The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,386 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

In the World of My Little Pony:FiM, Cutie Marks appear on a pony's flanks (or hind quarters) when they have discovered their special talent. This was spotlighted by Cherilee and Twist in Call of the Cutie. It also brought in some bullying in the form of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, and the beginning for three certain fillies; Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, known collectively as the Cutie Mark Crusaders to test out everything with some hilarious results.

Most Pegasi have weather related names and Cutie Marks. Rainbow Dash, for example, loves to show off her fast-flying moves and her Sonic Rain Boom. An exception would be Fluttershy, who prefers to be near the ground and interact with her animal friends. Her Cutie Mark represents her love of animals and is the animal caretaker in Ponyville.

Unicorns like Twilight Sparkle and Rarity have telekinesis, levitation, and various spells. In Boast Busters, for example, Spike comments Twilight has mastered at least 25 different spells (and counting). Of course, this is before she ascended to Alicornhood. Rarity has a gem-finding spell to help her detect gems to dig up for accenting her dresses for her clients, like Sapphire Shores or Fleur De Lis. Twilight was able to copy Rarity's spell. Most Unicorns have some sort of magical affinity (Trixie loves to use her magic for her travelling magic show).

Finally, the hard-working Earth Ponies like Pinkie Pie and Applejack help provide delicious (and nutritious) foods for the ponies to buy at the market area. Sugar Cube Corner's proprietors are Mr. Carrot Cake and his wife, Mrs. Cup Cake and employ Pinkie Pie as a baker and a foal-sitter for their children, Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake.

It is a huge deal for young ponies to earn their Cutie marks. In so doing, the parents will have a cutecenara to celebrate, usually hosted at Sugar Cube Corner!

So, Earth Ponies would have Cutie Marks attributed to food service or food products (Apple clan, Carrot Top/Golden Harvest, etc), the pegasi are in charge of the weather, and the Unicorns use their horns to perform feats of magic that can benefit all of Pony kind.

Now, the Princesses:

Celestia raises the sun,, and her sister, Luna, raises the moon as indicated by their Cutie Marks. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, or Princess Cadence has the crystal heart as her Cutie Mark. So, it is her destiny to rule the Crystal Empire along her husband, Prince Shining Armor (Twilight Sparkle's BBBFF).

Zecora : Her cutie mark is a sun, but is a representative of her ancient connection to her homeland (possibly an area that resembles the African Savannah?

What do you think of the Cutie Marks concept in MLP?

HapHazred
Group Admin

I'm actually really impressed by it. I have a friend who thinks it's tantamount to slavery and removal of all choice, but I disagree.

It's more like representing who you become at the end of your adolescence. Like, at the end of my adolescence, I decided that I was going to try to become an engineer, and learned more or less who I am. I feel they represent that sort of feeling: that comfortable 'I know who I am' sort of feeling.

It's for this reason that I never really thought cutie marks chose ponies, but rather ponies chose their cutie marks: something they liked and knew they wanted to do with their lives.

Cutie Marks represent something about yourself that you are both very skilled at and really like to do. I think they're a great concept.

It's not a Destiny Mark - it doesn't determine what you're going to do. It shows off what you want to do.

Here is a great video to watch which I think explains cutie marks very well and has evidence from the show.

Hope this helps!
~ Estrella Scrolls

It's not a Destiny Mark - it doesn't determine what you're going to do.

Well, except for this.

See, I would point out that it's possible that Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash fall into what I feel is the same trap that many fans do. Since the mark so closely represents the character, many people switch it around and assume that the mark actually determines the character when it's the character determining the cutie mark. The characters look at their cutie mark, see that it's something, and then assume that they're supposed to act out the cutie mark because they've never had to question whether it accurately represented them.

Do you remember the scene where Twilight explained (and showed) Applebloom that you can't magic up a genuine cutie mark? How does that factor into Starswirl's spell?

If you can actually magic up a genuine cutie mark, then the sequence from Twilight's ascension shows that cutie marks are in fact destiny marks.
If you cannot magic up a genuine cutie mark, then the sequence shows ponies mistakenly believing their (false) cutie mark is telling them they're good at and enjoy something they actually aren't, but they go along with it anyways because they don't yet know any better.

