Cadance: Devoted and Loving 255 members · 191 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

Finding a fic where Luna is a badass? Easy

Celestia? Look in the Celestia group

Mane 6? Have you been to the site? Dime a dozen.

Heck even Shining has a few where he is kicking flank like nopony's business (Where loyalties comes to mind)

But what about Cadence? Where are the fics where she is a complete and utter badass. The stories where she is kicking as much flank as her aunts and taking names? Anypony know of any? Heck, Cadence doesn't even have to be the main character, but at least one where she is kicking can!

And if there isn't, why? I mean, Celestia loses more and we have several fics where she is the warrior maiden. Is it because of her gift? Because a good writer could take that and turn it into a badass scene (am in the middle of coming up with one right now) So where is her time to own?

Of course she's badass. She gave us this priceless image.

2308000 I'm not sure how Spike is even staying on, considering they are flying at a / sort of angle.

2308325 His feet are nearly wrapped around her neck is how. Also, magic and cartoon physics :trollestia:

She is badass in the show, but not in fanfics, i think it is what autor of this threat is trying to say.

Well, he can canonically conjure seatbelts for alicorn riding, now

Unless we're all wrong about the earth pony side of things and all earth ponies (and thus all alicorns) have hidden seatbelts as their additional appendage.

That would be kind of cool.

2308516 Heh.

2307916 I've looked around, but have yet to find any. On the other hand, there's a series of fics called the "Cadance of Cloudsdale Cycle"; it doesn't make her a badass, but it does expand on her characterization by a great deal. It's pretty good stuff. :twilightsmile:

I've read those, they are pretty awesome.

Well, that is what I am kind of saying. I mean "Immortal Game", "Moonstone Cup", "Power Surge", and "Pest Control" All have the princesses kicking butt. However, name one of those that has Cadence in the same styly or written in the same awesome manner. I know of at least one fic where it has Cadence bearly able to do anything to protect her own kingdom. It just seems that Cadence gets the short end of the stick in terms of badass moments

Cady has the disadvantage here of being part of a male/female dichotomous pairing in the symbol set. More than any other female in the cast, she is THE female, archetypally, and tends to embody the classic feminine traits; because if you give her flank-kicking war powers, what's there for Shiny, the archetypal male, to do?

2310141, 2310324
Oh, and thanks for the kind words on my stories. :pinkiehappy:

I blame the backsory of the character.
While in the show Celestia and Luna are complitly useless, they have solid backstory what fanfic writters explore, and even though I still think that Celestia and Luna often screw up or are useless in the fanfics, they still get more badass moments than Cadence.

Cadence in 4 episodes ( the ones where she have major appearances ) is helping mane 6 save the day, in those 4 episodes she did far more then Celestia and Luna in all 4 seasons ( especially with them being captured like Princess Peach in season 4 first two episodes ), but Cadence only backstory is that she was Twilight foal-sitter.
I think that most writers think of her as the weakest one with least potential, ( I mean, in the show, she helped to repel entire invasion force and she played major role in killing King Sombra, but her backstory and appearance make her looks like a soft character who is incapable of badass moments ).
Oh the irony.

I can see your point about what is there for Shining to do, but I can also point out two counter examples. In Sailor Moon, though Mamaru Chiba is presented as a guardian figure and a protector (To the point where the writer herself has said he represents Earth on the team) Usagi is the far more powerful one and the heroine. Also, take in account of the girls of W.I.T.C.H where Caleb, a rebel leader, is on par with the girls in terms of phsyical strength. I see these as less of taking away from something when done right and more of demonstrating them as equals.

That's the way I always see Cadence's and Shining's relationship in terms of fighting. Shining handles everything that is incoming and weakens them for the princess to take down the rest. I would see it more as showing why these two work well together in a battle couple type of sense. Again, see above.

Shiny could be a partner, like in any good relationship or...be in the same catagory as some guys who have girlfriend's and wives that are stronger than he is. He can kick butt on his own, but then there are the bigger guys.
PS. Of course I have nothing but kind words for your stories.

The points you bring out seems similar to how some people see and treat Sailor Moon in certain Sailor moon fanfics. They only see the girl for a few episodes and treat her as a crybaby 24/7;however, we who have read and seen more of the show will be quick to point out that she has had her own badass moments (see the end fight)

But I guess the thing is, I don't see her as weak and has a much potiental as any of the other princesses despite her connection. I guess it comes from my reading and love of things like Sailor Moon, Winx, and W.I.T.C.H where I can go "Well, Cadence in form reminds me of this"

PS. I say less like princess peach and more like Zelda (ie. Zelda can be badass but is usually got the drop on before she can do anything proper to fight back. DARN YOU TWILIGHT PRINCESS!!) and I would of loved to see the immortal game take on Cadence.

In immortal game Luna had a lot of chances to prove herself, and every single time her flank was being kicked.

Corrupted Twilight beat her up when she was not fully recovered.
She beat her up even when Luna was fully recovered.
Most of the battles ends up with Luna being useless ( sure, she leads mane 5 and organize them to fight back, but on her own she screw up everytime while Twilight who does not have alicorn powers is every single time showed OP. )
And scene where Luna encounter enemy general, instead of finishing him off, she let him go, what ends up with Twilight facing this general and his army where she almost die.
Even in immortal game, Celestia and Luna end up on the sharp part of the stick, and it says a lot as it is one of rare fanfics what actually let them do something useful or at least participate in the action.

2308379 Oh I agree. I posted the image because it was the most badass thing I could think of Cadance doing on her own in the show. And to maybe inspire discussion?

