The Lunaverse 2,568 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 68 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 68
Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

“Happy Holiday!” exclaimed Trixie with a wave to a passing pony. Her target looked started by managed to mumble a reply before disappearing into the crowd. Trixie shrugged, maybe not everypony was in the same Hearth’s Warming mood as she was. She quickly put the thought aside as she stepped deeper into Ponyville marketplace. It was packed by last minute shoppers all busling from stall to stall looking for the ideal present, and Trixie wasn’t any different. She still needed to buy presents for all of her friends. She glanced over at a nearby table, would Raindrops appreciate a painting, she thought. She picked up a watercolour in her aura, it was a landscape of the nearby woods showing storm clouds starting to gather in the distance. Trixie examined it for a moment, then tossed it back on the table, maybe not. She glanced around again and something caught her eye, a gramophone, one of the latest models, perfect for Lyra! She used her aura to flip over the price tag and winced, maybe not. She really wasn’t used to shopping for quite so many friends, it was a new experience. She ideally checked the price of a nearby wide brimmed hat which she thought would compliment Carrot Top’s mane, and an expensive experience as well. It wasn’t that being a representative didn’t pay well, it’s just that windows were so expensive, even when you bought in bulk.

“Hey Trixie!” came a call from nearby breaking Trixie’s train of thought, she looked up to see the smiling pink coated face of one her friends.

“Hi Cheerilee,” said Trixie as the teacher pushed her way through the throng. “You doing your Hearth's Warming shopping as well?”

“Yep, it’s a bit last minute but what with the school pageant, longest night and preparing for next terms silibus things just got away from me. You here for the same?”

“Yeah, I still need to pick up a few things. You seen anything you’d like?” she asked hopefully.

“Oh, you don’t need to get me anything special,” said Cheerilee waving a dismissive hoof.

Trixie briefly scowled, that didn’t help much. “Any suggestions for Ditzy? You’ve known her longer than me.”

“You could just ask her,” suggested Cherilee nodding over towards where the grey pegasus was chatting with Big Mac near the Apple Trust stall. “Looks like she might like an apple in her stocking this year,” she wiggled her eyebrows.

Trixie stuck out her tongue in disgust. “I don’t want to think about that.” She considered for a moment. “Actually maybe I should drop a hint or two that I don’t want anything expensive from her. I know it’s not always easy for her and Dinky, I wouldn’t want her to think she needs to splash out on me.”

Cheerilee nodded. “It might be an idea, but try to be a bit subtle about it, she has her pride and she’s one of the best shoppers I know, she probably had all her presents sorted out months ago. Now Carrot Top,” she pointed towards the orange mained earth pony weighed down by a large pile of parcels on her back. “She could probably use a hint or two that she doesn’t need to get presents for everypony in town.”

“Actually that gives me an idea,” said Trixie striding forwards into the crowd smiling what she considered her most winning smile. “Hey Carrot Top, let me give you a hoof with those.” Her horn glowed as she lifted several packages off her friends back.

“Huh, oh hi Trixie,” said Carrot Top looking rather frazzled. Her normally immaculate mane was sticking out in various directions. “Happy Hearth's Warming!”

“You look like you could use a break,” said Trixie, steering her friend towards some seats set up next to a stall selling steaming hot chocolate.

“Thanks,” said Carrot Top dropping off the rest of her presents. “Things are getting on top of me a bit this year.”

“Not a problem,” said Trixie dropping of the rest of the parcels and sitting down next to her friend and nodding to a nearby waiter to get them drinks. “Even the Great and Powerful Trixie can find things a bit hard going at this time of year.”

“Everypony can feel a bit stressed at this this time of year,” agreed Cheerilee coming up behind Trixie. “Room for two more?” she asked nodding towards Ditzy who had also joined them. “I finally managed to pry her away from her shopping, I guess she was really admiring the Trust’s products.” Ditzy’s face glowed a bit.

“You’ve all still got shopping to do?” she said changing the subject.

“We can’t all be as organised as you,” said Cheerilee.

“Actually I’ve still got some things I need to pick up, it’s been a busy year,” admitted Ditzy glancing around the table.

“Well, I’ve got an idea to make our holiday’s a bit easier,” said Trixie, “although it might be better if we go get Lyra and Raindrop’s first because-”

“Hey guys, what you are doing here? Plotting?” came Lyra’s voice from behind her. “Ooh, that hot chocolate looks good!”

