Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Periphery
Group Admin

Well, I just flooded you all with a couple dozen notifications. The more stories we get in the folders, the more I wonder if shuffling the fics around becomes obnoxious, so, sorry if that got a bit annoying there. I like to move them in clusters, though, so that new stories will stand out more as the individual notifications.

There's also a few stories that no longer met the requirements, but I can never quite decide what to do with those. The rules do say stories that accumulate negative votes are subject to removal, but I don't really just want to yank every story the instant it slips under 90%, so I just shifted them for now.

And I just noticed a couple old threads had new comments in them. It'd really be nice if forum threads sent out notifications to admins.

I'm also not sure what I should do about stories I didn't really like much, but technically qualify. It's an awkward feeling to read a story, think it was just so-so, then see it pop up in the group a few days later. But I just leave those alone too, since my opinion shouldn't really be the ultimate verdict. It is largely why the "We'd prefer you not submit your owns fics" semi-rule makes sense, though.

toafan
Group Admin

984840 Gee, you know, I was just thinking about this stuff the other day, after talking with Casual. I was gonna pop up a different thread talking about a bunch of stuff. I'll go skim through the forums, but then I'm still going to do that, unless you object.

Periphery
Group Admin

I was also planning to start a new thread probably later today, asking for opinions about a few points that Casual Quill raised in one of those other threads. Depending on how many things you're planning to talk about, we might want to coordinate them.

One of my topics was going to be whether members prefer massive overhaul shuffles like we've been doing, or more frequent notifications from moving fics as they move up the chain. But now I'm liking the idea of just having a weekly shuffle, so I'll probably put that topic closer to a "This is what's going to happen" than a "What do you think should happen?"

The other issue I wanted to bring up was reorganizing the folders based on votes instead of views. That definitely has complications, as I mentioned in 984937, so I'm really unsure.

We could just merge those into your thread, but I don't know what you have planned for yours, so it might be better to keep them separate.

I also just had a thought that maybe we should add a separate folder for stories that fail the 90% positive votes criteria, but are actually quite good regardless. Sometimes fics get down-voted for stupid reasons, and that doesn't mean they're bad.

toafan
Group Admin

Well, the main question I raised was "how do you use the groups' folders", which I think is closer to what you actually want to know with "Should we do weekly shuffles?" But I also dumped a bunch of other stuff in. Maybe I should split those. You wanna take a look and tell me whether you think I should split that into two threads? The first would be a specific poll, and the other would be more of a "here's a couple ideas, which do you think should happen?"

Periphery
Group Admin

I don't think you need to split it up; it's all related.

Also, I edited my comment a few minutes before you replied to it, so you might not have noticed that bit I added at the end.

toafan
Group Admin

I'm pretty sure I saw that, I just didn't bother to reply to it at the time.

If we switched to a recommendations-based system, then looking at votes would become more a guideline than anything else. Unless it's close to universally hated, group-member recommendations probably trump easily-gamed sitewide votes. Also, group members would (presumably) vote on candidates, making the issue somewhat self-correcting. This assumes switching to a recommendation-based system, of course.

What would you think of a monthly "hey, what do you think of these" (I'm picturing a folder, cleared and re-filled monthly) and a weekly featured? I'm coming at this from a recommendations-system perspective, so it may not make sense if we don't switch to one. A weekly shuffle, maybe with one 'recommend of the week', would make more sense if we keep our current criteria.

Periphery
Group Admin

You just barely beat me to it, but I pretty much covered most of that with the reply in your thread. I only talked about the Recommended Fics idea briefly, but it could easily integrate what you're suggesting. I don't mind the idea of two functions running in parallel, but I do want to hang onto the notion that promoting fics that have gone mostly unnoticed is one of the most important considerations.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7