Comments ( 104 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 104
Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

And why wouldn't you? It's an awesome place to write!

So what does it take to make a Winningverse story? Well, here's some basic advice

You need to run your fic by me for general quality assurance and editing oversight. I'm not going to be completely anal about it, but I do need to make sure that the fic is not completely horrible and generally compatible with the rest of the Winningverse. After all, we do need to maintain internal consistency.

Also, if you're planning to focus on a specific character, here's the general list of characters who would probably not be the best choice due to ongoing or planned stories. Naturally, this list is subject to change over time.

Fair warning, if you put in a claim on a character and nothing gets produced, you will eventually forfeit the claim.

Ponies Who are Unavailable for Fic-Writing (Due to ongoing plots or already being claimed)
Cloud Kicker
Blossomforth
Derpy Hooves
Rainbow Dash
Fluttershy
Twilight Sparkle
Cheerilee
Rarity
Sparkler
Star Kicker
Pinkie Pie
Lyra
Octavia
Vinyl Scratch
Lightning Dust
Flash Sentry
Time Turner

Ponies Who Might Make for Good Fics
Aloe and/or Lotus
Alula
Colgate
Raindrops
Scootaloo
Zecora

Also, as a general note, you can always write stories using the Winningverse incarnations of characters, but not set in the Winningverse itself, like we see with Trinary's "May the Best Friends Win" or Kavonde's "The Prince of Ponyville." In that case, you're free to write away without needing to worry about any of the Winningverse compatibility issues. All I'd ask is that you let me know about the story so I can read it and add it to the group.

Shouldn't Ditzy Doo be in the list as well, due to "What's In a Name"? (As well as "Life and Times", of course.)

Comma-Kazie
Group Contributor

What's in a Name takes place six years before the events of Winning Pony, as indicated by the handy-dandy Winningverse timeline. That said, you are correct about her for Winning Pony. (Changes too, but that's for another reason! :rainbowlaugh: :fluttershbad:)

Well, yes, there are very logical reasons why you shouldn't be writing about Ditzy in the DeadDerpyverse...

I've been kicking around the idea of a Winningverse parody fic in my head. My plate is pretty overloaded as it is so it probably wouldn't happen, but if you'd rather I just drop the idea entirely just let me know

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Yeah, like Comma pointed out she hasn't technically been claimed for a story set during the current timeline, though I will admit that "What's in a Name" and her rather important role in the main story would complicate writing her immensely, so she's not the best choice.

Which reminds me, I forgot to add Rainbow Dash to the list. There's going to be at least one more "The Incredibly X of Rainbow Dash" one-shot coming out. Possibly more, because i do like writing her.

Parody is fine, since it's presumably not going to be strictly in-continuity. Parody operates on almost pure Rule of Funny, after all.

Hm after finding out about and reading Cloudhammer's story I've been struck with the inspiration to write something in this setting. However it'll be awhile till that bears any fruit if it does. Got lots of research and planning to do.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Consider me intrigued.

I really want to write a fic based on Fluttershy. Set in the Winningverse of course. What do you think? Is it okay or is it a no go?

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Honestly, between how big a role she's going to have in the main Winning Pony story, an upcoming Rarity-Centric story, and Study of a Winning Pony it would be a bit tricky to co-ordinate.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but Eepy's general storyline is a lot more defined than most of the other characters who've gotten spinoff stories. Be ready to spend some time running ideas past me and the other minds of the Winningverse first.

502621 Okay, that is fair enough. Is there any character that needs anything done? Quite honestly I will gladly work on anything that you guys need done.

504727 I can safely say not Scootaloo.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Well, out of the Mane 6 Pinkie Pie could be written without too much trouble. Well, aside from the potential complications of writing Pinkie's first person PoV. Pinkie's brain is an interesting place.

Applejack is also possible, but you'd probably need to trade notes with a bit with Cloudhammer since his fic involves the Apples, and a lot with the author of the upcoming Rarity Winningverse fic on account of AJ and Rarity's very complicated and messy relationship.

Other reasonably interesting options would be Sparkler or Dinky, one of the other weather ponies like Raindrops, or one of the Princesses.

508091 The Sparkler option is very compelling. In fact it is downright fascinating for me. I would love to write that story if you guys approve of the idea. Or Luna for that matter. It would be interesting to write about her experience with Cloud Kicker. Damn it, I can't make a decision ha.

