The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,384 stories
Comments ( 729 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 729

Anybody know what happened to AirBourne101? I had his story "Trials of the Dirt Prince" in my bookshelf and it's gone. Searched it up, nowhere to be found.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

If both he and the story are gone, he might've deleted his account.

It's still on fimfetch, tho'.

https://fimfetch.net/story/308866/trials-of-the-dirt-prince

--Sweetie Belle

Happy Saint Cecilia's Day, everyone!

Greetings, I have an inquiry: how does one interpret the 'statistics' part of a fanfic?

Been searching for that info, but so far I haven't found an explanation available.:fluttershysad:

I'd be grateful if either an explanation or a link to someone who does the explanation is provided.:moustache:

Thank you in advance! :twilightsmile:

i see everyone here love ponny)

So I basically stopped watching anime around Christmas because Star Wars got me into a sci-fi mood. Recently started to deal with the backlog of shows I followed so I can look into new stuff coming out.

Then I discover that the new season of Doctor Who is finally out.

Dammit. :facehoof:

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Might want to avoid spoilers as much as you can until you watch it. There is more than one episode where there are some surprises that are better as surprises...

--Sweetie Belle

Oh, I'm on episode 4 now. Besides, I don't really care about spoilers.

That said, I kinda want to know how the hell the Master is still alive and why he's an evil maniac again. And also why the Doctor didn't question that at all. I swear these writer have started to deliberately ignore continuity whenever it gets inconvenient.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Well, there are lots of possibilities for that. Nothing says this Master is after Missy in the timeline. The very first Master was actually either his 11th or 12th incarnations, and the ones past that have all been cheating death in some way or another. There are lots of Masters we've never seen before. This one was a really good Master, too!

Just wait until you see episode five! You'll have a whole bunch more questions...

--Sweetie Belle

Finished the available episodes.

I rather liked the two-parter premier. Cool aliens, lots of nice twists, almost felt like a low-key season finale.

I thought episode three was kinda meh. I don't mind the message itself, but it was really... hamfisted, lacked subtlety. The characters generally acted weird, the action parts were wonky, and there were like five noble sacrifices or something which almost started to feel comical. Also, never been a fan of the Alien-esque episodes where every expendable characters just keep getting picked off.

Episode four was totally decent, pretty much what I expect from standard Doctor Who.

Episode five was really good - it had an interesting mystery that just kept getting weirder and set up some very fascinating stuff for the future. Can't wait to see where they're going with this.

So, four out of five episodes were great and this is shaping up into a very strong season. I just hope they stick the landing: After all this I don't want the finale to just be the cybermen managing to return again. I want to see some truly cosmic, universe-ending, timeline-breaking stuff like the Tenth and Eleventh had to deal with.

Well, there are lots of possibilities for that. Nothing says this Master is after Missy in the timeline. The very first Master was actually either his 11th or 12th incarnations, and the ones past that have all been cheating death in some way or another. There are lots of Masters we've never seen before. This one was a really good Master, too!

This one did seem like a later incarnation, though, what with claiming to have destroyed Gallifrey after it was hidden away, because he discovered some terrible secret about the Time Lords. If he was telling the truth, that's a pretty big deal and seems like the sort of thing that would have come up if the previous ones were actually future versions of him. Also, I'm not sure but doesn't that mean there have been versions of the Master who tried to kill the Doctor knowing full well he would still be alive throughout several regenerations in the future? Time travel is weird.

Besides, I was sorta hoping that the next time we saw the Master, he or she would retain some of Missy's progress. Maybe acting more like a morally ambiguous trickster who might help the Doctor while still pursuing a personal agenda. Could still have been an antagonist but as more of an unpredictable rival with pretty different values. I think that might have been a good way to shake up the dynamic between those two. Oh well.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I did like the two parter, especially the Master. They gave a great performance, and I'm kinda liking the Doctor being more serious and darker.

