Source

La Vallett1
Group Contributor
RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

The way she was scampering about... she get bit by a radioactive spider?! :D

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

That's her native accent, she just pretends to be posh!

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Secretly I can see the future and manipulate the minds of men named Steve.

Technically it also works on women named Steve, but trust me, those are hard to find.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

It would certainly fun to prove that by visiting her parents.

D48

Oh god, now I want to see that happen. She takes someone who is only used to seeing her normal posh self to visit her family, and that happens. The reactions will be glorious. :rainbowlaugh:

Hm, now I'm wondering if Lyra has ever met her family, or if we ever got anything of substance about them for that matter. The two of them are close, but given the nature of their relationship Lyra very well might not have ever met Octavia's family, especially if they live a long way away.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Nothing clearly has been stated about Tavi's family, I think I mentioned in a non canon bit that she was a distant relative of a courtier. It's possible that Lyra visited her home during a holiday or something or met Tavi's family if they visited during term time.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

I thought that in Lunaverse, Octavia is the pony version of Indian. At least, that's what Grass said.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I don't know about the L-verse that's what he did with her in the Cadenceverse.

D48

...Which means this tidbit is open if it fits into something. Fun.

Of course, the flipside of that is that Octavia isn't a major character so the odds that there will ever be any reason to see her family are low, but it might still come up eventually.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

We have plenty of story set in Canterlot though. One more wouldn't break anything.

D48

Yeah, but this doesn't really qualify as a story. You might be able to call it a short one-shot if you stretch it, but it's really just one gag so it makes more sense to fold it into a real story if it fits. It might come out if the Octavia background romance goes anywhere or if a season 3 Lyra story needs to draw Octavia in deeper for some reason, but the fact that she tends to be busy with normal music stuff out of the way of the main characters means it isn't terribly likely unless someone decides to go out of their way to do it. Granted that's not completely impossible considering the way Max got drawn into a main story even though he has nothing to do with the girls and fighting crime is most definitely not his job, but it's generally not a good idea to pull major shenanigans with a story track for the sake of a single gag so I think it's better to toss this onto the general ideas pile and see if a place for it happens to appear.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

Maybe we could have Lyra go perform in Octavia's hometown? Andj ust have that mentionned as a side gag when someone mentions how different the accent of the native ponies is compared to Octavia's?

D48

That could certainly work. Of course, you still need a reason to drive the whole thing, but I'm not really seeing anything substantial. The first thing that comes to mind is the old issues between Octavia and Trixie, but those got patched up already and there are no other substantial relationships with the rest of the cast to explore (with the possible exception of Fluttershy, but that doesn't really move us towards a solution since she's not part of the main cast), so there's nothing really substantial there to build on. You might be able to get around that by having Octavia ask Lyra to come because of some major event with her parents or other family members, but that would most likely be relatively unimportant to the readers since we have no prior knowledge of Octavia's family to build emotional investment.

Honestly, it would probably work best if it was incidental to another problem that required them to leave town to go deal with something in a new location since that would make it a detail to support another story, but we'd need a full plot for that to work. The only thing that comes to mind is another gag that's been kicking around in my head for a while to do a bait and switch on the old sealed evil in a can routine with the "dreaded monster" having all the viciousness of canon Celestia. If there's a way for that to fit into the changeling stuff, possibly as a counterbalance to Chrysalis and mirror of Corona/Luna (or Celestia/NMM) theme, we might have something of substance to work with, but barring that it's just another gag idea and not a real story concept.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

If you have an idea, write it, it doesn't matter if it's short or doesn't really fit into the rest of the world. Maybe it'll be non canon but it'll still be something we can all read and enjoy,

La Vallett1
Group Contributor
D48

As I said before, this is a gag, not an idea. There's really not anything to write beyond a quick comment here unless you have an idea for a real story to write. Now, if you have an idea I'm happy to help hammer out ideas weather this fits into it or not, but this isn't a proper idea on its own.

That's adorable.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well at one point I did consider expanding this to cover the period while Lyra was at university and Bon Bon was setting up her shop. It would certainly be possible for Octavia's parents to visit during that time or possibly for Lyra to spend a holiday with her mentor (which Bon Bon would probably not be happy about).

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Lyra a cute! CUTE!

