Twishy 1,121 members · 504 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

You know, i`ve been thinking a bit.
From all ships this one seems to make the least sence of them all.

Kitchensink x Dash makes more sense.....

Their personalities are just so clashing that I really wonder how on Gaia`s green earth this would ever be consideret to be a functional relationship.
Maybe I`m just to stupid to understand, but can anyone out there explain this ship a bit better?

I look at shipping as fun as long as it isn't canon, just have fun with it. :ajsmug:

But i think the reasons people like FlutterDash so mush is that they are cute together. :scootangel:
And done correctly they can be a relay good couple, only if it is done right tho. :raritywink:

3036807 I personally believe this ship to be so prevalent for two primary reasons:
1. Exactly what you said

Their personalities are just so clashing

"Opposites attract" as they say. One of the same reasons TwiDash/RariJack is so popular. They are so different that they compliment each other.

2. Their history. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have known each other since they were young fillies. They already have a strong bond. Some interpret the chemistry between them to be romantic.

I'm certain there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Flutterdash!? In TwiShy?! I totally agree though. Those two together are just so cute! *Fluttershy squee*

You're not stupid, the pairing has just never been explained in a way that actually makes sense. I don't think the "It's cute!" explanation works, these six ponies are all adorable, so any pairing could be "cute", I think it's more important to focus on their personalities.

1: Personally, that explanation has always annoyed me. "Opposites Attract" only works if the opposing traits are compatible. Rainbow Dash is too impulsive and too rough for a shy, timid mare like Fluttershy, Fluttershy needs someone who would be more patient and gentle with her, and patient and gentle are two words I would not use to describe Rainbow Dash. Twilight and Applejack are both better choices for that, I think. I once heard someone describe Rainbow as being a "Guardian Angel" for Fluttershy. That explanation lost me the moment they compared Rainbow Dash of all ponies to an angel. Oh yes, doesn't "Opposites Attract" generally only work for sex?

I have the same complaint about Twilight x Rainbow Dash, especially as Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie are also Twilight's opposites, and Rainbow being the....least kind....of the Mane Six actually makes her the LEAST appealing choice. Her rather high opinion of herself is also rather off putting.

Don't even get me started on RariJack.

2: We know they met ONCE in their youth, but there's no proof as far as I know that they maintained a friendship. Even if they had, I think that would make this pairing even more unlikely, since Fluttershy would know how rough and confrontational Dash is, and I think the shy mare would be more drawn to someone with a much more gentle and caring personality. Again, Twilight or Applejack

I could go on, but I'd just be quoting myself directly from the blog I wrote about a bunch of pairings that don't make sense to me. Including FlutterDash, TwiDash (:twilightangry2::pinkiesick:) and RariJack.

I really bugs me when people jump on random pairings for what feel like shallow reasons. Next think you know, people will be pairing up Applejack and Trixie just because they both wear hats.

GjallarFox
Group Admin

What hath ye done? Wherefore art thou speaking of that ship on my ship?

I am disappoint.

</3 DarqFox

3036807 That is a sin to talk of that shipping in this here group! A plague on your stories! :flutterrage:

Just kidding but this is for our bookworm and nature lover to get together with kisses and hugs and some clop sprinkled here and there. Enjoy!

:yay::heart::twilightsmile: = :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have an interesting dynamic to say the least. As some previous commenters have said, Fluttershy needs a person who is gentle and understanding. However, many of you are disregarding Rainbow here. Rainbow needs someone very patient to be with her because she is extremely rash and impulsive, and often makes mistakes. No one is more patient or understanding than Fluttershy. Another piece of the puzzle lies in this, “Rainbow Dash is too impulsive and too rough for a shy, timid mare like Fluttershy,” a lot of people don’t give Flutters the credit she deserves. She’s not a fragile piece of fine china that needs protecting, she has thicker skin than that, and many people either don’t acknowledge that, or haven’t realized it yet. As seasons have passed, Flutters has become stronger, and Rainbow has become more mature. Overall, the ship is considerably more plausible now than it was when it had just started.

