The Writers' Group 9,285 members · 56,341 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

I was inspired after rewatching Dead Fantasy, a video series which was made for the sake of having bunch of ladies fight each other. And while I was watching a thought came into my head "can there be value in writing a story just for fun?"

A story where characters just interact, have fun, and fight baddies just cause. Not for the sake of teaching any kind of moral or whatever, but just because it's fun to see certain characters hang out and fight dudes.

by the way if you like what you see in the video then consider supporting the hd remake
https://www.patreon.com/uiyahan

Yes, very much so. It is those kinds of stories that often do the best and make the very art of writing fun. I wrote one after the season 8 finale involving Cozy Glow and Tirek right after she was imprisoned. It was one where she simply drove him nuts going on and on about her time in Twilight's school. How did it do? It was my ONLY story that got in the featured box and is my best story based off of percentage of likes.

Hell sometimes a short, fun story you write just for the sake of writing can be your best work. If you want to write a story just for fun, DO IT!

Yes?

Why is it even a question?

There's thousands of authors on this site and maybe a dozen that actually make something resembling a living off of it. Why do you think the rest of us are here?

I got a story barely anyone reads that I keep updating just because it’s fun to write. Maybe someday it’ll take off, but for now it’s a passion project.

Of course. There is nothing wrong about writing just for your own fun. Sure, in time, you may very well end up wanting to make your stories somewhat "deeper", but that's just your growth as a writer - it makes you retain the fun, while (possibly) making your stories better, more pleasant to read. It's simply gaining experience.

My point is, even though your work might evolve, there is absolutely nothing wrong about just making a story "fun"; in one way or another, that's the essence of most stories there are. And, believe me... in the majority of cases, if you're having fun writing a story, it's going to end up much better than it would otherwise. :twilightsmile:

A story where characters just interact, have fun, and fight baddies just cause. Not for the sake of teaching any kind of moral or whatever, but just because it's fun to see certain characters hang out and fight dudes.

That's not possible.

All stories teach some kind of moral, whether you want them to or not. This is because there's always a values statement made by how conflicts are resolved. When characters fight, a good outcome is a declaration that fighting can be a good way to solve problems. A bad outcome is an examination of why fighting over your differences instead of seeking a more amiable resolution is folly.

There's no way around this in some form or another. It's true of any conflict a story can form around.
It may not seem like a values judgment is being made, in the case of certain problems for which there are well-accepted stock solutions in our society, if the characters just use those stock solutions. It feels like you're just saying, "Duh, of course they did X when presented with problem Y, because that's what everyone does."
Even in that case, though, you're still making a judgment because you're defending the status quo of everyone using stock solution X as being a good thing (as opposed to examining why it may be a bad thing and proposing an alternative, which could also be an interesting story).

Well I'm thinking about a just silly comedy concept about a literal tank.

Its just to make people laugh, it is amazing to make something just to humor people

I mean, I'm pretty sure that a majority of people here write for fun.

I'm of the mind that if you're not having fun writing, you probably aren't supposed to write... At least, not the story that's robbing you of it.

There's joy to this craft that's matched by a lot of work, and a lot of fear - but joy unmistakably present.

Though I caution against the generalization that all writing imparts a moral lesson. Some do. Not all, though. Some emerge as thematic lanterns, illuminating some facet of existence, life, society, character, people, pony, etc, which we'd never consider. Some are simply instances of really sharp imagery that point out to us the intricacies of nature, environment, home, etc. Whether you find and read and get these things yourself, is entirely up to what you get out of the story.

I like to write with some themes in mind, but I like to have fun doing it. It's entirely possibly, therefore, to write with a "lesson" planned, and still have a blast getting there - so long as story takes precedent over preaching.

That's not possible.

Looks like what he described is perfectly possible. Note that he didn't say "write a story that doesn't present any morals." He's talking about writing a story just because the idea sounds fun, rather than with the specific intend of delivering a particular moral. It's perfectly possible to write a story because you think it's a fun idea rather than because you want to deliver a particular moral message. Certainly most of my stories fall into that category.

Absolutely. Sometimes (not all the time granted) but still, sometimes it is perfectly okay to go nuts and just write whatever you want, just because you just *want* to write it.

I find that most of the very best stories are written for the fun of it. Tolkien himself wrote The Hobbit because he wanted to find out what a hobbit was, and then took his sweet time putting the rest of the books together.

This tale grew in the telling, until it became a history of the Great War of the Ring and included many glimpses of the yet more ancient history that preceded it. It was begun soon after The Hobbit was written and before its publication in 1937; but I did not go on with this sequel, for I wished first to complete and set in order the mythology and legends of the Elder Days, which had then been taking shape for some years. I desired to do this for my own satisfaction, and I had little hope that other people would be interested in this work, especially since it was primarily linguistic in inspiration and was begun in order to provide the necessary background of 'history' for Elvish tongues.

If Tolkien didn't love what he was doing he would have never spent such a significant part of his life writing a fantasy series. He was a respected professor at Oxford University, he certainly didn't need the money or prestige.

Why would we even write fanfiction if not to have fun doing so?
Stories that the author enjoys writing are often some of the best you can find.

Of course stories should be written for fun.

But when it comes to publishing stories, it's always good to also take into account whether others would enjoy it. That's generally where the average gary stu self-insert edgefest fails.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16