The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,386 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I was just thinking about what Princess Twilight's reign over Equestria would be like, when I realised her historical period, under regular naming conventions, would be called the Twilight Era, which doesn't really bode well for her reign.

Anyway, what are your ideas of how Equestria would change with Twilight in charge?

I, for one, would imagine the flag might change. It always seems like a Royal Banner, completely unrepresentative of Equestria itself, only its rulers. And now that Celestia and Luna are no longer on the throne, have no role in raising the sun or the moon, it seems weird they'd still be on it.

In our world, King Charles II established The Royal Society of London for the Improving Natural Knowledge. Even though there are many royal societies, it is the only one that is only ever referred to as The Royal Society. I'd imagine Twilight, in addition to her school of friendship, would establish a Royal Society for the Furthering of Friendship. It'd differ from her school in that it focuses on research instead of teaching, and would most likely be based out of the Castle of Friendship (presuming Twilight isn't using it as a vacation home).

So, to reiterate, do you have any ideas of your own you'd like to share?

1: Technological Advancements.
Considering the fact that Twilight still has access to the mirror portal, I think it would be interesting to see her working with Sunset to integrate modern technology into Equestria, possibly creating unique devices that utilize both magic and Technology.

2: More Friendship Schools.
With the success of the School Of Friendship, I think it would be interesting for her to actually try opening up similar schools in different areas in Equestria, and unlike the stunt the Flim Flam Brothers pulled, these schools would be set up under her watchful eye and have her check on them on multiple occasions to make sure they're up to code.

Considering the fact that in the epilogue we've seen various other species now residing in Canterlot, I think this would be the next logical step.

3: The Magic Vault.
With all the dangerous magical artifacts that they've encountered over the course of their adventures, I think it would make sense for Twilight at the very least have a special vault set up for storing these devices and making sure they don't end up in the wrong hands. Kind of like Warehouse 13 (does anyone remember that show?).

Maybe a movement that do not want Twilight's reign over them

I never watched it, but I do remember Warehouse 13 being heavily advertised and am aware there was a crossover with Eureka. I do, however, watch the similarly themed The Librarians. That sounds like something Twilight would do, but given there's a restricted section in the Royal Canterlot Library, I have a feeling Celestia must have already set up something similar.

I imagine that might happen too. Do you think it would be supportive of a return to Celestia/Luna or would they be a republican movement?

I think they will be a republican movement. I imagined a dark order that want to unit the lands by order to insure ponies like Cozy glow and Nightmare moon will be destroyed.

I am actually starting to work on something like that

Hmm... well, a lot of the same things that would probably happened of she hadn't taken over, some a bit slower because she's busier, some maybe faster because she doesn't have to clear it with anypony.

This probably says out the key areas - Princess of Friendship is a job for life, and I also see her as a moderniser. In fact,, I could see her pulling an "Applejack's Day Off" on all of Equestria, to the point where she needs her friends to remind her to take things more slowly unless she wants to unsettle ponies. (If she didn't have good advisors like that... well, it's interesting that this thread was posted so close to one on "Stalinisation of Equestria".)

Her tech strategies will also be inherently shaped her her access to "advanced previews" from another world - as well as knowledge of all their mistakes. I can totally see a top-secret "Project Looking Glass" with the job of analyzing human technology, guiding Equestrian scientists towards (or sometimes, away from) it, and developing strategies to prevent or mitigate resultant environmental or social damage.

One thing that's canon, of course, is a strengthening of relationships with other races, within Equestria and out - cows may finally get full citizenship, for instance. A possible result of this is Equestria moving from a position of international neutrality to a more interventionist one, like America in the 20th century. She might even establish formal diplomacy through the mirror, though that might endanger Looking Glass.

And finally, I can see her returning to the mystery of alicorns, perhaps in search for a way to not lose her friends so soon. Perhaps nothing will come of it, or perhaps in a century all ponies will be alicorns - I suspect a truth in the middle, with a few becoming a few dozen,

And that might make the age a brief one, for eventually the Crown will no longer be able to absorb them all - a new system of government will be needed. DOn't worry though - even if she wasn't Princess for more than a mortal lifetime or so, she still accomplished a great deal. And I'm sure she'll do more in her several terms as President (if alicorns are allowed to stand).

Random fact: I literally just wrote a research essay on King Charles II. Continue on lol...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8