“Speak of Tyrek,” mumbled Trixie as she turned to see her minty friend standing there a scarf around her neck and a smile on her face. Raindrops stood nearby looking rather more self conscious. “You want to join us?” she asked as the waiter placed further steaming mugs in front of the new arrivals. “You buying your Hearth's Warming presents as well?”

“It is the season to spend money!” admitted Lyra.

“I’ve still got a lot to do,” said Raindrop’s with a yawn. “Dash has had the weather team running double shifts with all this snow, this is the first time I’ve had off for weeks.”

“Well I’ve got an idea to make the holiday a little easier on all of us,” exclaimed Trixie, “Rather than everypony buying everypony else a present why don’t we do a Hearth’s Warming Helper?”

“A what?” said Raindrop’s raising an eyebrow.

“Instead of each of us getting a present for everypony else we each get randomly allocated one friend we get a present for,” explained Cheerilee. “It makes things a lot simpler, and cheaper.”

“It leaves us with more time to enjoy the holiday rather than having to stress over the whole thing,” added Trixie. “We can have a party at the residence tomorrow evening and exchange gifts there. Sound good?” she asked.

Cheerilee quickly nodded followed by Lyra and Raindrops. Ditzy looked a little unsure but eventually agreed, finally Carrot Top joined in as well. “I guess it does make things simpler,” she admitted.

“Good,” said Trixie levitating her hat off her head and waving a hoof over it. “Abracadabra,” she intoned and six pieces of paper flew out of it and into the waiting hooves of her and her friends. They carefully opened them and glanced around at each other. Trixie winced a little after looking down at her own before shrugging, she was sure she’d come up with something. “Everypony happy?” she asked. Her friends all nodded. “Good, see you all tomorrow then!”

So I saw Best Gift Ever recently and really enjoyed it. Then it occurred to me that the general idea might also work in the Lunaverse with the mane 6 doing a Secret Santa, sorry Hearth's Warming Helper. I thought it might also work as a colab for a group of us from the community. If people are interested each of you can choose one of the mane-6 to write a story about and randomly gets assigned another character they have to get a present for, they then write a short story (1-3K words) about how they get the present. Then we get together and write a conclusion showing the presents all being given. The whole thing can then be posted at Christmas time when things are more seasonal (plus it means we have a few months to get writing if we don't have much free time).

Anyone interested?

An alternative idea might be the same thing with team Corona instead although given most of them aren't ponies it might not fit with Hearth's Warming.

Meanwhile in Canterlot Castle.

Luna: What do you mean I can't just give her cash?

Babushka: <face hooves>

“Happy Holiday!”

Why not just say happy hearths warming?

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

This reads like a great idea! I'll choose... Ditzy.

Rixizu
Group Contributor

I guess I could do Raindrops.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I'm game. I'll pick...Trixie!

Also the Team Corona one could still work; she has some ponies in her employ. Plus Corona herself might oddly feel like celebrating Hearth's Warming in some way.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

We could potentially do both the mane 6 and team Corona depending on how quickly we get the original put together.

Rixizu
Group Contributor

Now that is a story that would be a great read. The Luna 6 doing Secret Santas seems dull in comparison.

Watch the S2 Heart's Warming Eve episode. HW is all about the tribes coming together to form Equestria. It's my Head Canon that nonponies are somewhat less thrilled about that than ponies are.

It's like here in Arizona, the Indians ain't as big on Thanksgiving as the rest of us

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'll go for Cheerilee.

I had thought I'd already posted his but now I've sent out the gift givers / receivers for this I'll set a few rules: -

The missing two characters Lyra and Carrot Top are being kept for anyone else whose interested or if anyone feels like writing a second story once they've finished the first.

1) At least a first draft of your chapter should be completed by the 1st December, we can then make any continuity alterations so that they all fit together. Once that done we'll write the chapter where the presents are exchanged probably with each author creating a further few paragraphs explaining what happens.

2) There's no hard limit on word count, I originally suggested about 1-3K but if you want to write more you can, just note the time frame.

3) The characters can exchange the pony they're due to give gifts to, but this should be done in universe i.e. you can PM another author and ask to swap but you should add this fact to your story.

4) The story starts mid morning on the day before Heath's Warming Eve and Trixie's party is due early evening the next day so the overall time period is about 30 hours.

