The Writers' Group 9,290 members · 56,365 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

The scene I am thinking of writing has a creature being physical constructed in real time. Starting with bones, followed by muscles, flesh and fur.

There is no blood in the scene and the character isn't in any pain. Would this still count as gore?

You're building something. That's not gore. I wouldn't worry about it at all, especially if the story is already "Teen" or "Mature". Even then I wouldn't worry.

6626249 Yeah, I didn't think it would be an issue, but as they always say, "it is better to be safe than sorry.":pinkiesmile:

Gore is different from violence, in that Gore is graphic descriptions of blood an viscera. I don't think building a creature counts, so long as you don't go into a three paragraph discussion on it's vital organs or anything...

Meh. Even then it's nothing. Nothing profane about painting the picture. Maybe watch the "making a cyborg" portion of Ghost in the Shell. Always a good piece of animation for inspiration.

I'd say a definite "No" on that.

If you were going to have blood and pain in there, I might agree that it is approaching gore. A clean and painless construction on the other hoof is not gore, even if there are some squiggly bits.

The chapter about the God of Evolution in Terry Pratchett's "The Last Continent" might be some inspiration. Where the god is in the process of assembling an elephant like it was a kit-car. He later slices the beak of a bird, only to replace it with a nearly identical one.

I would't count it. For me, the gore tag implies horror, as in the writer is attempting to use description of physical trauma to elicit shock in the reader. That doesn't sound like what you're going for in your work here.

It really depends how in-depth you go. Gore is something that changes based on how far you describe it. You could have an E-rated war story where ponies die. Or, something as little as a papercut can be shaped into an M-rated gore story. Personally, I would write the scene, then ask one of the site’s story approvers. They’re all super helpful, and then you would know for certain.

JackRipper

It needs no ‘gore’ tag, though I’d still find it questionable in an E-rated story if I saw it.

You recreating the Fifth Element reconstruction scene? :moustache:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10