The Writers' Group 9,290 members · 56,365 stories
Comments ( 729 )
  • Viewing 401 - 450 of 729
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Go for it. I'm not the most enthusiastic for Daring Don't, and am more interested in the episode after it, Flight to the Finish, which was a good Scootaloo episode...

--Sweetie Belle

HapHazred
Group Admin

7460022 Aight.

I'll take care of it. I'm probably a tad more forgiving to it than most anyway. At least it's got Rainbow Dash in it! : D

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Yep! Both the normal version and a Rainbow Dash recolor!

Mind you, that worked in Read It and Weep...

--Sweetie Belle

Write it as a review written by Rainbow Dash.

[Challenge accepted] / [Too smoll to try]

Does anyone here think Among Us is funny?

HapHazred
Group Admin

I got bored.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Yay, Sweetie Giraffe!

I probably should share that over here:

I should mention in here that I'll be doing the Flight to the Finish rewatch next week, btw. Last week, I'd decided to do it today, but it was kinda a long week, and while the weekend was kinda a kickback weekend, I didn't even think about the rewatch once until now, which is kinda too late in the day. (It complicates things that I haven't actually rewatched Daring Don't yet either, as I planned to watch them in the same sitting...)

Next weekend is a long weekend, so even if I forget, I'll remember at some point, tho'.

--Sweetie Belle

HapHazred
Group Admin

7472623 Enjoy your new forum weapon. : )

HapHazred
Group Admin

7472610 Sounds good. Remember if you ever want me to throw something together, I usually can. : )

I welcome Sweetie Giraffe with open arms.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Cellpone.

--Sweetie Belle

RIP whoever had to design a touchscreen for hooves.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7475335 At least a hoof top doesn't compress like my dumb fingers.

Ugh. This is why one day I'm going to replace them with pencils. If I wanted ten sausages I'd go to the butcher.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Breaking the screen with your hooves has got to be easy. Hopefully they are spelled unbreakable or something, though picking up where the hoof touches the screens gonna be tricky, too.

--Sweetie Belle

HapHazred
Group Admin

Howdy folks.

I'm going to be a tad delayed on the Power Ponies recap due to today being a little busy. I'll get to work on it this evening.

If it is because you're currently inventing and creating a new element for a new power source, like Iron Man did, we'll excuse you.

No pressure.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7482151 No it's worse.

I'm working on the introduction to my thesis. ; _ ;

You are the most boring Tony Stark/Iron Man ever.

You'd get like two seasons on Netflix, tops!

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Be nice to Hap. He must hide his true identity from the public eyes.

That representation is missing a little bit of something...

Perfection.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

And that's why Hap ships hapself with a bottle of Applejack.

Also googling Rainbow Dash drinks Applejack was disappointing.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7482157 You say 'boring' but I am basically still at the 'cave and box full of scraps' stage.

Yeah, give a guy billions of dollars and a high tech AI to do all the computational analysis and I'll give you some new elements too. Fuck, I'll make three. Why stop at one? I bet Tony never had to deal with the university ethics board. Or interdepartmental politics! Or incoherent email communication.

Oh, look at me, I'm Mr. Stark, not even a PhD, and when I snap my fingers everyone effin' jumps. I fly a tank, la di da, my beard gives me superpowers. Pah! If it'd have been me my suit would have been decked out with lube-emitters, and you can bet your arse that you wouldn't see fifteen superheroes struggling to wrestle a gauntlet off Thanos once I've made sure the inside is nice and slick. There is never a contingency for excessive lube. Never!

Question one:
Why do all of your dastardly plans involve either lube or super glue?

Question two:
Why does it feel like "cave and box full of scraps" is describing your home?

Question three:
When and why did you have to deal with the university ethics board, and should we be proofing our houses against well-lubed biomechanical tendrils?

HapHazred
Group Admin

7482758 Answer one: because there's never a foil for friction-related plots. If there was no contingency for something glamorous I'd be leaning on that instead, but all the cool things people proof against, so lube and glue it is.

Answer two: because after I lost my lab in a freak coronavirus accident, my place of operations is my home. So it has seen a recent influx of scraps and was already somewhat cave-ish.

Answer three: Because all I wanted was to vibrate people, and apparently that's a whole process.

because there's never a foil for friction-related plots. If there was no contingency for something glamorous I'd be leaning on that instead, but all the cool things people proof against, so lube and glue it is.

So... You arch-nemesis would be Acetone Man? The Washing Detergent Miracle Woman? The 2 in 1 Pack?

So it has seen a recent influx of scraps and was already somewhat cave-ish.

What's your Middle-Eastern terrorist ratio? Or how many physic professors that are on the verge of dying do you got in there?

Because all I wanted was to vibrate people, and apparently that's a whole process.

Well, it would be like that. What you need to do is vibrate their surroundings and let the vibrations transfer to them.

Make a planet-dildo device, Hap. It is your destiny!

Or you can go into sociology, which I don't think even counts as real science, and try to make people want to vibrate themselves.

