The Writers' Group 9,285 members · 56,341 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I have been on writers block for a long time and been wanting to come back and write again. Though I am a bit worried that love for writing will go out again, so any advice in-case if I ever feel un-motivated?

7692039 Forbid yourself everything else. Then you'll only be faced with a choice of staring at the wall and writing stories. It will be an easy choice that you will be able to make even with low motivation.

if I ever feel un-motivated

Motivation is a cruel lie, a fantasy tale told to excuse sloth and to inspire mediocrity.

There is no motivation. There is either will to do something or will not too. A choice of what action you want to invest to. Work and effort cannot wait for when 'inspiration,' or otherwise known as "meh, I suppose I could do it now," strikes. You either do the work or do not. You decide if wording is what you want to do or playing videogames/watching netflix/fucking around is something you want more.

I advise never writing at home. Do so out of the house when possible. Do not underestimate music as a muse to motivate you.

This is 1000% true but I'm gonna give my best motivational advice anyway

When you're searching for motivation, think about the idea for a story you've got, or come up with one, something you absolutely love, and think about how awesome it would be if that story existed. Then think about the fact that the only possible way that story can exist in the way you want it to exist, and be everything you want it to be, is to make it yourself. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE who can properly write what's in YOUR head. And if you don't write it, it will never see the light of day. And that is a crying shame! SO WRITE! :yay:

lol hope that helps

You could try limiting how much you write at any one time, so burnout would be less likely to happen. Sticking to stories you enjoy writing the most can help too. However, I've only been writing for about 3 and a half years, but it feels like motivation, the itch to write, is something that can come and go, but may not be something you can force to stay. Maybe it can help if you can say why you want to write? That might be able to help keep the flames from burning out again.

My Advice for Writers

1) Write every day. Even if you can only muster a single sentence, make the effort to do at least that much. You'll be surprised how many times you really don't feel like it, and then you make that one sentence, and it leads to far more than you had expected to get done.

2) Finish the story before you revise it. So, a mistake that can really cost you a lot of time and possibly prevent you from finishing at all is endlessly revising the beginning chapters to get them perfect. The problem is that you get to feeling stuck in a loop, and you can easily get discouraged by the lack of progress. Make notes as you go on things that you want to change in early chapters, but keep moving forward until you complete the first draft. Then revise however you want.

3) Know your theme. Not all stories have a theme, nor do they have to, but it can be incredibly helpful to help sort out how some events play out, and even how your story ends. It can be something as simple as... A Man's House is His Castle (Home Alone), or True Love Conquers All (The Princess Bride). Interstellar - love is a force that connects us all, transcending time and space & you can’t go anywhere without leaving something behind (go on adventure and lose time with family)... The theme is simply a short statement of what your story is about. It is kind of like a condensed heart of your work. In the case of The Last Cutie Mark Crusader, it is about suffering loss and learning how to deal with it.

4) Get a proof reader if you can to check over your spelling and grammar. If you trust this person, it is also invaluable to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Sometimes you just have to hear yourself say something, and that’s enough to decide if it is something you want to pursue or not.

5) and this is just a personal rule... I keep the first draft to myself (and any proof readers). The second draft is what I start showing people.

Of these, I believe that 1 is the most important. Write every day.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7692039 Write about horses kissing. That tends to fix writers block for me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8