I enjoyed episode three while I was watching it, then afterwards it started to click how many things didn't get resolved or expanded on. I liked how stubagful gave a review saying that he liked it in a comedy way, basically the same way he likes Paradise Towers. I can see that...

I liked the Tesla episode, but I already knew the history involved with Tesla and Edison, and they were being fairly faithful. (The 'American sense of humor' thing actually happened.) Tesla was well played, too, and I really liked his moment at the end.

Watched five yesterday, and I'm still thinking about it. I actually loved the new Doctor's Tardis. I'm very interested in the new Doctor, too. There's always been the fan thing of series 6b, being hypothetical adventures in between Patrick Troughton's last episode and Jon Pertwee's first one. There was an episode once that was showing the Doctor's regenerations and had several additional faces, implying there could have been others (The Brain of Morbius). Or it could be some sort of parallel Doctor...

It's also entirely possible this Master is between Simms and Missy. I'm also starting to wonder if this might be the new Doctor's Master, though I'm not sure if that makes sense. Or maybe Gallifrey's timeline is distorting, causing alternate timeline versions of time lords to bubble up or something. Maybe Logopolis-level problems are going on with the universe.

This could still be a post-Missy Master that's just discovered something that caused them to revert to form, of course.

Don't forget there's a Doctor Whooves group (that I took over), btw...

--Sweetie Belle

Speaking of the Tardis, I realized that I actually really like the one that the current Doctor set up. It was a bit of a drastic change in the beginning but now I think the "weird magic crystal cave" type look is my favorite so far. It looks genuinely alien, is kinda cozy and it's neat how it occasionally changes the color of the lighting to reflect the tone of a scene.

Regarding the developments with the Doctor and the other Doctor, I'm tentatively thinking alternate universes are involved somehow. Like the different dimensions are sorta merging together or something, which is why there are two Doctors and Gallifrey is apparently simultaneously destroyed and still in business. That's my theory for now, anyway.

Don't forget there's a Doctor Whooves group (that I took over), btw...

I'm actually a member, in fact I believe I joined when you took charge of it. Though, I don't really pay attention to groups unless they show up in my recent thread feed so it sorta depends on the over-all activity.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I do like the current Tardis, but I've always been fond of the classic era ones. I think right around Colin Baker era tends to be my mental image of what the inside of the Tardis looks like. Peter Capaldi had a pretty good one, too. What does bug me is that a Tardis should have something like infinite rooms inside it, and I feel like it should look like you can go further in. I liked the other Doctor's Tardis because it was a nice modernization of the classic design, from what little I saw of it.

I am tending towards alternate universe, though one thing with Doctor Who is that the canon has gone on for so long that there probably could be a million explanations. I'm not forgetting about the Valeyard, for example.

Swear I remember looking and seeing someone not in there recently, but I guess it was someone else. I mostly mentioned it because I've been doing weekly episode discussion threads there. Of course, I'm posting them before I get a chance to see the episodes, unfortunately. They air on Sunday, but turn up at around midnight or so on Amazon, so I often don't watch them until Monday night...

--Sweetie Belle

Wanted to watch the classic stuff. Started on the first series but it was sorta hard to get into, and there's a lot of it.

Any theory on who or what the Timeless Child might be?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Haven't really come up with any theories on that yet.

Main thing with the classic series is that besides there being a lot of it, the first two doctors have a bunch of missing episodes. The rest of the Doctors episodes are intact, though. Also, they are all in serials, so you might be watching 4-8 episodes or more to get a story. I kinda like that, but that's me.