JaketheGinger
Group Contributor

I'd love to add to the Winningverse but I think I need to assess how well I write first person before anything else. :twilightsheepish: Luckily I should have a general idea of that soon. Personally, I think a story focused on one of the CMC would be interesting.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Sparkler would be fun. Luna could be interesting too, though that would be hard to write without giving a solid answer on whether she and CK banged or not.

Technically stories don't have to be in First Person PoV for the Winningverse, although it does seem to be the standard convention. In any case, a story centered around the Crusaders could be fun.

I should warn ya I'm currently writing/planning a Scootaloo story, and that the concept of having someone write a story for another of the CMC sounds like an awesome idea.

511365 Alright, Sparkler it is. Do I have permission to begin writing?

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Sure. Send me a link once your first chapter's ready; I am making a rule that I pre-read any Winningverse stuff, just to keep an eye on consistency and make sure there aren't any issues.

Okay, will do! :pinkiehappy:

I will probably start out on google docs then transfer it over here.

Hmmmmm... maybe I could bring the CMC into this, and their dealings with other members of the Winningverse.

Go for it. I'd love another story to write around it's made this planning phase the hardest and most fun one I've ever done.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Updated the top post to add a list of ponies I'd recommend for fic-writing.

I want to write... but I've no idea what I would be doing anyway, I've no idea what other characters would be doing in the Winningverse. Not to mention I'm a very slow writer. I might write if I suddenly get hit with inspiration, but until then...
The best I can probably do right now though is offer some editing assistance.

Small Brainstorming Ensues...
That said... it would be interesting to see a story from Big Mac's point of view, but from what I can tell that's rather tied in with Lesson Plans of a Winning Teacher.
Hm... a story from Princess Luna's point of view? Save for giving Twilight her assignment and her interaction with Cloud Kicker, she's barely involved with the main story.
How about a story from Aloe or Lotus's point of view?

I'll keep thinking on this.

While I'd absolutely love to contribute (I do so love the stories in this 'verse) I'm not cruel enough to subject y'all to my painfully nonexistent update schedule.

Doesn't mean I can't participate regardless. If any of the authors in this circle need editing assistance on their chapter updates, I'm your ginger. Ponibius has taken me up on that offer in the past, so he can vouch.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Big Mac would require a lot of coordinating with Cloudhammer due to Lesson Plans, and probably a bit with Incidental since he'll be an observer to Fabulosity's RariJack mess. Could be a lot of fun seeing Big Mac's take on all the crazy happening around him though.

Luna could be a lot of fun, especially now that Sleepless in Ponyville has canonized her dreamwalking powers. The only complications are that one or two other folks have expressed interest, and writing Luna without giving a definitive answer to the question of whether or not CK and Luna banged would be tricky. However, there's definitely some real potential there, and I'll admit that Sleepless in Ponyville has softened me up a bit towards saying that something happened.

Aloe and Lotus could be an interesting combo too, though I'm not sure how much material they've got to work with right now. Doesn't mean a good author couldn't pull it off though, and not a lot of material means there's more room for creativity.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the next chapter of "My Little Chrono Triggers Are Magic." You've kept me hanging for three months now!

I felt i could expand the possibilities some so i am gonna give it a shot.

Aloe and Lotus could easily be a part of the rumor mill in Ponyville and given how well known CK is, the obviousness of Rarity and AJ on the park day (Rarity being someone they would certainly be interested in hearing about considering the length they went to to ensure CK had a "Great" time), and the other stories could easily have been perceived at points by parts of the rumor mill. It could make a rather funny Comedy for the Verse, especially if the rumors played out sort of like a big game of Telephone (If you know what a game of Telephone is like, i understand it has different names in different places.).

I have also noticed the CMC's have dropped off of the main stories other than the mention in the Cherilee focus. Their POV's are possible stories that havent been marked as "Taken", unless of course they are already heavily incorporated into another's story. Sweetie Belle in particular would be an amusing read given her interest in love.

Once a decision on Alula and Dinky being available or not is made that opens up Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. I can only imagine what those two would say about the goings on in Alula and Dinky's lives, as well as their own possible ship/s.

Nurse Redheart has also gotten a decent amount of face time in the Winning-Verse and is a possibility either as her own story or a part of the rumor mill, though she has been presented a bit to professional to indulge in gossip about her work she could still enjoy hearing it instead of supplying.