HapHazred
Group Admin

Or you can go into sociology, which I don't think even counts as real science, and try to make people want to vibrate themselves.

Please. I have some standards. Not many, admittedly, which is why I guard the ones I have left jealously.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

For anyone looking for where to post cat videos, this is it!

(This is a fox video, tho'.)

--Sweetie Belle

Hey. Just letting you all know I'm still alive.

My mother, on the other hand, isn't. She passed way around Easter, or just after. Starved to death, though that makes it sound worse then it was. Cancer cut off the blood supply to her digestive system which ended up necrotizing. As I understand it, she literally couldn't experience hunger after that. So, that's a relief. The stubborn old lady somehow still survived over a week longer than expected.

We in the family have all been dealing with that. Don't worry about me, I'm very emotionally stable right now and had prepared myself for this sort of thing, and I may the one who's handled it the best. My father, on the other hand, was with her all along and I suspect he might be somewhat traumatized. So, I currently spend my time trying to keep him company.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'm sorry to hear that.

Just remember when taking care of your dad, to take some time for yourself, too...

--Sweetie Belle

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

I'm sorry for your loss.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

--Sweetie Belle

Well, dad is clearly starting to break down now. Fourth stage of grief, and all that. Starting to get genuinely worried for his mental health, so I called some of my siblings in an effort to rally the troops. I know they've talked with him on the phone and hopefully they'll visit this weekend to spend time with him. The man needs all the support he can get right now. Don't even want to contemplate how he'd deal with this if I wasn't actively living with him.

I'm doing fine under the circumstances - it's actually a bit scary just how well I'm taking all this - but emotionally speaking I do feel a bit weary.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Well, remember not to beat yourself up for not breaking down over it, too. People react differently to things, and these things can also be where you are perfectly fine one moment, then something reminds you of them, and you suddenly aren't. Birthdays, or days you would have spent a bunch of time with them are ones to watch out for.

I do recommend getting a big tub of ice cream, putting on a tv show or movie you like, and just totally absorbing yourself in it for a while and not thinking of anything else for a bit at some point.

If you haven't watched Owl House yet, you could always binge it. It'd be distracting!

--Sweetie Belle

Well, remember not to beat yourself up for not breaking down over it, too. People react differently to things, and these things can also be where you are perfectly fine one moment, then something reminds you of them, and you suddenly aren't. Birthdays, or days you would have spent a bunch of time with them are ones to watch out for.

It's just kinda ironic, you know? I was always the sensitive, emotional one, and I've always been incredibly bad at dealing with loss and change - even just small, everyday changes. So I've spent a lot of time learning to control my emotions, and it seems that over the years I've grown harder, tempered, like there's a steel armor over my heart. I don't consider that a bad thing, mind you, but this is the first truly significant loss I've suffered and I guess I just find my internal stability a bit unnerving now that it's being put to the test.

I can tell the others don't really get it: They think I'm silently suffering on the inside, but really I simply abide. I endure, and it's not even hard - really no different from my other battles with sorrow and anxiety. I just... never expected to be the strongest of us.

I do recommend getting a big tub of ice cream, putting on a tv show or movie you like, and just totally absorbing yourself in it for a while and not thinking of anything else for a bit at some point.

If you haven't watched Owl House yet, you could always binge it. It'd be distracting!

Well, I'm not really supposed to eat a lot of ice cream, 'cause of diabetes, But yeah: Distracting myself and maintaining a sense of normalcy is pretty much what I have been doing so far, since that has traditionally always been my main way of handling anxiety. (Also anti-depressants, but I started taking those before we knew just how bad mom's condition was.)

Have been meaning to check out Owl House, so I might just do that. Should probably also catch up on DuckTales, and get a hold of the last season of She-Ra that I still haven't seen. There's also a ton of anime I'm missing out on.

Recently watched through the available episodes of Monkie Kid. Good show, amazing actions scenes. Though, wish it took itself just a little bit more seriously and didn't rely so much on zany over-the-top comedy.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

It's just kinda ironic, you know? I was always the sensitive, emotional one, and I've always been incredibly bad at dealing with loss and change - even just small, everyday changes. So I've spent a lot of time learning to control my emotions, and it seems that over the years I've grown harder, tempered, like there's a steel armor over my heart. I don't consider that a bad thing, mind you, but this is the first truly significant loss I've suffered and I guess I just find my internal stability a bit unnerving now that it's being put to the test.

I can tell the others don't really get it: They think I'm silently suffering on the inside, but really I simply abide. I endure, and it's not even hard - really no different from my other battles with sorrow and anxiety. I just... never expected to be the strongest of us.

Well, it does make sense that if you spent a lot of time learning how to control your emotions, you'd be good at it at this point.

Personally, when I had my own mother die, I was feeling numb, but otherwise alright. The times that were the worst was actually when other people kept bringing her up and trying to help! So, as I said, everyone's different, but it does happen.

