't drop off the front page permanently in only a day or two...) I think that's one of the things we still need to officially decide, though.

Periphery
Group Admin

A few days does seem a little low, yes, but I'm also concerned that by the time a story is a month old, some writers may have already given up on continuing a fic if it's been largely ignored by then. If we wanted a firm number instead of just a vague "a few days" I'd go with 1 week, but I figured the fewer arbitrarily defined numbers, the better, and hoped people would just apply judgement to the basic concept.

But really, the only time I've seen it cause problems is with fics submitted within a day or so of being published on the site. Just yesterday, someone completely ignored that rule again and submitted two more brand new stories, one of which quickly fell to a 3-3 vote ratio, and the other jumped up enough views that it was already in the wrong folder within hours. But now that more time has passed, their standings haven't changed much more. Fics usually seem like they've mostly stabilized after a few days, unless they end up on EqD or something.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4