Spike is also a possibility, he has a little face time in the 'verse but would be heavily attached to "Study of" But it ought to interesting to see his POV, especially once he finds out about Rarity and AJ.

The portrayal of Zecora was also quite hilarious in "Study" and given her "Helpful" nature with Twilight, she should prove to be quite funny, though if the writer stuck to the Rhyming constantly they might find it rather difficult.

Well that's what i have for now, let me know what ya think. Hopefully this helps the Winning-verse grow, and given that i am now free from my 14 page Term paper i might jump in to write something at some point and i will be considering my options in the mean time. Even if i can't or fail, i will still try to help. :twilightsmile:

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Aloe and Lotus at the center of Ponyville's rumor mill does sound like it could be the basis of an interesting story. I quite like the idea, especially since they have a real knack for being in a position to see things going on while rarely being active participants. Provides a sort of outsider's view of the Winningverse's craziness, which would be a fun thing to have.

The Crusaders would be great for a focus story. Chono is planning a Scootaloo story, but since s/he seems up for collaborating with another author writing one of the other Crusaders that could work. Apple Bloom and Sweetie both have some real fun plot potential. Sweetie would probably require some coordinating with Incidental Pegasus No. 5 (author of the Rarity-centered "Fabulosity of a Winning Fashionista") but a little collaboration is a good thing.

Alula's temporarily unavailable until her illness plot thread is fully developed/resolved. Not to give away too much, but there's no way to write a fic centered on her until the rest of that plot drops. Dinky could definitely be fun, though since a Sparkler fic is in the works that might need some coordinating.

Redheart could definitely be fun, but someone's already gotten in touch with me about possibly writing a fic for her.

You pretty much covered Spike. Could be fun, but you'd need to work with Ponibius.

Zecora could be great to write, but I think you'd the rhyming would be pretty hard to pull off if you carried it all the way into internal monologue. Might end up being a bit trying on the readers too, at least from my own memories of reading epic-length poems that used any form of rhyming.

Looking forward to whatever you can offer.

534734 534826

So far Scootaloo has been surprisingly intertwined with most every story in someway. It never really occurred to me till I started planning but the CMC sorta know and interact with everyone. On that note a story using one of the other crusaders would at the bare minimum cross over to some degree with my story, lesson plans, and Fabulosity. Simply so events aren't stacked a top each other in an impossible way. After all you do typically interact with your teacher, best friends, and sisters to some degree in your day to day life.

Not that I'm trying to discourage anyone from writing for the other crusaders. I'd actually really enjoy it if someone took up those mantles. After all so far the most fun part of all this has been finding where and when I can squeeze in some Scootaloo.

On a side note I'm a dude to prevent future s/hes

JaketheGinger
Group Contributor

Hm....hm.

Having trouble deciding what character I could and indeed, should write.

I like Lyra. She has a lot of potential as a character to have her own plot lines and such. Problem is, her personality depicted in Fabulosity conflicts with how I write it. Well. It might.

If you want a general idea of how I write her, see my entry in The Album, which Chengar was a part of I believe. Granted, she's not really excited in that one but it isn't impossible.

I suppose how she's presented in fabulosity could be put to either Rarity being an unreliable narrator and/or Lyra simply being excited on Hearts and Hooves day. I mean, who wouldn't in her position?

Either that or Apple Bloom but if I pick her, I'd wait for Chono's story to come out first and see what I can work of off.

Blargh, so many options!

If your intrested in writing for Apple Bloom you could just get in contact with me and we could discuss anything you'd need to know.

Incidental Pegasus No. 5
Group Contributor

Lyra simply being excited on Hearts and Hooves day.

This is basically what I was going for. She was excited, and she wanted to thank Rarity, but didn't want to keep Bon Bon waiting, so she did it as fast as she could. I hadn't meant to suggest that she's always running around speaking in paragraphs with no punctuation. The "second most excitable pony" thing was based off that jumping thing the animators have her do sometimes.

If you want to take Lyra's story, there's no reason why we'd need to let my one-off gag define the character's Winningverse personality.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

I'd say go for it. Like Incidental said, excited Lyra was excited, so you're pretty clear personality wise. About the only real things that have been established on her for the Winningverse so far:

* She's with Bon Bon (Though with this fandom, it'd be stranger if she wasn't)
* They're threesome buddies with Cloud Kicker (until The Drama starts)
* Lyra doesn't mind a raunchy joke or two when speaking to Cloud Kicker. Last bit's important, since it means that, like being excited on Hearts and Hooves Day, it's not necessarily a big part of her character. Cloudy does tend to draw out dirty jokes from ponies who don't normally make them..

