Alternative Conversion Bureau 1,049 members · 344 stories
Comments ( 139 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 139

No, nobody is in trouble, the mods have not decided that our group needs to be erased.

A couple weeks back, I announced in my blog that I would be leaving this group. Unfortunately, when I tried to leave, I got an error. I contacted Wanderer D about it, and he explained that since I was listed as the group's founder, I had no way to leave without deleting it. I cannot demote myself. I cannot transfer ownership. The only way out is to nuke the whole thing, so that's what I'm going to do.

If someone wants to make a new ACB group to replace this one (preferably someone a bit more invested than myself), feel free to do so. Hell, you wouldn't even have to make it an ACB group; we barely mention TCB anymore as it is.

You've got a week from the time of this post to back up any conversations, topics, member lists, etc. from this group before I delete it.

Do you really have to leave that bad that you'd take the entire group with you?

Ah, dang, won't be the same without you here. :pinkiesad2:

Well fair enough, TBC is a shite genre of fanfiction and does not deserve such a large following. Guess everything has a Cell by date.

Well....:fluttercry:

:flutterrage:THAT SUCKS!!!!

Who is a good at this? I am not!:fluttershyouch:

This.
There's a lot of history, and a lot of members here. Is it really worth it?

800271 <-- What he said.

I might be wrong, but can't you just set it to ignore all notifications from the group and just continue on with your life without interacting with it?

Just seems a little pointless to destroy the entire group when there's another option.

Well someone's gotta make a new group I guess for this.

Live long and prosper Starman Ghost.

GIULIO
Group Admin

I don't really get why you want to leave that bad. I really don't Starman. Instead of deleting the ACB group, can you ask a mod to forcefully demote yourself and not be considered as founder? I'm a fucking moron who can't read, disregard that.

Still, it seems that you're taking this 'I don't want to have anything to do with TCB' deal a smidgen too far.

Demon Eyes Laharl
Group Contributor

How the hell did Velk get out as a founder then? :rainbowhuh:

Humanist
Group Admin

I strongly oppose this decision.

I am a little shocked at how you are going about this, to be honest. This is definitely not an appropriate response to the situation.

You're willing to destroy everything we have simply because you don't want to be associated with the sub-genre anymore? That seems remarkably selfish. Unbelievably selfish, actually.

My respect for you has dropped significantly.

#leavingthefandom
#mylifeisnowruined
#endoftheworld

#gloat

Do you really have to leave that bad that you'd take the entire group with you?

Yes.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you want to leave so badly that you're willing to take the entire group with you.:twilightoops: That's kinda unnecessary, don't you think?

Well, I mean, is there a reason for it? It just seems kind of, I dunno, selfish to end a big group because you don't want to be in it.

Deadite174
Group Contributor

Can you contact Knighty about doing something to remove you without fucking over the whole group? It's asinine the system can't just let you leave and let that be it.

Warwolf
Group Admin

Dude.

Seriously. What the fuck?

:facehoof:

I agree with your statement.

Humanist
Group Admin

Again, I think this is a completely disproportionate response.

If you really, REALLY want to distance yourself from the group so badly, make a new Fimfiction account and transfer all of your stuff there.

Don't make everyone else suffer because of your personal dislike of the sub-genre.

800310 Indeed... what this means is that - unless you've favorited them - any Anti-Conversion Bureau stories will be harder to find. Seems like Starman's being a bit petulant, "If I can't leave this group then I'll just delete it!"

GIULIO
Group Admin

That's a pretty shite attitude to have, Starman, not gonna lie. I expected better from you.

800324 I already tried contacting the mods! They haven't done anything to help! They just said "you'll have to delete the group"!

GIULIO
Group Admin

He said Knighty, not the others. Knighty is the one who owns the site and has more access to it than anyone else. If anyone can solve this, he can. Did you contact him specifically?

Humanist
Group Admin

Or: make a new account and transfer your stuff to that one, leaving your current one effectively a zombie. It is less extreme than what you are currently planning and nobody else has to suffer.

So, just because you can't demote yourself, you'd rather delete a group with 370 members, almost a year of history, a massive collection of stories? Why do you need to take such a selfish action?

I was just about to say this myself.
Starman, there are 357 people in this group that you are inconveniencing here.

Are you saying that you are more important than all of us? That your concerns and desires outweigh our own?

800335 I'm not the one who designed the site so that the founder of a group can't leave said group without deleting it. If you think you can find some way to get knighty's attention so he can transfer the group ownership to Velkaden, you're more than welcome to try. Go ahead and show him this post so he knows I'm okay with it.

This is still your responsibility, no matter how much you want out of it now. Whining about it and refusing to make any more efforts to resolve this yourself won't solve the problem. Man up and do what needs to be done.

Warwolf
Group Admin

I've said it before on PM, I'll say it now. Just set your account to ignore anything that happens on the group. or just make a new account and transfer all your stuff there or something so that you don't need to delete the group. As PT mentioned, there are nearly just over three hundred and a half of us here. There's got to be a better way to handle this than just deleting this place on us just because you don't like the subgenre anymore.

Humanist
Group Admin

I will attempt to do so. Still, what is wrong with my suggestion? Could you not make a separate account and transfer your stuff to that one, leaving this one as a "zombie" so that the group can continue to exist?