And since all the ponies with swapped cutie marks sucked at what their cutie marks were telling them, I'm taking that at meaning Twilight didn't truly swap their cutie marks - IE, their marks were still false - their real ones were still there but hidden.

3989974 It shows what you're good at. One important distinction is that many people think that the cutie marks determine what a pony is good at, when in fact it's the opposite; the pony and what they're good at determines the cutie mark. Everyone, fictional or nonfictional, has something they are good at, the ponies just get a visual representation when they figure it out.

Earth Ponies would have Cutie Marks attributed to food service or food products

Really?

See, I would point out that it's possible that Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash fall into what I feel is the same trap that many fans do. Since the mark so closely represents the character, many people switch it around and assume that the mark actually determines the character when it's the character determining the cutie mark. The characters look at their cutie mark, see that it's something, and then assume that they're supposed to act out the cutie mark because they've never had to question whether it accurately represented them.

I quite agree; it's just that the song does provide some evidence.
One of the big problems is that the Mane 6 (minus Twilight) swapped out the whole role, rather than what the cutie mark indicated.
Example: Rarity's cutie-mark is for finding rare things, not dress-making or fashion -- yet Applejack went to dressmaking rather than something that illustrated the cutie-mark at all.

If you can actually magic up a genuine cutie mark, then the sequence from Twilight's ascension shows that cutie marks are in fact destiny marks. If you cannot magic up a genuine cutie mark, then the sequence shows ponies mistakenly believing their (false) cutie mark is telling them they're good at and enjoy something they actually aren't, but they go along with it anyways because they don't yet know any better.

Well, no; that only works if magic can interact-with/alter destiny. But we haven't really been given much in the way of "destiny" as a solid concept in MLP -- about the closest I can think of (aside from the song) is the Nightmare-Moon prophecy.

3989997 Looks like the season 5 teaser will show the Mane 6 and spike going to some place where the ponies have equal signs for a Cutie Mark. Rarity and Rainbow Dash end up getting their marks switched for an equal sign. We will have to see what happens next.

HapHazred
Group Admin

3990260 Sounds to me like they're going to lose what makes them special. But hey, that's just idle speculation.

3990173 Hmm, seems these examples of earth Ponies with non-food Cutie marks would represent their jobs.

Photo Finish would have a camera Cutie Mark, because she loves to take photos. She is seen in the theme song taking a photo of the CMC, Zecora, the Mane 6, Spike, and Snips and Snails, Mr. and Mrs. Cake and the Cake twins. Then Spike sends the letter to Princess Celestia and Luna.

Well, no; that only works if magic can interact-with/alter destiny. But we haven't really been given much in the way of "destiny" as a solid concept in MLP -- about the closest I can think of (aside from the song) is the Nightmare-Moon prophecy.

I made two points in there which are mutually exclusive. Which one are you disagreeing with when you say "well, no"? It looks like you're saying that Twilight was right earlier in the series and magic cannot affect a pony's true cutie mark.

If magic cannot affect a pony's true cutie mark, then Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were trying to act out false cutie marks because they didn't know any better. (The fact that they sucked at their chosen cute marks supports this.) Which supports my initial point that it's the pony who determines the cutie mark, not the cutie mark that determines the pony.

3989974 Cuties marks tend to have a bit of deeper meaning than just "pony is good at this thing."

For instance, Rarity's cutie mark isn't really about finding gems. It's about bringing out hidden inner beauty to the surface.

Applejack's cutie mark is about Apples only in the sense that it's about her family. She doesn't get it when she realizes how much she loves farming. She gets it when she realizes how much she misses her family and how central they are to her life.

Although she does freaking love apples, don't get me wrong.

Etc.

Very simply put: The cutie mark is the symbolic representation of the pony's special talent. The special talent can be defined as "the thing in life that makes the pony happy."

