The Hero... Nightmare Moon? 2,179 members · 319 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

Okay, so for those who haven't seen the Princess Centered Episode, Spoilers Ahead!

So, having seen Starlight's nightmare combined with Celestia's own fears of going rogue, we got to get a taste of Celestia's dark side, known as Daybreaker. (I personally would have preferred a name like Solar Flare or Supernova.)

That being said, here's a question I have. Do you think Nightmare Moon's emergence was more justified then the possible emergence of Daybreaker?

Nightmare Moon surfaced because Luna wanted ponies to respect and notice her beautiful night. Daybreaker, according to the episode, from what I can interpret, would surface due to Celestia's lust for power and the feeling she didn't need anypony. (sounds an awful lot like Star Wars' sith set up when I think about it.)

So, yeah my question still stands, do you think Nightmare Moon's actions held more justification even though the actions were wrong?

absolutely Luna was way more justified.

Neither was an "emergence" in the episode itself. Starlight dreamed the whole thing. "You never appreciated my lilacs!" isnt justification for NMM's return.

That said, I think both are relatively justified, and flawed in their own rights. Daybreakrr seemed to be obsessed with bringing 'order' and 'justice' to Equestria, whereas everything we see of NMM stems from a more or less selfish desire to be worshipped. Neither of these goals are inherently evil nor good but can easily be twisted into such

5964789 This was to ask if Nightmare Moon's "Past" emergence was more justified then the reason for Daybreaker's possibility of emerging, even if her reveal was through Starlight's dream. Celestia's own fears of going rogue played off of Starlight's dream if you look at it a certain way.

To be fair, there was more than just wanted the night appreciated in Nightmare Moon's case.

5964734 Totally!
But it's kind of weird that I wrote this about a month ago and then this episode aired.
A Good Day to Burn

The comparison cannot be made. Daybreaker did not emerge in this episode; she simply was. Reasons cannot be compared if one does not exist.

Daybreaker has a possibility of emerging, should Celestia be taken over by her darker side. Luna wanted to have ponies no longer neglect her and see the beauty she put into her night, but was blinded by her jealousy towards her sister's popularity, and thus turned into Nightmare Moon. Celestia's dark side, Daybreaker no longer wanted to keep a proud, level head, and socializing image. Daybreaker wanted absolute power over all, and would punish anypony and anything that got in her way.

Yes, Daybreaker's appearance and reasoning was something revealed in Starlight's dream, but because Celestia was there, Celestia's own fears fed the nightmare to show what was Daybreaker.

That is what I interpret from Daybreaker in the episode, and "that" reasoning is what I am basing the comparison off of, so I'd like to know that, if that is truly what Daybreaker's ambitions are, do you think Nightmare Moon's actions were more justified then Daybreaker's actions she wanted to take, even though they were the wrong actions to take?

Wait, isnt Daybreaker and NMM appearing in starlights nightmare a result of starlight imagining that they would turn evil after all the **** she did that day, Daybreaker being Starlights imagenig of a Evil Celestia?

5965904: Celestia's words to Daybreaker (read: Celestia saying "you will never exist again" to Daybreaker) somewhat implies that Daybreaker existed in the physical realm before. Possibly under the same conditions that brought about Nightmare Moon and Nightmare Rarity. Which might also explain why Celestia chose to use the Elements of Harmony against Nightmare Moon.

5966025 or bad wording, or just what it says on the tin. Getting destroyed now and never existing after that? (since its a nightmare just, celestias hurt reaction to seeing daybreaker might have just been sadeness/hurt because of ponies thinking of her that way or something)

But if Daybreaker existed before, it certainly wasnt Celestia who defeated her since she is celestia, bigger question would be how would starlight know about it if no one did and how she would create daybreaker in her nightmare.

I tend to think that yes, Daybreaker was part of Starlight's nightmare, but Celestia's own fears played off of Starlight's nightmare, thus giving us the fire breathing mare of the dark side of the sun, and yes, there is a dark side of the sun, I came to find out, or maybe it was the Sun's evil twin as it seems we are part of a binary star system. I can't remember.

Anything is possible really.

But rewatching it, Celestia tells Luna directly that Daybreaker and Nightmare moon in this are "Starlights" and what she thinks will happen if they continue to fight, so it is most likely Starlight who created them not Celestia.
And just before saying "you will never exist again" Celestia also says "you are not real"

5966731: She's saying "you are not real" to the Nightmare Moon dream construct, though.

5966774 Daybreaker was talking to her when she said that as a response. It was the same sentence, so either that or "you will never exist again" was also for NMM.

5967030 Or perhaps Celestia was not always the level headed mare we all know.

Haven't you ever wondered why so many tools that were built by humans seem to be used by the ponies of Equestira, or even the other races? or why a tire seemed to be buried in the ground when we saw Big Mac and Cheerilee in a pit from a 3rd person perspective during the Hearts and Hooves Day episode?..... or was that second person?

Anyways. Perhaps Daybreaker led to mankind's extinction, but some ancient magic forces (A.K.A. The Elements of Harmony) were able to bring her out of her madness, but only too late, as the damage was already done, and she sent the remaining humans to another realm that was only accessible through the mirror we all know of, and provide human counterparts for everyone of her charges, and herself to help reboot the population.

But I'm getting too dark here, and that would be just a fan theory.

The heart of this debate was based on what we were given on both evil sides of the sisters, including this and past episodes, even if one is based off a pony's dreams. In all honesty, neither have a right to take over Equestria and terrorize their charges.

Anyways. Perhaps Daybreaker led to mankind's extinction, but some ancient magic forces (A.K.A. The Elements of Harmony) were able to bring her out of her madness, but only too late, as the damage was already done, and she sent the remaining humans to another realm that was only accessible through the mirror we all know of, and provide human counterparts for everyone of her charges, and herself to help reboot the population.

The problem with this theory is that humans are never mentioned in any (official) stories regarding Equestria's founding. Adding to that, neither Celestia or Luna even knew about the Elements of Harmony until after Equestria's founders themselves gave them the throne. Having read Journal of the Two Sisters, I would have noticed such a mention by now.

The heart of this debate was based on what we were given on both evil sides of the sisters, including this and past episodes, even if one is based off a pony's dreams.

We know that one was the result of an Alicorn giving in to dark desires and a malevolent spirit taking advantage of said desires. What we don't know is if the other, if she already existed, was made the same way.

5972658 I understand where you are coming from, but don't you find it a tad odd that most of the tools and means of transport were things that humans built to get around in. And what of that tire buried in the ground during the Hearts and Hooves Day episode? Not once have I seen them use tires in any of their means of transportation.

As for the sisters' darker sides, I guess it really is left up to interpretation of the viewers at this point for Daybreaker's debut.

5966731 Its also possible "you will never exist again" is referring to NMM, not Daybreaker. She defeats both simultaneously after delivering that line.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20