That would allow you to distance yourself from the group without having to destroy it. You'd get what you want and we'd get what we want.

Sure, it would take a bit more effort on your part, but that's kind of the point. You have to be responsible for your own actions. If you are willing to destroy something that so many people hold dear to get what you want rather than take a different option because it makes things slightly more difficult for yourself... well, then I'd pretty much lose all respect for you.

Even if my suggestion does not work, I'd recommend pursuing any and all alternatives before even considering your current course of action.
You want to remove yourself from the group? Fine. But don't make others pay for it.

800271 Agreed

800316 Dude not cool

800345 I did, yes, but I have very little confidence that I'll ever receive a response. He's never given me one before when I brought up other issues.

GIULIO
Group Admin

800351>>800376
Starman, listen to me.

Do you know how immature you're sounding right now? You want to delete a group of 357 members just because it's an inconvenience to yourself. You're being overly impatient with Knighty to respond to this, and you are not even considering the probably more logical alternative to simply opening a second account and transferring everything there.

Don't be like this man.

Pretty much this. It's petty to hurt so many people for a personal vendetta.

Hold on, wait a minute. Maybe there's another way

800391 Why should I have to transfer everything to a dummy account, and leave this one as a group admin where the group will still be connected to my FiM community name? Also, I won't be able to transfer my story in progress to that account because the site forbids re-uploading the same story.

If you're expecting me to do all of that because there isn't one single person in a group of 300+ people who can spend the 30 seconds it takes to create a new group, I don't think I'm being the selfish one.

Dude, you're starting to take your dislike of the TCB "genre" more than a little too far.

Wait, hold on. Why can't you just transfer ownership of the group to another user?

Anyways, this is sad. Joining this group was the first thing I did on fimfiction, less than ten minutes after joining. And watching NMS. Lot of memories, here.

I'll be willing to start up a second group if the mods won't help and Starman still wants to leave though. Just a continuation of the same group.

GIULIO
Group Admin

Send a message to the mods explaining your situation. They can make an exception to the rule for you.

You know, as much as I hate to say it, you're not deserving of that avatar of Sigmund Freud.

Because Fimfiction's dumb like that.

800453 Simply put, there's no way. There is nowhere in any part of the group control settings that lets you change the group founder.

GIULIO
Group Admin

It might not be his fault, but he's still responsible. It's a matter of principle.

He said at least that we have a week before that, right? A lot can happen in a week so let's give a bit of time for the admins to do a proper reply (If they didn't do) and make sure if they can make possible to him to leave without deleting the group.
In the meantime we should save the important things from here in the case that the worst comes to be and prepare, I don't know, a backup plan if you are really interested in the survival of this group.
Just what I think though. I don't want this group to disappear but I don't like that the founder of a group should be linked to it forever because interests come and go in time.

Are you serious!

Starman... are you really so selfish that you would go and delete the entire group just because you don't want to be a part of it anymore? Seriously, just ignore notifications you get from this group and leave the rest of us be.

I only joined a short time ago and I love this group, the TCB group is so... misanthropic. I like this place so much.

Now you will just delete this because you don't want to be a member any more. What the hell man? :rainbowhuh:

Warwolf
Group Admin

So basically you're willing to throw away a year's worth of history that everyone, not just you, put into this place, just because of your dislike of the TCB subgenre.

What. the. fuck. Just set your account to ignore anything on this group and boom, you're fine. Or just don't freaking pay attention to any notifications from this group. You shouldn't screw over people in the group by deleting it just because you don't like the subgenre anymore. We can't just up and move every thread to a new group. That's over a year of history. Lost. Gone. And for what? Why does the group have to suffer just because you don't want to be part of it anymore?

And other people have put up continuations of other people's stories with permission from the original author before. It happened over in the Lunaverse group. I'm sure you could get some dispensation from the admins if you had to for it if worse comes to worst.

Humanist
Group Admin

Why should 350+ people need to lose something they care about and enjoy because of the desires of a single individual?

You ARE being the selfish one here, and I am quite frankly amazed that you would even dispute that.

Like it or not you have a responsibility to all of the members of this group. I know you didn't ask for it or expect it, but the fact is that you have it.

Not only do you have a responsibility to the members of the group as its leader, but you also have a responsibility as a person to ensure that your own actions do not harm others. You have a responsibility to accept and shoulder the consequences of your own actions, instead of pushing them off on others.

Well, here, have an emergency group just in case. Help me out just in case by backing shit up, i'm using Opera to save pages.

That being said, really, really don't want to see this go, and if there's anyway Starman can transfer ownership to somebody else or the mods help, then let's go with that and I'll delete this.

Really, really hoping we don't have to use this.

So who is gonna make the new group

Guys, I see where he's coming from. Maybe everyone needs to move on and stop obsessing over the TCB universe, it's a crappy idea that has generated lots of crappy and not so crappy fanficts. But recently it has got somewhat out of control and people have started to get to passionate and emotional over a fictional setting where pastel horses attempt to assimilate humanity.

Lets go discuss something else.

Send a message to the mods explaining your situation. They can make an exception to the rule for you.

No they can't.

GIULIO
Group Admin

Um, yes they can. Stories have been reuplodaded with different accounts or by others with the permission of the original authors. Try again.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 139