I thought I'd suggest a few episodes, but got kinda carried away...
1st doctor:
An Unearthly Child- This was the first episode of Doctor Who. It was good. The rest of the serial had a bunch of caveman stuff and can be skipped.
The Daleks - The second serial, which gave us the Daleks, and ensured the series survived!
The Edge of Destruction - Only two episodes, and interesting stuff, though I suppose you could skip it.
The Keys of Marinus - This was fun.
The Dalek Invasion of Earth - The second Dalek story, and a very good one. This also has Susan's goodbye scene, and is probably worth watching for that.
The Space Museum - Will the Doctor, Barbara, Ian, and Vicki end up as displays?
The Time Meddler - This had the Meddling Monk, and is a classic.
The War Machines - "DOCTOR WhO IS ReQUIRED!". Okay, I suppose you could skip it.

2nd Doctor:
The Power of the Daleks - First 2nd doctor serial. It was totally lost, but they had the audio, and did an animation to it. It's actually a really good story, with the Daleks tricking the colonists into thinking they were their servants.
The Tomb of the Cybermen - If you watch one second Doctor episode, watch this one.
The Enemy of the World - Not sure whether to recommend it or not, but Patrick Troughton plays both the Doctor and a Dictator that looks just like the Doctor, and the Doctor impersonating said Dictator, and is good at all of this.
The Web of Fear - It has a missing episode you can listen to in audio. I've got a soft spot for it, as it's the first time Lethbridge-Stewart shows up, though he wasn't a Brigadier at the time.
The Mind Robber - The Doctor, Jamie, and Zoey are trapped in the Land of Fiction, being controlled by a bad novelist, in a serial that can do things like have Jamie turn to cardboard, his face gets jumbled up, and he gets replaced by a different actor for an episode. I love how silly this one is...
(The War Games is the 2nd doctor's last serial, but I probably shouldn't recommend a 10 episode serial I haven't actually seen...)

3rd Doctor:
Spearhead From Space - First Jon Pertwee serial, and a classic. This is where the aliens from "Rose" come from.
Inferno - Parallel universes, and the Tardis column used while totally removed from the inside of the Tardis. Good stuff. Last episode with Liz as a companion, as she got written out between this serial and the next.
The Curse of Peladon - Yay, Alpha Centauri!
The Three Doctors - Three doctors are better than one...
The Time Warrior - Introduces Sarah Jane Smith, as well as the Sontarans, and a good episode to boot!
The Monster of Peladon - Yay, more Alpha Centauri!

4th Doctor: (I easily could have added more...)
Robot - Not recommending this so much for the serial as the regeneration. The regeneration into Tom Baker was great, the rest of the serial is ok.
Genesis of the Daleks - If you only watch one classic era serial... Origin story of the Daleks. One of the top Dalek stories ever.
Pyramids of Mars - Another top rated Tom Baker episode.
City of Death - This was written by Douglas Adams, and you can tell. Wonderful story, writing, dialogue, and a dozen Mona Lisas, all genuine, but all but one have "This is a forgery" written in marker on the canvas underneath, IIRC...
Logopolis - Last Tom Baker episode.

5th Doctor:
Castravalva - This one is ... interesting.
Earthshock - Great cyberman story. Worth watching for Adric's exit.
The Five Doctors - Obviously the multi-doctor episodes should be watched.
Warriors of the Deep - Pretty bad, and only on here because one person at the BBC hated this episode so much that he eventually cancelled the show...
The Caves of Androzani - Best Fifth Doctor episode, and the last.

6th Doctor:
The Twin Dilemma - This one... everyone hates. Watch this one to understand why people don't like the 6th Doctor. He get's better, though, and is actually good in the audio books.
Vengeance on Varos - This is probably even more relevant these days, with reality tv shows, and Sil was a great villian. Probably my favorite 6th Doctor episode.
Revelation of the Daleks - Good Dalek episode.

7th Doctor:
Remembrance of the Daleks - Again, one of the best classic era Dalek episodes.
The Happiness Patrol - Some people don't like this. It's cheesy, and campy, and makes fun of Margaret Thatcher. I really do enjoy it, though.
The Greatest Show in the Galaxy - Clowns and circuses. Good stuff.
Ghost Light - You may have to watch it a few times, but I like it.
The Curse of Fenric - Great character building for Ace, though that goes for the last episode, too.
Survival - Then everyone turned into kitty cats, and the show was canceled. This was good stuff, though. I like kitty cats.

