The Hero... Nightmare Moon? 2,179 members · 319 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying that Nightmare Moon itself isn't a good name. Quite the contrary, i think it's an epic one. But since the race she belongs to in my story is also called nightmare, i wanted to find a "normal" one)

We all know her as Nightmare Moon, but what if that isn't her real name, or at least not all of it? I mean, I'm probaly not the only one writing stories were she isn't the only Nightmare, and just calling her Nightmare Moon then feels the same to me as if I would call the mane 6 "Alicorn Sparkle", "Earthpony Applejack", "Earthpony Pie", "Pegasus Dash", "Pegasus Shy" and "Unicorn Rarity".
Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I want Nightmare Moon to have a proper name (and possibly titles as well)

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? My first idea was "Shining Moon" or "Rising Moon", but I'm not really happy with either option.

How about 'Shaded Moon' 'Spirit Moon' or 'New Moon'?

Hmm... I quite like Shaded Moon. Would you mind me using that, of course with a mention that the name comes from you?

You don't have to stick to certain guidelines when it comes to choosing names. Morpheus is the Greek god of dreams, for example.

Here is a list of names for deities related to sleep across many cultures. Pick and choose, mix and match.

Thanks, the list will surely come in handy

Wanderer D

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and ask: what's the point?

Nightmare Moon is a perfect name for what Luna (means "Moon") is. Just like when you got Nightmare Rarity it's her "Nightmare" version. If you're going to create new alicorns and want unique names, then do like MLP did with Daybreaker and make one up for your OCs.

IMO, it' obnoxious when writers just want to add random "additional" names to ponies. Like when they want to add a middle name to Applejack for whatever inane reason or want to rename her Jackeline or something. Because, really, there IS no reason. OCs are a different story, but adding names to established characters is just... why.

Because I want to write a story where she isn't Luna to begin with. It's kept vague in the show and confirmed in the comics. And if that Nightmare Moon is now not the only Nightmare in the world, that constitutes a reason for her to have another name in my opinion.
Granted, I could have made it more clear that I'm looking for a name to use in my story, and i absolutely see your point.

Edit: changed the title to reflect that)

Pleasant Dreams
Newmoon Star
Cresent Eclipse
Umbria Luna
Siloutte Night

Oh, i like those! Maybe not for Nightmare Moon, but for other Nightmares, thanks

I see the words "Nightmare Moon" as a self-given nom-de-guerre. Period. If she had then won it would have been elaborated upon ("HRH Nightmare Moon, Empress of Equestria and Lady of the Eternal night"), but that is it.

The only thing I've seen is "Bellatrix" for Nightmare'd Trixie.

Of course, go right ahead.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12