5) Each pony should end up actually giving a present, It might not be the one they intended to give but something gets exchanged. This is to differentiate from the show which went with the Friendship is the best present theme, not to say it isn't but we need to go in a slightly different direction.

Any further clarification needed please PM me or post here so we can discuss things.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'll try to look over it tomorrow evening, I might be doing Jury Duty for a while so we'll see how my time goes. My own attempt is probably about 2/3rds done at the moment.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Ooh, damn. Good luck with that. And thanks. It's open to everyone to comment on.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well I've not been required for the Jury which is probably a good thing, the case was expected to be about 3 weeks and involved very, very bad things which I would not want to spend all that time hearing about.

Beyond that I've read the story and added a few comments. Maybe it's a bit to simple, perhaps there could be some block in Ditzy's path, she misses the signing for example and has to case Ripped at her hotel or train station and sings Raindrop's praises a bit to get her to do it before you add the bit about the fan club.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Glad you missed out on jury duty. Yeah, it doesn't sound too pleasant.

And I don't know. Sometimes easy is the best, you know? I bet dollars to donuts there'll be others that are difficult.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I'd have the time to do something like that. I work retail in the United States, and the busiest time of the year is coming up for me. It's gonna leave me pretty exhausted most days.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

That's fine it was just a suggestion.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Okay, thank you. :)

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've finished off the first version of my section as well

Rixizu
Group Contributor

I finally finished my section too.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

That was certainly an interesting take on the theme. I wonder if she should go back to the shop to find out if the shopkeeper knew it was cursed or not. Maybe the shop has disappeared? Also maybe have her look in her own mirror again after the hand mirror is destroyed and see something she recognises as her normal visage.

Rixizu
Group Contributor

Those are good suggestions, and I will add them to my story later. I think my story ended a little too abruptly. The mirror isn't cursed, exactly. It just has a very powerful spell cast on it to make the user more attractive. You can probably guess who.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Princess Platinum?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor
Rixizu
Group Contributor

Do you think Luna gave it away in a yard sale or something unaware of its danger? She should be more careful with her sister's things.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well over a thousand years or so you sometimes have to take some extreme measures to balance the budget. I'm sure Luna put a warning sign on it or something but 20 bits is 20 bits, besides she was glad to get rid of the thing after her big sister kept lording over how much prettier she was.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

6612 words. Damn, impressive. It's heading into the busy time of the year for me, especially this week. I'll try and give it an editing pass much as I can.

Ooh, intriguing idea! I like it.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well it's how many of those words actually work rather than purely the number that matters, plus about 1K ish of those is a rewrite of the introduction section at the top of this thread.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've written a short chapter for Carrot Top and I've at least got an idea of the Lyra chapter as well unless anyone else wants to give it a go. In case I don't manage to write it in time at the least we can probably build it into the concluding chapter.

Rixizu
Group Contributor

Just curious, what is this book about exactly? Is the author famous?

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

It's just a Harlequin Romance novel. I didn't put much else thought into it, sorry. Ripped Bodice is fairly famous Equestria-wide.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Does anyone fancy writing (or at least rewriting) a song? I'm writing the Lyra chapter (she got Carrot Top) and she's planning to write a song after visiting a bunch of ponies for inspiration. If anyone else can come up with the song I can reverse engineer the chapter.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Hang on, I've been listening to this song a bunch. Lyra might need to recruit a choir for its performance, though. Even without that it's a bit of a duet. Still one of my favorite Christmas songs, though.

Say what you will about the movie Toys, its soundtrack was phenomenal.

Refrain (Lyra)
If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope
For nothing is more precious
Than the time we have, and so

Verse 1 (Lyra)
We all must learn from small misfortune
Count the blessings that are real
Let the bells ring this Hearth's Warming
At the closing of the year

Interlude (Choir)
Up off your knees and breathe the sweet air
Run through the woods with a friend in hoof
Silver bells ring out through the morning
While we race to the castle over there

Refrain (Lyra)

Verse 2 (Lyra)
Now all the winter bells are ringing
Hear them echo through the snow
And the children's voices singing
On the street so far below
This is a time to be together
And the truth is somewhere here
Within our love for all things

Bridge (Somepony else, although I suppose Lyra could still sing it)
We'll walk in a light
With all of the pain
And all of the patience
All of the way
And all of us right
And all of us same
Love one another
We'll fly in the wings of Time
Walk in the waves, never fall
Don't fall
(At the closing of the year)

Refrain (Lyra and Chorus)

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well it might work for a general Hearth's Warming carol but it doesn't seem very Carrot Top specific although I might think about changing the words to try and fit it.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I most likely won't be able to finish my Trixie chapter until this Monday, December 3rd. I had to walk home from work a number of times this week, which drains my energy after walking to work plus a nine hour shift there. But I have all of Sunday and Monday off, so it'll definitely be done by then.