--Sweetie Belle

I have a feeling your comment is not showing properly :twilightsheepish: Hi, by the way. Don't think I have met ya before :twilightsmile:

HapHazred
Group Admin

Reminder that I do, in fact, still retain the amazing capability to shoot necro'd threads from 2014 back to the grave whence they came.

Well, I think I've finally found a good surname for the (initial) main character of my fantasy story. As usual I didn't want some average-sounding name because I think a good hero name is one that makes an impression and is easy to remember. I also wanted something that sounded "generically Old World", like you can't quite tell her nationality from her name.

So after a lot of searching and consideration, I found the name Corell, and I kinda like the sound of it. Apparently it's been a Swedish surname since like the 18th century but doesn't really sound Swedish. It also shows up in Spain, might possibly come across as vaguely French, and there are some Americans with that name as well. Also kinda sounds like the name of a Star Wars character. So, it seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Thus, my character shall be Ellen Corell, a name that will be used in the first two chapters and then never mentioned again for quite some time.

Welcome to the official Free For All Chat thread, mark 2! The original thread was very successful, indeed, getting to 27 pages. But, at that length, it was about time to restart it to avoid lag and clobbering knighty's servers.

You know, this really takes me back.

On this different forum I used to hang out on, we had a very similar thread to this one, which I believed was called something like "The All Purpose Soap Opera Thread." However, it quickly gained the nickname Soap Operus. The thing about it was that every time someone made an off topic or overly chatty thread on that forum, the mods would merge it into the Soap Opera thread - usually to the cry of "SOAP OPERUS HUNGERS!" - which would cause it to constantly increase in size, even without the considerably rapid discussions that were already going on inside it.

Needless to say, old Soap Operus absorbed so many threads it grew to a ludicrous size and we actually took a weird sense of pride in having the largest thread on the entire site. Of course, eventually this became a problem and the site admin put a hard limit on how long a given thread was allowed to be. But for a while there, we had a thread going that was several thousand pages long.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

It would be fun to just let it grow. I know that one of the main reason knighty banned roleplaying was that there were huge roleplaying threads that were causing knighty problems with their size, though, so I figure we might as well play it safe.

Corell kinda reminds me of Coral, which would also potentially work as a name. :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

It would be fun to just let it grow. I know that one of the main reason knighty banned roleplaying was that there were huge roleplaying threads that were causing knighty problems with their size, though, so I figure we might as well play it safe.

Considering that was literally what happened with Soap Operus, I'd say you made the right call.

Corell kinda reminds me of Coral, which would also potentially work as a name.

Coral has a nice ring to it, but I wanted a real surname that didn't sound distinctly English. I also like that both her names have "ell" in them - I was playing around with the idea of trying to give her an alliterative name, like a stereotypical superhero, and that's pretty close.

(Corell also sounds sorta like Kal-El, which is fitting since she's meant to become sort of a Superman-type character.)

Hi er I'm about to start working on a gallus childhood fic that I got inspired to do reading the fic why don't they want me by rated ponystar but I will be honest I've never written a complex dark or long-term fic before and I would really like some advice with how to go about it

Also hi love your username and your profile pic

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Thanks!

My original avatar was this one by bluedrg19:

Then I went and cleaned it up a bit. Later, I decided to do my own sorta following the lines of the original, and I've redone that one a few times since then, so it's still heavily based on bluedrg19's, but everything actually showing by this point was drawn by me. :unsuresweetie:

The tricky thing is figuring which version is the current one by now...

