The Writers' Group 9,285 members · 56,341 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Ohai.

Anyone else noticed that around the holiday seasons, especially those ones with an emphasis on family, there seems to be an abundance of Scootalove fics? While there's nothing wrong with Scootalove fics (she is best crusader after all :scootangel:), I can't help but feel that most of these fics are fishing for feels, as opposed to actually making something that will affect someone.

There's two Scootalove fics in the feature box right now. And while they're better than some of the stuff that gets in there... I just can't help but think that they're these types of fishing fics. I've read both of them, and they're not horrible fics by any means, but that's just the impression I get. One of them reveals a detail at the end that just seems completely unnecessary, and kinda ruined things for me.

So with this is mind, why does Scootaloo just seem to be a character that people only use for 'feelsy' fics?

For those that say, "Well it's because she's an orphan," Imma stop you right there, bub. First, we don't know for sure that she even is one. And second, if she is one, I'm not sure she'd actually think all too much about her situation.

In all honesty, I like seeing her as an orphan. I can see the appeal. It makes her stand out and gives us a lot of material to work with. But that doesn't mean she's a... feels machine? I guess?

I honestly don't think she'd care too much. Oh, she would care about it, definitely. But it wouldn't dominate her life. If it did, then she would have been made an orphan very recently, and most fics don't present this as the case.

If she is an orphan, it's a situation she's definitely been in for years now. Therefore, she has to be used to most aspects of it. I don't think she'd like discussing it, but not because she's horribly, depressingly affected by it, but because she things it'd make things awkward between her and her friends. And as we've seen in Sleepless in Ponyville, Scootaloo is definitely concerned about her self-image.

Orphan or not, I think she's a happy character on the whole. She's got a lot of spirit and she's a lot of fun, so I think it's just a bit of a shame that she gets reduced to a feels cushion, or something. Scootaloo is a character, and therefore the sum of her parts, not just a heavy emphasis on one that might not even be canon yet.

-JaketheGinger

Do you know how hard it was to find a Scootaloo pic on derpibooru that wasn't a stupid Chickun meme? Geeze.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Christmas is for orphans. Ask Tiny Tim.

Honestly, that's probably why. No joke. Despite your stopification.

It's instant, easy, shake-and-bake feels to take a character who has nothing, and then give them something meaningful.

Tiny Tim's character was a happy, lust for life character though. The sadness around him came from his parents and Scrooge, who felt horribly guilty for his situation.

This isn't what we get with some Scootaloo fics.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Not so different from Scoots, really.

Scootaloo clearly doesn't let life get to her, if she is an orphan. She goes out, Crusades, has fun, drinks milkshakes. All the good stuff that goes along with childhood.

So spot on there, with that, in your post.

But her being cheerful just makes it all the easier to get said feels. Because she isn't a congealed pile of quivery angst we don't want to read about. She's irrepressible and plucky (and occasionally plucked). Exactly the sort of character that deserves to have her dreams come true.

Yeah, you're totally right.

2268819 I don't like reading these kind of fics much. I like my Scootaloos happy:scootangel:

Best Wishes, Zelos.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Really happy, apparently. :pinkiehappy:

2268819>>2268835
Nothing wrong with a little feels around the holidays, although like 2268891 I'd rather be reading stories with a nice ending, :twilightsmile:

I have this sneaking suspicion that they're going to nonchalantly drop Scootaloo's parents on us when we least expect it... kinda like Rainbow's dad/brother/creepy uncle/whatever from The Games Ponies Play.

2268819 There is so much speculation surrounding Scootaloo. Her parents or family are never seen in the show. The idea that Scootaloo is a orphan is an old idea. I like happy Scootaloo. She has a zest for life that the other crusaders lack. However, as much as I like the idea of Scootaloo as an orphan I prefer to think of her as the niece of Cheerilee. Her mom is frequently away on business and her dad is a royal guard. I also lean towards Berry Punch being her aunt as well.

A HOMELESS orphan, don't forget. I like my headcanon, which subverts all that by making her family a bunch of homeless vagabonds (like Ms. Peachbottom was implied to be). Maybe they were roving through Ponyville one day, and Scoots got attached. Her parents made friends with some one or had family that lived there permanently, so they agreed to let her stay.

Either way, Scootaloo doesn't strike me as the type to pity herself, or let a struggle get her down. It seems like her only insecurity is her flying ability; she'd blow off comments about her status or intelligence without a second thought. Every time I see her, that's not what I get. I get a feels magnet.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12