Sorry...

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

That's fine. I wasn't planning an update until tomorrow or Monday anyway. Once the separate chapters are completed all that's left is a scene each about handing out the presents.

Still trying to sort out a Carrot Top / Generosity linked song, although I may well use 'The closing of the year' to close off the fic.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Actually looking over that song a few times particularly the reframe makes we thing of Trixie or all the bearers trying to cheer up a depressed Luna after she reviews the status of Equestria once Celestia returns.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

No need to apologize. I remember having to walk home from work. Wasn't pleasant.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Ha! Done. This one kind of got away from me and went in a very different direction from where I started.

Hearths' Warming Helper

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

There seems to be quite a bit of... Trixie getting put upon in this.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

My favorite Transformer is Starscream, because he's the universe's chew toy. Trixie is sort of the same way, the universe has a tendency to make things needlessly difficult for her, because it personally amuses me. But she perseveres and triumphs in the end anyway, making victory that much sweeter.

Kind of a bit of kinship in that, the universe often seems like it has it out for me, so when I score a major life victory in spite of it, it feels great.

That being said, I had originally intended for Trixie to go to a bunch of shops and find that each brilliant gift for Lyra was somehow sold out or not available, and she settles on stead getting a gift card. With the idea that Bon Bon's beaten her to the punch for each gift for Lyra. However since Rixizu's fic ends with Raindrops getting a gift card for Cheerilee, I went in a different direction instead.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

And my favorite Transformer is Dinobot, because he went out saving humanity, redeeming himself, going out in one of the best heroic sacrifices ever/best moment in the Transformers franchise, and having one of the best Masterpiece toys ever made.

There's a time and place for chew toys, but with Trixie, as I have said before many times, it gets way too much and way too redundant. Like you, I've gotten the short end of the stick many many times. I just had bank fraud committed on me at the tail end of November. That's why for me, putting my favorite characters through the wringer like what happens to Trixie doesn't make sense and feels so damned mean-spirited.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Well, the last time I wrote for Trixie, she managed to stalemate and was arguably beating an archmage in a no-holds barred magical duel, and that archmage's specialty was a school of magic, Divination, that almost literally exists specifically to counter Trixie's specialty of Illusion. So in the balance I think Trixie's come out far ahead in terms of my writing for her.

But more generally, characters need to face challenges, not just exterior challenges by antagonists set against them, but also interior challenges caused by the character themselves and how they see or interact with the world, or simply bad luck, in order to make a story interesting to read. A story isn't very interesting if a character is fundamentally the same at the beginning as they are at the end, unless the fact that they didn't need to change is deliberately invoked as a sort of comedy ("Dear Princess Celestia...I didn't learn anythin'! Ah was right all along" - though note that in that Applejack's patience is still put through a wringer by Flim and Flam). Obstacles also have to be meaningful to be interesting.

Try and imagine the first episode of Friendship is Magic if Twilight had actually, from the start, decided to take Princess Celestia's advice and make some friends and not worry about Nightmare Moon. Sure, things would have been easier for Twilight in all respects, but the story would also have been hollow. Twilight learns nothing (other than "Nightmare Moon is bad and I should deal with that"), so why are we watching it?

With regards to my specific chapter up there, the obstacles of not being able to get her first two choices of presents for Lyra (though the second was half-assed on her part anyway) was mostly a vehicle to get Trixie to the library. I could have skipped to her going straight to the library, but I personally think that would have been too short and abrupt; I wanted to start with Trixie leaving her friends from the prologue, and in the prologue she was contemplating the gramophone, so there needs to be a reason why she couldn't get that. And at least Rarity wasn't rude to her or anything.

Plus once we get to the library, most of the "conflict" is entirely in Trixie's head. Personally I thought it was a nice change of pace from the Starlights that Velvet didn't do anything to nettle Trixie (the way Twilight did) or bludgeon Trixie over the head with her authority (the way Night Light and Shining did). It helped remove what must have been a lingering fear from Trixie, that she still had Round 3 (or 4, really) in her ongoing House Starlight challenge to deal with.