--Sweetie Belle

Cute but your missing the blush

Don't the derpicus eyes annoy you? I mean, look at that eye on the right. The freaking pupil actually skews towards the right as if it's subject to another, separate gravity field.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Funny thing is that when I went to look for the most recent copy, I found this. I must have been working on redoing the eyes (Though that obviously needs work. Maybe I'll redo them again.) and added the blush back in. I just haven't touched it in a while.

The eyes aren't as noticable in the size the avatar pictures usually are, so I'm not usually looking at the full thing, so hadn't really been thinking about it. Maybe I'll fiddle with it. I'm way overdue to switch it out, anyways. I usually change things up a little after Halloween or Christmas.

--Sweetie Belle

Cool also any tips on recreating a oc or renaming them to fit how they look because the more in-depth I go with my character the more well his name and personality don't fit him anymore when I made them

Well, apparently I'm sick now.

So, gonna have to stay at home and avoid all human contact, because the Prime Minister told me so. Fortunately, that's basically what I do most days anyway.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Obey Prime Minister :derpyderp1:

Hope you get well soon. As fun as being hermit is, being a hermit that coughs is not as cozy.

Main issue is that I'm supposed to go to the hospital to have my eyes checked out on Tuesday, but we have now - somewhat counter-intuitively - been strongly advised to especially avoid hospitals if we seem to have any kind of respiratory infection. So I guess I need to call them up tomorrow and see if I can reschedule.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Is it a routine check up or is something wrong with your eyes? Guess either way you'll have to wait, we all must do our part in the war against CORVID 19...at least that's the impression I am getting from my news. It's like being in war all over again.

Is it a routine check up or is something wrong with your eyes?

Routine check due to type 2 diabetes. Last time I had my blood sugar looked at it wasn't particularly high, though, and I haven't experienced any noticeable issues with my vision. So, I assume it can wait a few weeks or months if necessary. It's not like I'm going to suddenly go blind.

Guess either way you'll have to wait, we all must do our part in the war against CORVID 19...at least that's the impression I am getting from my news. It's like being in war all over again.

Basically, it's kinda serious, but not in the way many people seem to think it is. Like, it's not actually that dangerous unless you are old, suffer from respiratory problems or have compromised immune system. We're not talking Black Death 2: Electric Boogaloo here, with piles of dead people in the streets or whatever.

As far as I can tell, the real issue is how quickly this thing is spreading. If a ton of people get sick all at once, it will vastly exceed the capacity of our healthcare system to deal with, have a negative effect on the economy, etc. Over here in Sweden, the current plan is to try to slow it down - we're basically assuming that a lot of people will get sick no matter what, but if we can restrict it to the point where fewer people get infected over a longer period of time we may be able to keep it manageable.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Hopefully you'll get ieye check over soon. Keep on fighting!

And yeah I get the nature of the current pandemic. I just couldn't help but notice how the atmosphere feels.

I keep hearing accounts of people hoarding food and stuff like all of human society is about to fall apart. That's probably not a good approach seeing as the main theme of this particular epidemic will apparently be large-scale resource management.

Funny how the whole "hoarding food/supplies/facemasks/toilet paper" thing (why toilet paper?) is actually counter-productive to stopping or slowing the spread of COVID-19. By buying up a bunch of supplies, people make the items scarce for medical professionals or infected individuals that actually need it, and make everything more difficult.

'Course, making jokes about the outbreak doesn't help either.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Of all the hoarding things I find toilet paper hoarding to be strangest. Like, I can get food and medicine but toilet paper? How long do they think this will last?

Reminds me of the whole 2012 apocalypse prediction craze, when weirdos thought that the end of the Mayan calendar meant the end of the world.

Fun fact: even predicting to 2012 was pretty dang impressive for a pre-computer society. They simply stopped the calendars there because their current tools and knowledge wouldn't extend further, or at least from what I've seen.

The universe and time is infinite, stone is not. At some point calendars will stop being made. It's not a prediction for the end of days.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask: I keep seeing people refer to this disease as "coronavirus." Not the coronavirus, just coronavirus, like it's a name.