Most awesome Cadance pic!

2339802 She is so badass that not even the Expendables is enough to satisfy her badassary.:rainbowdetermined2:

I've got to agree, it's a disappointing state of affairs.

After reading this I went through my favorites with Cadence as a primary character and none of them really involved her kicking ass, even in one fic where it 'sort' of happened ended with her knocked out and later in a hostage situation. Though she was pretty blaze about it.

It's odd, because as you say, she's helped kick the changelings out in S2 and in 3 she simulated a whole environment while keeping a blizzard and... whatever Sombra was out of the city for days on end, then flew off and helped blow him up.

I think one of the Cadence and Cloudsdale fics, has her playing a heroic, if not combat role. (Lady Prismia and the Princess-Goddess by Skywriter)

It may be because, as some people have said that she's unfairly seen as not capable because of her appearance, or because folks would rather make her husband a badass, rather than her or both. I think the initial "she's a demi/mortal aliorn" idea, may have played a part, the comics probably didn't help as they left what could be a mysterious, possibly ancient, past and made it 'normal.'

Of course none of that has stopped the mane cast so I can never think of a good reason for he not to be used awesomely.

Celestia and Luna have a slight advantage in that no one knows how old they are, but we do know they have defeated Discord, Sombra and Celestia took out NMM. So right from the start of the series we had two pre-prepared ancient entities, with a mysterious and easy to fill with awesome battle background and a history of taking out enemies.

Thanks, and it is kind of annoying to me because I think that a good writer (not nessecarily myself) could do something near as epic as what I have seen in certain fics. Heck, I have two in the pipeline...ok to fair, the one fic is Cadence and Shining going off on an adventure to hunt down the main villian, but there is one I am planning on (If I get the courage to do or just give it to someone I think could do better) where Cadence not only rules the empire and has to deal with the problems involved...but ends up kicking the butt of a freaking hate demon.

I keep finding it odd that we can do a fic where Fluttershy, the meekest of the mane 6, is a dragon-slayer, guardian of a magical font, and a fic where she is the lone survivor of an apocolspe. but Cadence will get the short of the stick.

I can see where you are coming from, but the comics also leave things open- How much did she give herself to training with a weapon, how powerful is her magic compared to Luna, Celestia, and Twilight, and a few other things.

ITs not that I don't love the fics on this site, heaven's no. I love all of them and what a really good writer can do with the mane six. It's just that I really like to use and play with the royal couple and I actually like Cadence a lot and I feel like, of the four, she is usually pushed to the side in favor of the others.

Thanks, and it is kind of annoying to me because I think that a good writer (not nessecarily myself) could do something near as epic as what I have seen in certain fics. Heck, I have two in the pipeline...ok to fair, the one fic is Cadence and Shining going off on an adventure to hunt down the main villian, but there is one I am planning on (If I get the courage to do or just give it to someone I think could do better) where Cadence not only rules the empire and has to deal with the problems involved...but ends up kicking the butt of a freaking hate demon.

I wish your fics the best of luck! :pinkiehappy:
Given what you said here I feel it is worth mentioning that while I am not sure I am a good writer, I do have a fic where Cadence get's to be pretty awesome. It's a Lunaverse fic though. The basic idea is Cadence vs a re-imagined G1 villain. Though the epilogue... might disappoint, still she wins her primary fight and saves her nation. It is entitled 'From the Depths'

I can see where you are coming from, but the comics also leave things open- How much did she give herself to training with a weapon, how powerful is her magic compared to Luna, Celestia, and Twilight, and a few other things.

While the comics (though I don't really consider them canon) do leave some potential, they do limit things more than leaving her background blank. Still I actually did have a fic idea, one I probably won't get around to writing sadly, based around Celestia tutoring Cadence on how to be a warrior princess, lest anything happen to her and Equestria needs a princess general.

I agree, of the four Cadence is the most pushed to the side. Which is a shame for me, she's in my top three favorite characters. Some of it may also be to do with the initial fan reaction to the canon being changed up with her introduction, though I think a lot of that died down awhile ago.

As close as I've managed to this:

Is my story "Calling You" where I made Cadance into the Equestrian death goddess. Alas, there's no ass kicking involved, though... :twilightblush:

Mike

Now she's fighting Ninjas. FREAKING NINJAS! AND WINNING!!!!!!! AWESOME :rainbowkiss:!!

I'll probably get around to writing a badass Cadance sooner or later. I write her as more of a manipulator (in a good way; her aims are to make those she cares about, and ponies in general, happier); she'd consider it something of a failure if she had to fight, because it means her efforts toward diplomacy failed or something blindsided her. But she can definitely kick ass. She and Shining are different kinds of badasses; he's the military dude, the protector, the guy who sees the threat coming and prepares for it, while Cady is still trying to avoid the threat by being a diplomat. But when diplomacy fails, Shining is a battalion and Cadance is a tactical nuke; you protect your heavy guns as long as you can and then when your enemy is all lined up in front of them you let them loose.

In a story I recently wrote based on the episode "Twilight's Kingdom", I had Cadance stand up for Discord at the end, telling Celestia that she senses genuine love and remorse in him. When he asks her why she's standing up for him, given that he stood there and did nothing when Tirek took her husband's magic and threw her in Tartarus, she basically says "Because I know you're sorry for what you did. If you weren't sorry I would kill your ass." (Okay, she's much less crude about it, but she basically says that if she thought he wasn't remorseful, she'd destroy him... just like she destroyed Sombra and tried to destroy Chrysalis.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23