The Proofreader Group 4,265 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Description: After settling down with Twilight, Phoenix is flung into the far future of Equestria in order to defend Sunny Starscout from a murder she did not commit in a world of paranoia and distrust. (This story was an inspiration from, Turnabout Storm, Elements of Justice and has some elements taken from Firesight’s fanfiction The Lawyer and the Unicorn.)

Rating: T

Average Chapter length: 2,000

What I need: I think my story is too fast. I am also trying to incorporate my story with today’s issues and I need help writing court cases.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/494624/phoenix-wright-and-the-mystery-of-the-twilight-witch

Youtube has 3 MLP X Ace Attorney crossover cases.
That should be enough inspiration...

I saw them all and I love them. That is why I am writing this story. I am fine with most of it, it is just those court cases and the fact that I think my story is a bit fast too. I think it is cool to meet more people who likes those crossovers too.

Fast? Than leave it for now. You only get dislikes.

There is a fan side were you can build your own cases with all assets for the game series plus Fan animations. Google it. Might be worth your time and inspire you to make a decent story.

Perhaps play the game, voice record yourself commenting what your going and whats going on. Its one hell of a thing to bring to Fimfiction :twilightsmile:

This is gonna sound a little weird, so hear me out, but the issue isn't that you're going too fast, but that you're going too slow, in the wrong places.
You spent about a third of the chapter setting up the scene of the death, and another third giving largely plot-irrelevant details about Phoenix's living conditions. That left you with roughly three lines depicting the actual death and the reaction of the culprit/framed mare, and a very hurried encounter with the alchemist, in which you still took about an entire paragraph to describe her clothes.
Try to think about what the most important things in your story and in each scene are. You can use the other fics and the AA games for reference, if it helps. For the murder part of your fic, you don't need to spend very much time explaining the background of the Bay, just describe the heavy storm in the night, a stallion climbing around alone - or so he thinks - and a shout of alarm from a stranger. Dedicate a line in large font to a loud SMASH! and then describe what an onlooker might focus on:

amidst the torrential rain, the crumpled form of a [blue earth pony] stallion [with a cutie mark of a cloud and video camera] lay bloody and motionless on the ground. Nearby, [way up on the roof of the building next to him], an orange mare peered over the edge, horror clear on her face in spite of her fuschia mane soaked down over her head and neck. "O-oh my Celestia!" she exclaimed, frozen in shock and fear.

(using [square brackets] to denote useful details not clearly given in the fic itself)
Similarly, when describing how Phoenix is doing, it's not really necessary to say much about the previous case, or about anything that won't likely come up in the fic. It's useful to know that he's trying to relax after a stressful case, and that he's taking some time for himself before looking into his wife's condition. It's probably not going to come up that the case involved a Larry Butz lookalike, nor the layout of his home or which streaming services he uses instead of cable.
And you can also probably pare down the description of Casandra. You're writing from Phoenix's perspective, so think about what he'd notice about her: she looks like she's in her 20s, she has long black hair and dark clothing, and her creepy, purple eyes seemed not to have pupils. And of course, he'd notice this when she first stepped out, not after he takes a swing at her.

By trimming back on certain parts, you'll make the other parts seem longer in comparison.

Thanks, I think I’ll use your suggestion for the description. Yours is much better than mine. I don’t I would have ever thought of using those particular words. I like.

Nice! And yeah, the key to having a larger active vocabulary like that is to read a lot. Like, actual books, too, not just fanfiction. Tends to give you a good sense of what a story or a sentence needs.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7