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

Amazing :pinkiegasp:

6014473 Or Octavia hurts herself somehow and starts swearing in her old accent :trollestia:

D48

6014473 6014953
Either option could work well, although Octavia regressing is probably easier to work into a random story. Just make sure to follow the usual rules of characterization and in-story decision making and it'll be good.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

I don't remember if I ever stated it explicitly, but yes, I had considered Octavia to be Indian (from Chenneigh, equivalent to the real-world Chennai.).

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Octavia is the Court Musician, and Trixie is trying to get ennobled. She is friends with Octavia, sort of, and so could try to get herself involved with the political (or logistics) end of some big government-affiliated concert Tavi is doing in her home province so that she (Trixie) can show off her skills. Then of course things go wrong and Trixie has to save the day. Plus, a story set in pony-India could be atmospheric. And would offer many opportunities for references and riffs.

Trixie: "Now we must infiltrate the ancient temple and--wait, Max? What are you doing here?"
Max: "Oh, I also found out we were ripping off Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom today and thought I'd try to raid the temple too. I didn't think anyone would complain."
Greengrass in a dress: "Why do I have to be the Willie Scott character? Why can't I at least be Short Round?! He's marginally less annoying!"
Max: "Well, anyone besides him."

D48

Hm, that could work. You would have to avoid making it too political because while Trixie is definitely interested in that, Octavia has made it crystal clear that she wants to stay out of that from now on. That probably means a charity concert of some form, although I'm not entirely sure what since we probably want to avoid doing something generic like funding an orphanage.

My first thought is to look at India since that was your real-world reference point for ideas, although that doesn't really narrow things down much since they have a lot of issues. Something farming related like putting in an irrigation system might work since it would let you bring in Carrot Top to explore her dealings with high society a little more and see how she gets along with Octavia, although I am a little concerned that adding her might over-clutter the story.

A better approach might be to use your idea of bringing in Max with some kind of infrastructure project since that's something he's interested in and working on it outside his province would help him build political will for his own ideas. This also has some interesting secondary effects since he's obviously someone Luna's going to want Trixie associating with as she works her way into the nobility (he might also be a good mentor for her once she gets), so building up their relationship might be a good idea. It also has the interesting secondary benefit of giving Fluttershy a bit of an opportunity to come out of her shell since Fragrant will almost certainly be tagging along with Max and Fluttershy would obviously not be anywhere near the center of attention, although it might still be too much for her so she can definitely be left out. That said, throwing Fragrant into a dangerous situation would still be fun since that is very much outside her skill set and would offer an interesting opportunity to explore how she reacts to being the load instead of the duchess. Hm, I'm liking this idea.... What do you think?

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Wait, this thread has been dead for over a year... time to fix that, because this is a "thing".

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I’d heard about this. It’s not gonna be just a straight rerelease, there’s gonna be new scenes even in the movie proper.

It’s a neat idea.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Behold the power of companies that want to reach the young teenager demographic! Movie ratings are weird. :derpytongue2:

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Meh, it's not like I'm mad or somehow think PG'ing Deadpool ruins the character. I mean, befor the film's he made a perfectly amusing appearance in the Ultimate Spiderman animated series.

Besides, if the new scenes in the trailer are anything to go by the spirit of Deadpool is still alive and well even without the explicit vulgarity. The whole story telling framing device is exactly the kind of winking at the camera parody I would expect out of this franchise.

This doesn't look like something dumbed down for the kids, but instead a fully self-aware joke laughing at the entire conciet of its own premise.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

I just... never 'got' Deadpool. He just never clicked for me.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

I thought he was overrated after seeing his first movie, imo.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Rather glad to read. Sometimes I thought it was just me who didn't get and/or like him. :)

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

There were parts that I found funny but his character didn't appeal to me.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

I never watched any of the movies. Even before then, Deadpool was just... there.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

He’s not my favorite either, but we did get Gwenpool because of him, so I’m glad for that.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

I know of Gwenpool. Sorta. Admittedly, I really don't read comics. It's way too hard for me to keep up, and if I tried, I'd probably try to get all of them. As in all the way back to their debut or something. :p

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

I have the diabeetus now. Is this part of your diabolical plan?

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Okay, now that just isn't even fair.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

Seriously though, can you imagine a griffon either looking like a budgie or at least acting like one?

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

There is no fairness in cuteness, only succumbing.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

That is terrifying!

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I still say Eevee is cuter.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Whooo recognition!

• Viewing 1,951 - 2,000 of 2,027