As in: "We need to talk about coronavirus." Or: "I'm afraid of catching coronavirus."

Is this actually proper English? Because it seems wrong to me.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Yeah that was fun time too. Plenty of disappointed people. And unamused Mayans.

No clue. But well, do you say "I have a flu" or "I have the flu". Personally I find "the" to be weird in this case. I don't really get articles.

Also Covid-19 is a corona virus, there are others like SARS etc. So that might also be why it isn't "the Corona".

Referring to as just "coronavirus" is technically correct, from what I know. But "the coronavirus" would likely fit better with the sentence.

The technical name would be "novel coronavirus" or "COVID-19", but most people use "coronavirus" because it's simplest. Or, apparently it is; personally I think COVID-19 would be easier to use, but whatever.

No clue. But well, do you say "I have a flu" or "I have the flu". Personally I find "the" to be weird in this case, though "a" might be needed instead of nothing. I don't really get articles.

I believe it's "a cold" and "the flu," specifically. Interestingly, this convention holds true in Swedish as well. Not sure why this is so. (Though, there are technically like 200 variations of the common cold, which is part of why we can't figure out a cure of it.)

Also Corvid-19 is a corona virus, there are others like SARS etc.

Oh, I know. I kinda don't like how people refer to it as the coronavirus like there's only one of them, but wish everyone would at least use the definitive article.

(By the way, it's Covid-19. Though, "Corvid-19" does make it sound like we're dealing with some type of genetically engineered species of crow, which would at least be more awesome that what is really going on.)

So that might also be why it isn't "the Corona".

You know, I wouldn't mind if they just called it Corona. That's a decent enough name for a disease. But I'm pretty sure "virus" isn't an uncountable noun, so I don't get why people are using it as one in this particular case. You're either talking about a specific virus, or viruses in general.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7175792 I think they're all correct? To refer to it as coronavirus, without 'the', means you're referring to coronaviruses in general. I mean, technically technically, it's supposed to be coronaviri (? I don't know my latin) or coronaviruses, but it's not unheard of for people to use a words like that, though I confess it sounds a bit weird to me.

Let's talk about coronavirus.

In the same way as people say 'lets talk about cancer', not 'let's talk about cancers'. Bit of a quirk, though, and possibly regional.

If you say 'let's talk about the coronavirus', that implies you're referring to the specific coronavirus being discussed, though knowing which coronavirus you're referring to will have to be gleaned from context.

Let's talk about the coronavirus.

And if you refer to its name, Covid-19, then that's obvious. We know which coronavirus we're talking about.

Let's talk about Covid-19.

The reason it can't (or rather, shouldn't) be simply called 'Corona' is because the corona is a feature on the surface of the virus. It looks kind of like a crown, hence the name, and is common in a lot of similar-looking virus types. Apparently a lot of effort went into naming it this time around. Other names have been criticized for being either too forgettable, or misleading.

If I remember correctly, Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cover different afflictions, from flu and common cold, all the way to SARS and CORVID-19. The one we call now coronavirus is simply the latest strain, CORVID-19, which has been identified to be able to jump to humans. I think only 3-4 viruses of that family can do that kind of jump, but don't quote me on that.

So yeah, we're calling it coronavirus and we all know what we mean, but it's pretty much like saying The Ship and everyone understanding that you refer to the Titanic, or something.

In the same way as people say 'lets talk about cancer', not 'let's talk about cancers'. Bit of a quirk, though, and possibly regional.

I assume this is because cancer is considered both the name of the disease (like pneumonia and influenza) as well as the type of disease.

It's just, if the way people are referring to this virus is grammatically correct, then by extension wouldn't the phrase: "I have caught virus" also be correct? Because that sounds like a line from a stereotypical Russian character, that has been deliberately arranged to be wrong.