Well, I'm not really supposed to eat a lot of ice cream, 'cause of diabetes, But yeah: Distracting myself and maintaining a sense of normalcy is pretty much what I have been doing so far, since that has traditionally always been my main way of handling anxiety. (Also anti-depressants, but I started taking those before we knew just how bad mom's condition was.)

Yep, that's why I was suggesting it. And it doesn't have to be ice cream. Comfort food, anyways.

Have been meaning to check out Owl House, so I might just do that. Should probably also catch up on DuckTales, and get a hold of the last season of She-Ra that I still haven't seen. There's also a ton of anime I'm missing out on.

Sounds good to me! I really have to binge a bunch of episodes of DuckTales, and I still have yet to watch She-Ra, though being pretty sure I should.

--Sweetie Belle

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

You went through it all already and have accepted it perhaps Before it all formally happened. Whatever the reason is, it's how it is and life continues.

Oh and Duck Tales season 3 is great, I especially liked *spoilers* and *spoilers*. And who knew that *spoilers*. Anyway, lots of things to do and see.

I'm not going to point out how hooves can't work with phones, because let's face it, it's a cartoon, a snail could orchestrate a mariachi band of skunks in a piano and none of us should say, "That's impractical." I'm just kind of disappointed because of the set dressing we got in the first leak.

Look at this. A low cut bed that makes sense for a pony of her size, fat keys on the piano for her hooves, AND THAT BUTTON! Look at the button for her lamp! That big fat yellow button made me so excited because I thought, "Oh, the setting actually fits now." In the show, I'm sure we all noticed something like, "This room has a tall ceiling," or "that door's impractically tall for 3 foot equines." Granted, these are small little meaningless details, and they mean nothing to the story or universe overall, but that button gave me hope for a world that worked better with hooves and mouths, making a truly alien world that was different from our own. everything there is pony sized, completely inconvenient for something like a human that suddenly finds themselves in the magicless land of Equestria.

I'm not devastated or angry about them having modern technology, (Hell, the technology in G4 was inconsistent), I guess it only makes sense that they'd eventually adapt to a new realm of science. I'm just a little caught off guard, I guess.

So I woke up today with the idea for a children's fantasy story in my head. Thinking of trying to do something with it since I've suffered writer's block for a while and need to shake it off.

It should be sorta in the vein of Winnie-the-Pooh by way of a Ghibli movie. The main character I have in mind is a young female dragon who moves into some fairy tale forest and starts getting to know the locals. Currently trying to think of a name for her. Suggestions would be welcome.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7491531 Deedra's pretty nice. Apparently it's an name of american origin that means 'wanderer', and Deedra the Dragon is nice and alliterative.

Huh, what's your source on that? I looked it up and apparently the etymology is sorta murky, though most sites seem to think it's Irish, derived from Deidre, and means "melancholic" or "broken-hearted."

HapHazred
Group Admin

7491702 I just googled 'names that mean traveller or wanderer' and saw what came up. So, uh, pretty sketchy source. Let me see if I can find something more concrete for you.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7491702 Did some digging and it looks like that info came from a site called 'mominformed'. Says 'of american origin', meaning 'sorrowful' or 'wanderer'. Given that my digging also revealed it was more irish in origin, which tracks with what you've said, I can only imagine that it's actually not originally american of origin (perhaps the 'deedra' spelling is what's american here). Some additional digging at behindthename.com give some additional context.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/deirdre/comments/history#:~:text=Means%20%22sorrow%22%20or%20%22dear%20little%20wanderer%22.

Looks tenuous to me but hey. Old names often have a lot of wacky connotations.

looks like that info came from a site called 'mominformed'

...That totally sounds like a site for the sort of misinformation your mom tells you because she "heard it somewhere."

Also, that link just confirms my impression that the origin of this name is shrouded in mystery and a lot of people apparently have their own ideas of what it's supposed to mean.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7491732 Yup that's the vibe I'm getting as well.

This is why I don't tend to look too deep into name meanings. There have been dozens of generations of people trying to find ways to make boring names sound more interesting than what they really are. Take my name. It just means 'man'. I am 'Dude, son of Gib'. Yey, so meaningful. But you'll still find loads of people who decide it means brave or courageous, thanks to one particularly religious fanatic bearer of my name who failed miserably. Yay for the crusades, I guess.

Take my name. It just means 'man'. I am 'Dude, son of Gib'. Yey, so meaningful.

Mine means "Man Hill Groove." Would have been "Man, son of Lars" if patronymic surnames were still the standard, but at some point we started using "ornamental" names based on nature stuff. ("Lake Branch", "Stream Flow," etc.)

This reminds me, I used to live right next to a cemetery and this one time I came across the grave of a man named Karl Orkan, which in English would essentially translate to "Guy Hurricane." To this day I really hope that man was a sailor.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

--Sweetie Belle

What do you think of me?

(I can't reply)

HapHazred
Group Admin

7499607 You seem fine.

I've seen a lot worse in my time, at least.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 401 - 450 of 729