I dunno, that's my thoughts and justifications, most of them after the fact. Mostly, I just personally found it amusing and just wrote what came naturally. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you didn't like it, but I hope that others will.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'll have a look over it tonight and put up some details of the rest of the things we have to do to finish things off. It looks like my Lyra chapter might need a bit of a change as it has her visiting Twilight as well. Although by coincidence on my second draft I had changed it from Twilight spending the holiday alone to having her parents turning up later so I can just make a few changes to have it fit.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Well, the last time I wrote for Trixie, she managed to stalemate and was arguably beating an archmage in a no-holds barred magical duel, and that archmage's specialty was a school of magic, Divination, that almost literally exists specifically to counter Trixie's specialty of Illusion. So in the balance I think Trixie's come out far ahead in terms of my writing for her.

No. No, the balance is still way too much in, "Make Trixie suffer for jollies," The Gala, Magic Tutor, a ton of other small stuff. It just gets so damned tiring.

But more generally, characters need to face challenges, not just exterior challenges by antagonists set against them, but also interior challenges caused by the character themselves and how they see or interact with the world, or simply bad luck, in order to make a story interesting to read. A story isn't very interesting if a character is fundamentally the same at the beginning as they are at the end, unless the fact that they didn't need to change is deliberately invoked as a sort of comedy ("Dear Princess Celestia...I didn't learn anythin'! Ah was right all along" - though note that in that Applejack's patience is still put through a wringer by Flim and Flam). Obstacles also have to be meaningful to be interesting.

There's challenges, but this just feels so damned forced to me. Every one sold out?

Plus once we get to the library, most of the "conflict" is entirely in Trixie's head. Personally I thought it was a nice change of pace from the Starlights that Velvet didn't do anything to nettle Trixie (the way Twilight did) or bludgeon Trixie over the head with her authority (the way Night Light and Shining did). It helped remove what must have been a lingering fear from Trixie, that she still had Round 3 (or 4, really) in her ongoing House Starlight challenge to deal with.

I kinda hated Twilight Velvet, here. Trixie debases herself in front of her after Velvet traps her in a damned bubble. And I remind you, the incident in Boast Busted was about 95% Twilight Sparkle's fault, at least. But no, Trixie has to apologize. For Twilight Sparkle's actions.

I dunno, that's my thoughts and justifications, most of them after the fact. Mostly, I just personally found it amusing and just wrote what came naturally. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you didn't like it, but I hope that others will.

Yes, others.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

This is going to be a bit harsh. Sorry.

Trixie only apologizes for her own actions in this. Twilight previously apologized to her mother and the rest of her family in Magic Tutor (and to Ponyville as represented by their Town Council in the same fic, and also specifically to Applejack, and the entire reason why she’s in Ponyville now is as a 5 year extended apology), and apologized to Trixie in Crisis on Two Equestrias. Also for the sake of completion Night Light apologized to Trixie in At the Grand Galloping Gala, and Twilight Velvet apologized to Trixie for snap-teleporting her in this fic only a few lines after she does it. Apologies all around! Except Shining Armor, I guess he’s still a monster, though from how he was working with Trixie in AtGGG it can be presumed that they made up.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you have no ability to be objective when it comes to Trixie. Like, Sethisto is more objective.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

This is going to be a bit harsh. Sorry.

I had 2500 bucks stolen from my checking account Friday. This is not 'harsh'.

Trixie only apologizes for her own actions in this. Twilight previously apologized to her mother and the rest of her family in Magic Tutor (and to Ponyville as represented by their Town Council in the same fic, and also specifically to Applejack, and the entire reason why she’s in Ponyville now is as a 5 year extended apology), and apologized to Trixie in Crisis on Two Equestrias. Also for the sake of completion Night Light apologized to Trixie in At the Grand Galloping Gala, and Twilight Velvet apologized to Trixie for snap-teleporting her in this fic only a few lines after she does it. Apologies all around! Except Shining Armor, I guess he’s still a monster, though from how he was working with Trixie in AtGGG it can be presumed that they made up.

Night Light's apology doesn't count, considering his actions and how forced it was. And that he still has his position. Velvet still did it, gets no comeuppance, and Trixie still apologizes even though she shouldn't have to. Twilight wasn't too bad, here.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you have no ability to be objective when it comes to Trixie. Like, Sethisto is more objective.