Incidental Pegasus No. 5
Group Contributor

534734>>534826
I think I've come up with a way that a Zecora POV story could be done without having to do an internal monologue that speaks in rhyming couplets, which I can only imagine would be incredibly frustrating to write and not so much fun for the reader, either.

We know Equestrian isn't Zecora's native language – we heard her speak a bit of her culture's language in Bridle Gossip. What if the rhyming is a game she plays to practice her Equestrian vocabulary? Since her internal monologue would be in her native tongue rather than Equestrian, she wouldn't do it then.

Valid point, and is quite workable. Also i wonder what Zecora's impression of pony cultural standards is, when it comes to romantic interactions, a lot of fertile ground there for comedy should the writer be inclined to come up with the Zebra culture to compare it too. On the same idea someone could be assisting Zecora with her Equestrian in the nuances of speaking a language that is difficult for her to understand. Perhaps her rhyming is to keep her from accidentally implying some rather humorous ideas/implications in her plain speech. That would hold even better in Winning-Verse should it be in the context of said romantic interactions. Can you imagine Zecora trying to speak without rhyme to CK and accidentally implying romantic interest, or making a very lewd statement and not understanding CK's reactions? CK and Zecora could actually be friends sharing a rather embarrassing (Possibly an intimate physica) first encounter. Ck could also be helping Zecora make sure when she finds someone she is interested in that when she speaks plain she doesn't drive them away.
Really great point actually. :rainbowlaugh:

JaketheGinger
Group Contributor

Just a note for future reference, I've begun writing a Winningverse fic for Lyra. So if any other authors want to cooperate with me regarding plotlines and such, feel free to give me a PM and we'll discuss! :twilightsmile:

Hey, so im pretty sure im gonna start writing an apple bloom fic. love this verse and cant wait to fit a story into it.

Well if you do end up writing one be sure to keep in touch so we can avoid steping on each others toes.

shut up chono. stop being silly.

So, I've had the idea for a Pinkie POV and the draft of the first chapter is basically complete. According to the list it's a bad idea though. :pinkiesad2:

Darn. gotta find somepony else.

493552 Hm... I had a thought of somehow placing Lightning Dust into the winningverse...

What do you think of said idea, Chengar?

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

I'd be up for it, if there's a way to make her fit nicely.

594338 Perhaps a fic that introduces Lightning Dust as a pony out for RD's heart? Pinkie Pie wouldn't like that too much I think. :eeyup:

I admit I thought about writing for this universe until I read that Pinkie would be a bad idea (I even had a title, "The insensitivity of a winning party pony") just because I had this image of a prequel/flashback story/crackfic. Basically Pinkie and others realize they'd been making Blossomforth feel bad by discussing all the tail that CK was getting... by singing the Bang song from How I Met your Mother.

I mention this not as a plea to get permission for it, but rather to put the idea out there in case someone more talented/involved in the winningverse wants to run with it.

BTW.... it should be mentioned this is likely my favorite pony-fic series... ever.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

That could be interesting, and I could certainly see it given how close Lightning was to Rainbow. The only potential complication would be the timeline issues, since Lightning Dust doesn't show up until season 3.

594713 That's true, but it's able to be worked around if you use behind the scenes parts during other ponies' episodes

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Oh yeah. It can work, it's just a matter of taking those things into account.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

589792, 594537
It bears mentioning that the reason Pinkie was on the off-list was that a couple other folks had already expressed an interest in writing her. It might be worth getting together with them and seeing if you guys can hash something out.

I see that Raindrops is on the list there for an interesting pony to write about. I think it would be fun to write about another pegasus that isn't directly involved, but still views everything from a different perspective. I'm reading a fic now that co-stars Raindrops, and the author gives her a bubbly, sort-of random personality, slightly like Pinkie Pie, but not so outrageous. I like that kind of personality, and I think it would an interesting look at things that happen, even if it is just a third-person view.

I'm not sure if I could be one to write such a fic, as I would more than likely butcher it, but if became a better writer, I would love to write one about her. However, I'm not saying that I am going to, nor that I ever will, I'm just saying it would be interesting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 104