It's a misconception that this translates directly into a life-defining career choice. That can be the case, because obviously many ponies chose professions that are in line with their talent. But many ponies have jobs that aren't directly connected to their talent. Rarity, for example, decided on her career well before she earned her cutie mark. If it literally represented her profession, she would be a jewel miner, not a dressmaker. (Or she would have a dressmaking cutie mark.) Her cute mark is a set of diamonds because she considers gemstones very pretty, and pretty things make her happy. It's not more complicated than that.

The cutie mark does seem to be connected with the pony's sense of identity, though: If the cutie mark is messed with, as in Magical Mystery Cure, the pony's sense of self gets completely thrown off. In other words, ponies define themselves by the thing that makes them happy - they see that as their "destiny" or purpose in life, which is why cutie marks are so important.

3990306 The Apple clan all have names that are based on apple based products and apples, Now, Babs Seed is a word play on Bad Seed, which was highlighted in the CMC song in One Bad Apple.

Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara's classmate and cohort's name is based on the saying "Born with a silver spoon in your mouth."

Ms. Harshwhinny's name is a equine pun, as a horse whinnies when startled or excited. Braeburn whinnies when greeting ponies to APPLE-OOSA!

Twilight's parents whinny to show their approval to have Twilight Sparkle enroll in Princess Celestia's school for gifted Unicorns.

Flim and Flam's cutie marks compliment each other. Flim has 75 percent of an apple with a 25 percent cut in it, while Flam has the other half. Flim and Flam mean to scam or to gain property or money through dishonest means. They even offered the 75/25 deal with the Apples, which after AJ and her family discuss it over, Big Mac declines the offer.

3990306 I totally agree with you there. Twilight Sparkle's Cutie Mark represents her friends (the five pointed star) and her love of all things magic.

Fluttershy has 3 butterflies as her mark. she loves all animals and has the ability to talk to them. She was very excited to see Spike the Dragon in the premiere and also was ready to help Rainbow Dash with Finding a Pet in May the Best Pet Win. Interesting choice for Dash to choose the Tortoise (Tank) as her pet because he was the only pet who helped her get out of Ghastly Gorge and to the finish line.

Next, we can explore the Elements and their meanings of Friendship?

The Six Elements according to the show are:

Honesty - represented by the dependable, honest, hard-working Apple farmer, Applejack
Laughter - Pinkie Pie is always got a smile on her muzzle and loves to throw parties, sing songs with her friends, and make everypony laugh! (Seems like everypony was very unhappy when Fluttershy tried to entertain at SCC with Pinkie's Cutie mark in Magical mystery cure)
Generosity - Rarity is full of Generosity. She helps her friends design some dresses for the Grand Galloping Gala in Dressed for Success, but decides to redo them after her friends reject the original designs. Hoity Toity shows up and rejects the gaudy dresses, resulting in rarity's breakdown moment. Eventually, she comes around and they put on a new fashion show with the original dress designs, which Hoity Toity raves about. Seems like his spotlighting of the Carousel Boutique attracted Sapphire Shores.

Loyalty - Rainbow Dash won't allow her friends to go on any adventures without her! She never leaves her friends hanging, even when confronted with the Shadowbolts (which was a test devised by Nightmare Moon to keep the Mane 6 from reaching the Old castle of the Royal Pony Sisters.

Kindness: You cannot have friendship without being kind to others. Sometimes, like the breezies, showing Kindness to others may mean that others may choose to take advantage of you. You must then learn to put your hoof down and be assertive (but not too much as to hurt other's feelings, as Fluttershy discovered after participating in Iron Will's assertiveness workshop/seminar). She was one of the first ponies to befriend Discord in Keep Calm and Flutter On, and despite his betrayal to join Tirek and then Tirek turning on Discord, (whoa, didn't see that coming), Discord feels helpless until his powers are restored by Twilight and her friends with the rainbow powers from that chest from the Tree of Harmony,

Friendship/Magic - When Twilight Sparkle was introduced to the show, she was caught up in her book, Predictions and Prophesies, which foretold the return of Nightmare moon. She was so absorbed in this event that she even turned down Moondancer's birthday party. Princess Celestia intervened and brought her student to Ponyville to study the magic of friendship. While supervising the preparations for the Summer Sun celebration, she meets the friends who will share in her adventures around Ponyville. They learn not to judge a Book by its cover (Zecora actually teaches this lesson), How to Share and Care (Over a barrel), and deal with a certain chaotic Draconequus named Discord. As the spell she writes in Magical Mystery Cure says,

Together as One, Together we are Friends;
The magic of true friendship never ends.

