The Lunaverse 2,569 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

To my opinion it was good, though they never explained why the 3 races separated and became kinda hostile to each other. Which is strange this is G4 in future. Because there are many references and Easter eggs (such as the wonderbolt poster) of the g4 era as I will call from now on.

I hope the show will explain more what happened between g4 and g5. And where the deux machina namely the 3 crystals came from.

Last but not least I hope we will get to see the 3 villains Cozy Glow, Tirek and Chryssalis. Remember they were turned into statues at the end of g4. My theory for now is that they are behind this somehow. Anyway the movie doesn't explain anything about these mysteries.

Overall it was a good movie but it left me with so many questions.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

I mean, Cozy, Tirek, and to a lesser extent Chrysalis all tried to steal away the magic of Equestria before on their own, and when they teamed up their plan was to divide the three pony tribes. It certainly wouldn't be unreasonable to assume they had something to do with the current state of the world.

Honestly though, I'm not sure I really care. I'm far more interest in seeing where this new world goes moving forward than in looking backwards to see how it got this way. I'll certainly enjoy the occasional nostalgic reference to G4, but if G5 is gonna succeed it needs to do so by its own merits... and so far I think this movie strikes a good balance and does exactly that.

Then we differ in opinion because I find history very important in world building when it comes to shows. Although I know MLP is more focussed on character then world building. It's still there. I do agree with you that the movie makes a good balance in what it's trying to do.

They had to save something for the tv show. I'm guessing whatever was responsible for the current situation will not be happy that it is ending.

Ponies with Magic are a threat to someone. I can believe the ponies got to where they were because they were manipulated. That old go with the herd instinct.

Another thing. Why is the entire population of each race centered in one location for each of them?
This sort of reminds me of those Twilight Zone type stories where some alien race has stuck a town into a zoo like setting.

I don't expect it to be true, but I could see a fan fiction centered around the idea that the three populations are living in an artificial arcology of some sort, and the zoo keeper is not going to be happy his breeding pool is intermingling.

Well I think we are in a Schrodinger's Cannon situation, as of right now the only real evidence that they are in the same timeline is that Sunny had those toys, and her father told her those stories, what appears to be the element of magic on a stain glass window, and what looks like a Wonderbolts poster. While there are some general similarities in geography, there is still the issue of the missing eternal beings (Discord, the sisters, etc), the complete lack of any mention of the other races, and the fact that that in G5 cutie marks are only 9n the right side where in G4 they were on both flanks.
There is a real chance that the mane six intro was put in as a bridging mechanic in a story sense, and in the movie was just a story that Sunny's father made up.
Honestly I'd be okay with either with my love of G4 and piecing together continuity on one side, and the knowledge that the writers wouldn't be as restrained on the other.

Hmm that's an interesting theory you have there. :twilightsmile:

Okay too be honest I had to look up what "Schrodinger's Cannon." was never knew that TV trope before. Really confusing what it is because it's not alternate time line or different dimension, etc.... Still from what I have read what that's I don't see this as Schrodinger's Cannon situation. At least not yet. For me it feels more look like we gone about 1000-1500 years into the future with something like the dark age happened in Equestria.

This feels more like King Arthur of Camelot situation. Historians are divided whether this guy existed or not. It has gone to the realm of mythology.
Another good example is the city of Troje which was long long time considered a Myth until later in 19th century it's ruins were found. This is the vibe that I feel the movie is giving us.

As for the eternal beings. Never once in the show it has been said they are eternal/immortal. That is what we as the fandom have simple accepted as a simple fact because they indeed have been around for a long time. Lack of other races however is something that you have a point. But if we should compare this like the fall of roman empire is it hard too Imagen that all the other races simple left equestria and went back to their own nations and were simple forgotten by the ponies and only remembered as Myths from old? It's mentioned several times in the movie that ponies didn't believe the 3 races interacted with each other in the past in which the movie reveals that was indeed the case. Plus the simple fact you have limited time what you can put inside a movie. Maybe these beings are know and that will be the TV shows next struggle for our heroes to overcome namely to reconnect with the other races.

It's too early too say which direction G5 will take, the movie Introduced us to the current world state of affairs with small hints of its past. :twilightsmile:

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

I haven't seen it myself, but I am treating this basically as this. It's a big budget pilot movie. Any questions will be answered in the show. All I have to say is that they better answer those in the first 2 seasons. Otherwise we are gonna have too much head cannon for people to care.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

How much headcanon Is "too much" is subjectively debatable. Besides headcanons are sorta why sites like this exist in the first place. The first two seasons of Friendship is Magic also had a lot of ostensibly unanswered question that inspire a whole lot of fans to write their own fictions to fill in the gaps.

The low-rent sleazo caudillo racing around points us to a different and more horrifying idea: instead of someone doing it to them, no one did it to them. Their own lousy record keeping and herd instinct caused this and Twilight's only 'sin' was dying. As Walt Kelly said, We have met the enemy and he is us.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

I liked it. The characters were cute, the villain (for a lack of better word) was funny and the visuals and animation were appealing. I hope that the series will be as good as the movie.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

For lack of a better word is an understatement. The movie didn't really have a villain/antagonist, not in the conventional sense. The "enemy" that had to be over come wasn't any specific character or group, but more so the fear and prejudices of the entire population.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11