The Writers' Group 9,281 members · 56,325 stories
Comments ( 42 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 42

I've been making plans for a story to write, that's a bit of a tribute to works like Frankenstein and Edward Scissorhands - a story of a pony created through alchemy and weird science.

While I have the character and name of this Frankenstein's creature of a pony figured out, one thing I've been stumped on is coming up with a decent name for his creator.

I have a very specific influence in mind for this mad scientist character... that of the grandfatherly tinkerer played by horror-movie legend Vincent Price, in his final movie role in Edward Scissorhands. One of my favorite scenes from that movie is the flashback to when the old inventor gets the idea to make a thinking, feeling robot...

But, for the life of me, I can't figure out what name I want to use for this character as a pony.

I've kicked around using "Tinker" in the name. But that's about it.

I'd really appreciate some input on coming up with a good name for a grandfatherly old mad scientist, if anyone has some good suggestions. ^_^

Tinker Taylor (Soldier Spy)?

Tinker Toys?

Oh, I thought this would be a human scientist, and I was like, why not use one of the most fucked up "scientists" IRL, Mengele. Seriously, this dude was fucked even by Nazi standards

I'm offering Essence Maker and Building Growth as name suggestions. :pinkiehappy: Love the idea by the way, looking forward to reading it.

Tinker Taylor (Soldier Spy)?

XD I did in fact think of that reference earlier!

"Doctor Tinker Tailor." Maybe.

What about Clockwork?

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad you like the idea!

Nah, this is for a PONY mad scientist. And one about as far removed from Mengele as you could get.

Changed the title of the post a bit to reflect that I'm looking for a pony name and not a human one.

I'm just chipping in to sat that Tinker Taylor is an absolutely amazing name...

I'm terrible with names. :rainbowwild: The first thing that popped into my head was Victor Von Pone...

"Victor von Pone" :rainbowlaugh: Well, maybe not for this story idea, but if I ever write a story about Spike and his superhero comic-reading, I know I'll definitely have to use it there! XD

Hah! :pinkiehappy: Well, at least my ridiculous reference was caught. :derpytongue2:

my pleasure and your welcome. :twilightsmile:

That'd be perfect for a pony super villain. :rainbowlaugh:

Hmm. Maybe. Something like that could work.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, it is based off Victor Von Doom -- aka Dr. Doom... :derpytongue2:

Victor's Doom-ED to fail. :rainbowwild:

'Broken Chemistry' but his formal name would be 'Dr. Chemistry' so ponies wouldn't distinguish that he's bad/a mad scientist?
'Molded Mind'
'Quick Shock'
I personally don't know, these were just random names I ended up in my mind. I don't think these would be taken into consideration but at least I tried.
-Mr.User

I will never stop my Pun-ny Puns! All will know the might of Pun-ting puns at people! :pinkiecrazy:

I'm sorry, the correct response was to post this:

Hey, I appreciate that you tried. Thanks for the suggestions. ^_^

That's what I'm tolkien about! :raritystarry:

I'm a bit soft for Atom Smash as a scientisty pony name :scootangel: or just Tinker.

Copper Coil/The Conductor
Whitemane/cottontail
Brightlight/ Big Idea /Pennydropp
Smoking Beaker/Fumehood
Big Red Button
Lightning Jar/Lightning Catcher
Strange Glow/Radium Rod

Are a few ideas if you want something a bit more friendly and whimsical. If you want to go towards the macabre it'll be easy.

Ooh, thank you for all those suggestions! Those are good ones!

Doctor Price is a fair pun. Reasonable Price makes a good doctor name.

"Are your prices reasonable?"

"I'm very reasonable. Reasonable is actually my name. And Price is also my name."

"Your name is Price Reasonable?"

"Actually, Reasonable Price. My father ran a dry-goods store, and after thirty-six hours of labor, he was a little delusional. It runs in our family."

I'm a fan of the wild-haired mad scientist trope, so why not go a little less on the nose with the name and call him Dr. Wild Mane?

:rainbowlaugh: Man, that's a good skit. Now I'm really tempted to use that.

Well, you could name him after what usually follows mad scientists, the things they end up having.

Dr. Brow, for example. Singed Eyebrow. Or Dr. Tinnitus, Ear Ringer, Broken Beaker, Smokey Bottle.

If he'll be creating life, references to clay (because the monster was named 'Adam' after the Biblical one), lightning, or Frankenstein are appropriate, too.

If he'll be creating life, references to clay (because the monster was named 'Adam' after the Biblical one), lightning, or Frankenstein are appropriate, too.

Good points. I've tried to think of something evocative of the Frankenstein story with the name, beyond just adding "stein" to the end of his name.

You could take the first syllable instead: Frock'n Something.

A frock is a type of clothing, it's got several definitions on wikipedia, but I'm sure you can squeeze in a lab coat somewhere. The Something in the name can be anything, really; give the guy a random as bales cutie mark to match. Frock'n Stapler, Frock'n Stable, Frok'n Steel... or if you want to reference the iconic experiments with electrical current on frog's bodies: Froggenshock. Or Froggenstone. Froggenstiltskin? A combination like that might be suited for your purposes.

That's a good suggestion as well.

XD I just thought of "Doctor Frock'n Shock."

Sounds good. Remember the 'von' or 'van' could be added as a sign of nobility, too. I don't think it's the case with the original Frankenstein, but parodies can add it for the added zest :raritywink:

Could also make him a detergent seller, or a neat freak... Doctor Frock'n Stains. Or Stained Frock, you get the idea.

Frock'n Stains :rainbowlaugh: Now you got me thinking of Young Frankenstein.

"It's Fronkensteen." XD

No worries, I love coming up with names.:pinkiesmile:

If he's a tinker, constantly surrounding himself with clever little devices which may or may not be useful...

...you could call him Doktor Hammacher-Schlemmer

Or if that's not pone enough, how about "Clydesdale Crashcroup?"

Or if that's too obscure, how about "Clydesdale Crashcroup?"

I understood that reference. XD

6619155 Viscous Vial :pinkiesmile:

"Tinker Tin". Hehe, that's another good one. ^_^

HapHazred
Group Admin

6619155 Vector Velocity is a favourite of mine, perfect for anyone dealing with mechanics or dynamics.

Blue Sky is a bit of a subtle one. I imagine that'd be perfect for a pegasus scientist, but Blue Sky research is another meaning of the term, weather aside, and could be an interesting bait-and-switch to use.

Myelin Muddle is a fun one. Myelination occurs along nerves that makes them work over longer distances. Probably an interesting name for a scientist working in brains. Same for Prof. Axonoff, but that one also comes with a funny accent and puns.

Dr. Incident is a nice one in my opinion. Also mechanics-y, but his full name could be Incident Angle, but obviously Dr. Incident has a wacky double meaning to it as well.

Cracked Flask?
Bent Fabric? (No, wait, that's a musician. Crap!)
Doctor Frank-n-poner?:trollestia:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 42