Between CMC episodes and the tirek two parter this isn't obvious?
It's a symbol of a ponies soul, in the greek sense, ie the platonic ideal of the pony. A ponies unique fundamental essence.

This is why the CMC can't get their cutie marks, they are refusing to be who they already are by crusading.

Cadence, Twilight.
Both got their cutie marks well before fulfilling the destinies they represented.
Cadence got hers well before even knowing what the crystal heart was.
While twilight got hers well before the five friends whose lives she would dominate.

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

Huh.
I had always thought that all the characters had got drunk and woke up with tramp stamps.

3990141 My Modus Ponies (ITS A PUN!) tip their hats to you for formatting though I disagree with the basis that led you to your conclusion.

I've heard a very compelling argument (and 3990306 hinted at part of it) that in Magical Mystery Cure there characters were acting out what they perceived each other to do, not actually what the mark means, considering each pony explained how they got their mark in Call of the Cutie and not one of them got it by doing their "job". While not a conscious action if true it would do a great job showing what the characters think of each other while still trying to apply their own logic to being in that pony's hooves.

Fluttershy sang a song about what a magical place the ground was when a swarm of butterflies caught her, and the mark made itself manifest, but all RD really sees her doing is critter wrangling.
Rainbow Dash likes to go fast, and only after going really fucking fast did she get her cutiemark. Her need for speed was made evident by a lightning bolt, but she's also on the weather patrol and that's what Rarity sees her for: her work. That is because Rarity herself is defined by her work.
Rarity loves creating glorious and beautiful things as an expression of herself, and got her mark when she learned that she could use her magic to enhance that ability. Even then the term destiny was used but no one said shit about it then (My destiny is a rock!?). However, AJ doesn't see that part of the job, has no magic to help her, and has often balked at Rarity's frivolous nature. AJ sees the doing as a practical service for the community just like what Apple Acres is.
Pinkie Pie is a results driven extrovert and doesn't seem get that AJ takes pride in the work itself, even though it allows her (AJ) to provide for her friends and family. Something the hard-working 'salt of the earth' pony learned about herself when sitting in the Orange's house is that she loves her family, her community, and would do anything for them. Which, in-so-doing her life is given meaning and her heart is filled with pride.
Lastly Fluttershy is a natural introvert and cannot comprehend the motivations of a natural extrovert like Pinkie Pie who learned this love of communal participation at an early age. FS hates being around other ponies so it's natural that she only sees Pinkie Pie as what could be considered attention deflection measures. There's a whole Jungian science behind why that is what it is so I won't go into that.

If we look at destiny as a grand scheme of things, and how we fit into it, it makes perfect sense why they would use the term if the cutie mark directs those perceptions of self. It's dumb, but a lot of people's problems with self-image and self-esteem are, and that doesn't make them any less valid.

To that end I think, as a cultural event, Cutie Marks are a sign of maturity, and self discovery that is made manifest by a chemical change in the body brought on by a major intellectual or emotional event. A minor ascension that seems to be a lesser--more common version of--Alicornination (which itself seems to follow a similar set of rules but to a much higher extent).

3991102 Or you could note that collectively that the number of points on the star is 42, which is the meaning of life. Magic is and always has been the meaning of Twilight's life, and only after a studious pursuit of this meaning of life did she discover that friendship is magic. Your explanation, however, leaves out the fact that Twilight has more than 6 friends, and 1 mentor. She mentors under Zecora as well, and her BBBFF as well as various Librarians.

It also conveniently overlooks the fact that the sigil of magic (the symbol that represents it in their written language) is the same star. Since she could read and cast magic long before she got her cutie mark it is not unreasonable for her to have made this association between magic and butt-branding which is important because Cheerily explains that it is an associative representation and that the mark doesn't just come from nowhere..

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22