The Writers' Group 9,285 members · 56,344 stories
Comments ( 124 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 124

I'm sorry I haven't fixed that yet, but I've been a bit busy with work. I'll try to look at it towards the weekend. :twistnerd: maybe implement some features regarding automatic punctuation fixes.
I'm glad the already working features are appreciated, though :twilightsmile:

Impressive! I've been getting a whole lot of {/b} text text text{b} or other repeated anti-formatting nonsense for a while now. Installed the script and it works just fine.

My google doc import button does not work after downloading the add-ons. It worked before I got the app. Don't know why it stopped.

Edit: Uninstalled it and now the button is working again. Weird.

I’m sure you’ve realized this by now (or soon would realize on your own, if you haven’t checked the site since the update) but the support for the script seems to be dead at the moment. It seems that even Fimfiction’s native Google Doc importer is gone now. Any plans for this going forward? Not trying to rush you or anything (I’m not even sure what’s salvageable, since my coding skills are non-existant and idk what the update changed on a technical level, so I can absolutely understand taking your time with it if you are planning on continuing to support the script). I just figured I’d check in with how things are looking on your end :twilightsmile:

Thanks for the reminder! I’ve been busy with work, so feature updates are slow, I know. But I want to at least keep the importer working and bug-free. It’s only natural that it broke after a big site update (since stuff in the html likely moved around). I’ll look at it when I get home.

Also, since I don’t regularly get to use the importer, I might not notice when it breaks. If it does break, everyone is welcome to leave me a message or a reply in this thread, or make a ticket over at GitHub, so I get a notification and can fix it.

My understanding of the official word is that the native importer has been replaced by a brand new and rewritten functionality, which you use by selecting the entire content of your gdoc and moving it into Fimfiction with ordinary ctrl-C + ctrl-V.

Just did a check on what preserved via the copy-paste method 5977266 mentioned.

The following does get preserved:
Italics, underline, bold, centered text, links, images, strikethrough, superscript, subscript

The following does not:
Sized text, colored text (I’ve never checked to see if that was preserved by the Better Document Importer though)

Additionally, paragraph spacing and indentation are now set by the reader only, making it irrelevant whether that gets preserved during copy-pasting. Authors no longer have any control over the visual look of their text in this regard (:ajbemused:)

Since this copy-paste functionality works anywhere on the site, the import Gdoc on blog posts is no longer as necessary. So as I see it, the benefits of the doc importer would be: the text size (and color if that was supported before), not requiring someone actually go to Gdocs to open a doc for importing, and the quick import feature for chapters/blogs that have previously had a document imported.

Up to you if you think these pros are worth the effort, TigeR. While I’d miss that quick reupload, I can certainly understand and respect your decision either way.

I published a new version, which should be compatible with the new site. I hopefully caught everything

I added support for the new formatting options sub- and superscript and right alignment, but dropped paragraph spacing and indentation. Size and color were supported before (hm, I should've tested if these still work... :unsuresweetie:)

It might be worthwhile to drop my formatter entirely and piggy-back off the copy-paste-code on the long run, if it works reasonably enough :rainbowderp:

Seems to be working again. I haven't done any exhaustive tests on my end, but the chapter I imported carried over without issue. And your script does actually still seem to be working better than the official method, at least for me. When I did the official copy-paste method on the chapter, it wound up turning all paragraphs into simple line breaks for some reason, meaning that no matter what I did with the indentation/double space setting, it wouldn't show either, making the chapter essentially unreadable. This will probably get fixed at some point, but for the moment, that's another major plus your script has over the site's method :yay:

knighty
Site Owner

Got an example gdoc I can see?

Absolutely. This is the chapter I was trying to copy over. I suspect it might be because the gdoc uses single line paragraph spacing and indentations set by the ruler in gdocs (as opposed to hitting tab at every paragraph), but I'm not knowledgeable enough with code to say that with confidence.

This is what I'm getting after copy-pasting. Note that I have paragraphs set to both double spaced and indented. Also visible is the fact that the text size on the chapter header isn't preserved by copy-pasting. This doesn't really matter to me personally as that's the only place I ever mess with text size, so that's a simple fix, but I imagine it being a pain if someone were to do more with various text sizes in their writing.

(Incidentally, I'm by no means complaining about anything here. I'm generally very happy with the site update)

knighty
Site Owner

Ok yeah I'm just ignoring text-indent entirely. That's just me being dumb, easy enough fix though. Thanks.

edit: Also I don't try to bring across size at all because it's too prone to issues. I'd have to have some kind of heuristic to assume a base body size and such, it's just not really sane to bother. Same issue with colour.

Can I get a link to this new version?

Nevermind it auto update mine.

While it has it's issues, good on you for adding the copy paste functionality. Could prove useful if gdocs importer messes up formatting. It's always good to have multiple options!

Comment posted by Recon777 deleted Oct 29th, 2017

I've used this tool before, but now it's not working. When I click on Settings on fimfiction, there is no "Better Importer Settings" section. Followed the instructions same as last time. Any ideas on how I can get this working? I've got no GDocs import button at all now, which is problematic as I won't be able to import new chapters till I can figure this out.

[edit] Today there's an Import button when I click Edit on a chapter. But the settings section still has no configurations for this script. With luck, this won't matter. But if anyone knows what's up, let me know.

The settings thing doesn't matter anymore, since the only settings were for paragraph spacing and indentation. Ever since the last site update, Fimfiction doesn't let authors control that aspect of their stories, instead allowing readers to choose how paragraphs are spaced and indented.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 124