The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,384 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Hey. This is Zephyr Spark. I wrote a story in the play format for an outside project. The play utilizes two characters from the MLP: FIM universe, so I'm positive it can fit into this website. Only problem is I don't know if the play format is acceptable for this fanfiction site. It is far different from a typical story in both structure and format.

I'm worried it might break the publishing Guideline not to write like "TWILIGHT: I sure love books!" because playwriting basically uses this kind of format:

TWILIGHT

I sure love books!

Also, I have no idea how well the play format would translate to Fimfiction's limitations. What are your thoughts?

Playwrite is still a form of script, so technically still not allowed.

Generally Fimfiction is only meant for written literature. So things you'd seen in hard-cover or soft-cover, published books.

Only exception I'd make are poems.

Now can you explain that in a way Twilight understands? :twilightsmile:

Buuuuuhk boouk bick buuk bwk. Buk.

Yeah, you’d need to adapt it to a prose format by adding regular said/action tags and narration and the like. If you don’t feel like doing that, you can still always advertise it to your followers as a blog post with a link to wherever you have it.

A bit pedantic of me perhaps, but while you’re right that scrips of any kind aren’t allowed, plays are also published as books :twilightblush:

Plays and drama are considered written literature, though. The first place people usually encounter Shakespeare*, Ibsen, and Tennesee Williams is usually in a book.

Pedantics aside, Sollace is still right. The script/play format still isn't allowed on FimFic. We deal in the novel/novella/short story format, with an epic or narrative poem here and there.

*As in the work itself, not the thousands of references found in every form of media

It may be technically considered written literature, but by this rule it's not allow on the site.

Stories written in chat or script format. This includes stories in which dialogue is indicated like this: “TWILIGHT: I sure do love books!”

True, and I was aware of that when writing my comment. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is one example that came to mind.

Wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it, because I have no reference point on how popular those sorts of stories are if at all. Also, by the same pedantic rules: Maps and dictionaries tend to be published in books as well.

The Guinness Book of World Records is also worth mentioning as it's essentially the Buzzfeed of the pre-social-media era. :moustache::facehoof:

No. If you try to publish it and read the terms and conditions, it will say so.

I have a few stories that jump to different perspectives as a primary theme, and it's never been flagged. I think specifically the "script" format is what's not allowed. Ask an admin or moderator to be sure.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11