On another note, Rainbow has shown that she can be gentle, and can be understanding. Just look at Hurricane Fluttershy! Especially in season four, we’re seeing a new, more adventurous side to Fluttershy.

If you look at the root of the matter though, people will like what they like. You can try to justify it, but that doesn’t really change your opinion at the end of the day.

Doctor Proctal
Group Contributor

Eh, it's not like he's promoting it, sir.
Just that he's asking the questions that we should be asking about rival naval powers.
...Like how the fuck they keep getting so many members and stories? ...Sir.

But yeah, in general I don't really get TwiDash or FlutterDash. I mean I can see the opposites attract appeal and the whole "history" and "guardian angel" spiel, but I can't fully see how it would work, y'know? Rainbow Dash is very hard to ship in general in my eyes, y'know, with the whole aspiring to be in the Wonderbolts deal. It'd make much more sense for her to be in a relationship with one of the bolts as they're with each other more often. I mean yes, parting makes the heart grow fonder, but it also can do the opposite, making it feel lonely or whatever.

...Hmm, that gives me an idea for a fic.

I think, like most of the contributors to this thread have said, this ship does have its merits. Quite frankly, compared to some of the other Mane 6 ships (read Twikie) this one is veritably seaworthy. While I love TwiShy with all my heart, sirs, I do think one could make an equally good case for FlutterDash.

That said, other than TwiShy, I'd be more inclined towards Flarity. I think that has a lot of potential. I don't just ship one ship, you know? There's a lot to be said for a lot of ships. I have ones that I like and ones that I don't, but given the nature of shipping, I don't think there's a single one which has absolutely no merit whatsoever. You can make a case for just about anything.

There are people I know IRL who are married and have families with people and I think, those two, how do they even stand the sight of one another? Yet they do and they love one another. You can't judge a book by its cover just as you can't judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover.

GjallarFox
Group Admin

I understand why he's speaking of the enemy ship, but that doesn't make me dislike it any less. And story, eh? I await it.

Either way, the PS TwiShy is still my Mothership, and it shall stay that way.

</3 DarqFox

Doctor Proctal
Group Contributor

The TwiShy's my flagship, sir. Mothership is usually associated with space and aliens, so my Mothership would have to be Tali and Shepard. ...Sir.
also I completely forgot the idea I had whoopsie

Agreed, limiting yourself is kinda self-restrictive in that you don't, out of fear of betraying your ship, enjoy other stories or art. Like, for example, I've got a few TwiDash stories on my favorites. Doesn't mean I can't be the First Mate for TwiShy, y'know?

3037425 "Guardian angel" because RD has the audacity to fight off social monsters. lol. Twilight works too, but I'd use another term to describe the role; something like a reflective mentor.

3222977 My meaning was that Dash is too hostile and confrontational to be compared to an angel. Twilight's much kinder personality is easier to make that comparison for.

3235725 lol hostile. Enlighten me, to whom would Dash be best sincerely shipp'd with?
Is it amusing to pair fools with fools? I don't mean it in a sarcastic way, I think even hostile ones deserve some love.

3235933 I'm not saying she doesn't deserve love, I'm saying it's overdone when considering there are other options.

"Sincerely" shipped with? I'm not sure what you mean there.

3236136 basically in your ol' so humble opinion, "then what works"? who do you ship dash with? if you ship her at all.

3236283 I can't say I care for your tone, there.

Primarily I can see Dash with Pinkie or Soarin', more likely the latter, as the stereotype of Dash being a lesbian just because she's a tomboy is way overdone, and out of place in a show that tries to defy stereotypes.

3243885 My tone is ironic. And in my ol' humble opinion, I ship her with Java. This conversation is over.
P.S. If being "gay" means Dash can be with wonderfully un-biased mares like Twi or Flutter, then I'm fine with it. You are entitled to your penchant for your ships, and same with mine. G'bye; and have a splendid day.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19