If you say 'let's talk about the coronavirus', that implies you're referring to the specific coronavirus being discussed, though knowing which coronavirus you're referring to will have to be gleaned from context.

Well, yes. That's precisely what everyone is doing, I guess is my point.

The reason it can't (or rather, shouldn't) be simply called 'Corona' is because the corona is a feature on the surface of the virus. It looks kind of like a crown, hence the name, and is common in a lot of similar-looking virus types. Apparently a lot of effort went into naming it this time around. Other names have been criticized for being either too forgettable, or misleading.

Sure, I just meant that Corona would make sense as a colloquial name - something people in general take to calling it because it sounds good. I dunno, maybe that's just the writer in me wanting everything to have aesthetically pleasing naming conventions.

But, let's face it: Covid-19 may be the official name but this whole affair is still going to go down in history as "the coronavirus epidemic." Because that's how language works.

So yeah, we're calling it coronavirus and we all know what we mean, but it's pretty much like saying The Ship and everyone understanding that you refer to the Titanic, or something.

No, I mean, in this case people aren't saying "the ship", in reference to Titanic. They're just saying "ship."

Like: "On April 14, 1912, ship struck an iceberg and sank. The captain, Edward Smith, went down with ship."

That's the part that puzzles me. Why is it "coronavirus" and not "the coronavirus"?

HapHazred
Group Admin

7175829 More like there are types of cancer. Cancer refers to the term 'cancerous', as in growth. It's descriptive and refers to lots of different types of cancerous growths (and presumably some other things I'm unaware of), similarly to the term coronavirus, incidentally (which is also descriptive and refers to lots of other types of coronavirus). If there's a grammar reason behind it all, I don't know it (I am but a humble scienceboi) but basically, there is precedent, and using the term 'coronavirus' in that way strikes me as no less correct (or rather, no more wrong) as using the term cancer in the same way.

And yeah, welcome to the english language, pal. Enjoy your stay, try not to bump your head on the inconsistencies we keep over there, and so on.

QUESTION is there anyplace where you can post ideas for a fic to have written because you are terrible at writing but have amazing ideas because that is me to a tea like I can have amazing ideas but suck at the execution of said docs and often need help to make them work for more then my mind plus like whenever I proofread and give feedback half the time it turns a small idea huge and helps a author out alot/they bounce ideas of me and I'm able to help them out of a corner which leads to a story dead end and just help refine bits

Anyone know any good fic readings of sad romance?

I have a question about the group and it's policies but duct wanna spam with another thread since the question I have relates to thread spam in the first place. When people make threads to promote themselves, why did this group lock the thread instead of deleting it? This, in my mind, doesn't discourage people from making these threads. If I were to make a thread promoting my new fic, I say whatever I want to say to get people to read it, I link it and all that, and then three thread gets locked, my self promotion is still there. It's like if I put up a sign advertising my business in someone's yard and instead of taking the sign down they just told my I shouldn't have done that, wet can't talk about the sign, but they're gonna leave it up for all to see. It would seem to me that promptly deleting threads and telling people in DMs not to do that would be more effective.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7182411 I leave the threads up for about 10-20 minutes before I delete them (depending on how busy I am at the time; if I need to leave soon after I won't wait, but if I get taken by surprise then it might be longer), unless it's linking to M-rated content directly in which case I don't bother waiting. I leave it up for that time so that then there's a chance that the poster will see what has happened and then not post it again. If they don't see why it's gone, they might post again thinking that it was an error (and whilst it's not a big deal to lock and delete it again, it is a little frustrating, both for myself and also no doubt the poster, who often is simply posting out of error, not malicious intent).

In general it's left to personal discretion, though. Other admins are uncomfortable with thread deletion, and I don't blame them. In other circumstances, I also don't delete threads outside of self-promotion, spoilers (which aren't exactly a concern any more), and linking to m-rated content, since it's much, much easier to go back and assess what has happened if we need to if the thread still exists.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 729