Well, someone has to stick up for Trixie here. She keeps getting dragged through the mud.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

She’s the Element of Magic, the personal student of Luna, the Representative Of Ponyville, an extraordinarily talented illusionist and stage magician, has at least eight or nine best friends that she can trust with her life without counting her family back in Neigh Orleans, and all this before the fact that she’s set to become the Viscountess of the North Everfree. I wish I could get dragged through mud like that.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

‘Twas the night before Hearth’s Warming, when all thro’ the residence
Many ponies were partying, enjoying their decadence
Their dollies were hung by the chimney with care
Much to the excitement of each present giving mare

“Happy Hearth’s Warming,” cried Trixie as she welcomed the last of the guests to her party.

“Sorry I’m late,” said Ditzy brushing a sprinkling of snow from her wings. “I had to make sure Dinky was settled in at the foals party at the town hall.”

“No problem, if you have to leave to pick her up later just go. Raindrop’s has to leave for work in a bit.”

“I should have a few hours at least. I brought these!” she said holding up a baking tray full of muffins.

“They look great, put them with the rest,” Trixie gestured to a table set up by the door which was covered with a mixture of edible treats, and a good selection of drinks as well. Ditzy trotted over to it and, after a moment's consideration, poured herself a shot of gin before topping it off what Trixie considered an over generous amount of tonic. The grey mare took a sip of her drink and sighed,

“It’s good to get a chance to relax occasionally,” she said taking another sip. “Oh,” she reached into her saddlebag and retrieved a small plushy. “I remembered to bring this,” she passed the Hearth’s Warming doll to Trixie who levitated it onto the ledge above the fireplace where it joined representations of the other element bearers and Bon Bon. Trixie admired her work for a moment, it had been her idea to ask everpony to bring their own doll, it made them seem like a family.

She looked around the room and smiled. She’d spent quite some time decorating her living room to make it as festive as possible and with the fire burning bright it was comfortingly warm compared to the cold outside. Her friends were gathered in groups around the room. Lyra and Bon Bon were huddled together on the settee chatting with the newly arrived Ditzy who had taken up a seat next to them. Cheerilee, Carrot Top and Raindrop’s were standing to one side, the school teacher had apparently just told a joke judging by Carrot Top’s giggling, even Raindrops was smiling.

Trixie took a moment to drink in the ambiance, despite all the things, many of them bad that had happened to all of them in the year since they met each other it was good to know that they could all spend time together like this, just enjoying each others company. “My fellow element bearers!” she called out levitating her glass in the air. The talking died down. “My friends, and friends significant others,” she nodded to Bon Bon with a smile. “I’m glad that we could all make it here today. Hearth’s Warming is the celebration of the three tribes putting aside their differences and working together to become something greater. Looking around here I see such a mix of different ponies. A year ago there was no way I would have thought that I would have been friends with a school teacher, a mare wise beyond her years and always ready to help her students, young and old. Although the less said about her shady past the better.”

“Who told you that!” exclaimed Cheerilee, “I’ve been a regular flutterpony all my life.” She grinned. “Well maybe I’ve been more like a Tartarus spawn once or twice, but only when asked!”

“Or a skilled potion maker,” continued Trixie ignoring the interruption, “and farmer who made most of the fantastic food we’ve been eating all night.” She levitated up a carrot stick and dipped it in mustard before popping it into her mouth. “Délicieux!” she exclaimed making Carrot Top blush. “A pony who is lends a hoof to anypony who needs it.”

“Or the strongest, but most gentle pegasus I’ve ever met.” Raindrop’s looked away a mumbled and embarrassed thank you. “A mare who, despite her tough exterior, shows how much she cares about her friends in her every action.

“Or a post mare who shows a mothers love to not only her own adorable foal but to everypony who needs it. Who knows and is adored by everypony in town, but still managed to deliver me a bag full of Apple Trust correspondence!”

“That was only once!” exclaimed Ditzy, “and they got the postcode wrong!”

“Or a magical minty mare who plays the most beautiful music I can imagine and will go to any lengths to help her friends when the need her. If she can be bothered to get out of bed!”

“But it’s so cold out at the moment!” moaned Lyra.

“And,” said Cheerilee, “none of us could have imagined that we would be friends with somepony so obnoxious and full of herself, but who’s trying so hard every day to be a as good a friend as she can be. Some pony who can truly be described as great and powerful.”

