Southern Ponies 52 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

That action is being tossed around a lot lately...Does anyone else think that the very idea of it would be stupid?:ajbemused:

2765794 It's something certain states' representatives (including my own) have been threatening to do for some time now, but I've seen nothing to suggest that anyone actually intends to act upon it. But I agree, it would be rather idiotic.

2766023 I'm fairly certain they would get thrown out of office, quite literally, if they tried that..We are a LOT more unified of a country than we were in the 1860s.

2765800 Apparently they want to fight the "Tyrannical communism" that the country has been taken over by..:ajbemused:

Um... No....

It will absolutely never happen. It's not even remotely worth thinking about for longer than a nanosecond. I mean like, to be honest, this ain't even worth a forum post.

2767761 Yea..I just wanted everyone's thoughts on it..Apparently, "The people want it!" :ajsleepy: How are they our representatives again?

2768781 I guarantee you no one wants it. Can you give me the name(s) of the representatives who said that? Were they local or federal? And which state specifically? I don't mean to sound like I don't trust you; I just wanna know who is saying this shit.

We fucking learned our lesson in 1865. Unity always trumps division. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Blood was shed, on both sides, for this.

2769361 Well, i wasn't quoting them, but as far as i am aware, that is basically what they are saying...Mainly, the only one i paid attention to is my state's very own..Texas Governor Rick Perry...I have heard small things about more local politicians (Not in my area, but you know..mayors and the like..), but i rarely pay attention.. I have heard ones from others, but i can't really recall them..

2775048 That's scary, despite the meaninglessness of the idea, when it's coming from a governor. But I can see local politicians suggesting secession (try saying that five times fast) just to get attention. They gotta get known somehow.

2776185 Yea...Something tells me it won't get them votes, though...Especially since there's been a noticable shift in state politics..With all the stupid, Texas might start ending up being a swing-state..which honestly shocks me.

2776303 I don't live in Texas so I can't really comment on y'all's politics. Texas becoming a swing state, though? First I've heard of that.

2776408 Well, not soon..but if it keeps up like this...who knows..2020 might be different..Because even if you live under an outhouse, there is only so much stupid you can take. :ajbemused:

2776468 Change, lies, and stupidity are the only constants when it comes to politics.

My loyalty is to the United States.
No state, no government, no person will make me think otherwise.
We may not always fulfill our own ideals, sometimes going even so far as to brutally subvert them, but I rather live by them how and when I can, rather than be forced into a division.

Besides, it would be a completely idiotic move both economically and militarily.
What happened the last time the South tried to secede from the Union?
Besides, the loyalty to the state matters less in the modern era, rather than to one's own fellow countrymen...

Or so I hope at least, even as our own government both state and federally continue to commit actions that make me groan with every passing day.

Bah. :facehoof:

What is an adult high school student to do here?
One cannot summon someone influential at the click of a button.

While I doubt an individual state could secede from the union, I do think we're getting close to a point in the future where corporations based in the united states will. There's already rumblings about trying to set up company headquarters in international waters, or out and out buying small sovereign-nations from which to run businesses (Dubai is probably a good example of what this would look like). Now, if something like that were to occur, I have to wonder what the general workforce would do. I mean even now most people have to move where their jobs require them to work...could a new stipulation of employment be renouncing ones citizenship and swearing allegiance to the company? If so I think Walmart's already well on its way with their little pledge you have to recite.

Just remember kiddies, every crazy idea or stupid thing your representatives come up with was probably spoon fed to them by some interest group with more money than sense. When a politician says they are a champion of the people, I'm sure he or she is chuckling ever so slightly about companies being considered people now.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18