“Well, um, thanks,” said Trixie her voice sounding a little wobbly. All of them raised their glasses into the air.

“To us, to Friendship!” toasted Cheerilee.

“To Friendship echoed everypony.

“Anyway,” said Trixie levitating her hat from her head using the movement to disguise her using a hoof to wipe her eyes. “Now onto the part of the evening you’ve all be waiting for,” She withdrew a brightly wrapped parcel from the hat. “The presents!”

Trixie gives present to Lyra (Rainbow Double Dash)

Lyra gives present to Carrot Top (Talon and Thorn)

Carrot Top gives present to Ditzy (Talon and Thorn)

Ditzy gives present to Raindrops (RK Striker JK 5)

Raindrops gives present to Cheerilee (Rixizu)

Cheerilee gives present to Trixie (Talon and Thorn)

Once the presents had been given out and everypony had eaten and drunk as much as they could the party finally began to wind down.

“I’m afraid I’ve got to go,” said Raindrops, “the snow won’t clear itself you know.”

“I always liked that as a foal,” said Lyra a little dreamily, “waking up to see that the snow was gone knowing that the Windigo had been driven away for another year.”

“Yeah, it is nice, but it’s a lot of work,” admitted Raindrops.

“I better go and get Dinky as well, it’s about time to put her to bed,” said Ditzy levering herself out of her chair a little unsteadily. Quite a collection of empty glasses had built up by her.

“On last song?” asked Lyra striking a cord on her lyre.

“The Heart carol?” suggested Cheerilee.

“I was thinking about ‘The closing of the year’”

“Oh, I like that one,” said Trixie, “it, well, it seems appropriate, what with Corona out there.” She glanced over at the mural which made up one wall of the room.

“Hey,” said Lyra standing and resting a hoof on Trixie’s shoulder, “don’t worry, we’ve got Luna and the Elements. We’ll find her eventually and sort everything out.”

“I guess so,” said Trixie as Lyra began to strum her instrument.

If I cannot bring you comfort, began Lyra, her voice quickly joined by Bon Bon
For nothing is more precious
Than the time we have, and so

We all must learn from small misfortune, sang the whole room joining together hoof in hoof
Count the blessings that are real

Up off your knees and breathe the sweet air, cried Ditzy and Raindrops their voices intertwining
Run through the woods with a friend in hoof
Silver bells ring out through the morning
While we race to the castle over there

Now all the winter bells are ringing
Hear them echo through the snow
And the children's voices singing
On the street so far below
This is a time to be together
And the truth is somewhere here
Within our love for all things

We'll walk in a light, sang Cheerilee her gaze moving from friend to friend
With all of the pain, said Raindrops
And all of the patience, added Ditzy
All of the way
And all of us right, cried Trixie
And all of us same, sang Carrot Top
Love one another
We'll fly in the wings of Time
Walk in the waves, never fall
Don't fall
(At the closing of the year)

As the last of the music faded away Raindrops hugged each of her friends before opening the residences door and stepping out into the darkness beyond lit by the many lights of Ponyville.

Raindrops sprung to the sky, to the weather team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew, like the down of a thistle:
But they all heard her exclaim, ere she drove out of sight-
Merry Hearth’s Warming to all, and to all a good night.

Ok, so now that everybody has written their chapter now comes some editing and writing the conclusion. If everybody has at least skimmed through everybody else's tory then we can smooth out any contradictions (I've altered Lyra's story to fit Trixie's and a bit of a change to fit Raindrop's). Once that's done if everybody could write a short section with their pony giving out their present and the present receivers reaction to fit into the section above. You're also free to make any suggestions to changing the above or the introduction. All of my sections can be found here.

I'm going to be flying to my parents on the 22nd and will have much reduced computer access so if possible can we try and sort things out by about the 18th? That should give me some time to put everything together and publish it probably om the 21st or if people think it will work better I can probably preload it and put it up on Christmas eve or Christmas day itself.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

I can have my section written out by next Tuesday, hopefully.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

the other element bearers and Bon Bon

I feel like if Bon Bon is going to be there, then others should be as well - Dinky, Snails, Pokey, a peach tree, some fish, maybe a few others. Though having said that, Bon Bon feels kind of superfluous in this - she doesn't even have a line except in the group song.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 68