Fallout Equestria 5,356 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Heyya everyone, I've had an idea churning in my head and I wanted to ask you all about it.

I've been playing some old classics recently, Fallout 1 among others to be exact, and I also was doing some work of my own and along the way I was wondering what others consider the [i']best' tone for either the fan novels and games.

Now, to be specific, this isn't supposed to be a 'which is the best fanfic/game in their entirety' type of topic, but more of which tone in said instances is your favorite kind. For lack of a better example, Happy-go-joy-shooter or Grim-macabre-competing-with-WH40k, and all in between? Maybe for something more specific, the tones between Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4, tones between the dlcs across the games, or even Fallout 1 and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel; which do you like, or like more?

The last pair especially is blindingly different, as any who have played them are probably aware, however I'm curious to see who likes what, and maybe even what you all think of which tones work best when used in a story. I know its kind of a loaded question, since any story can be good if written well, but dispensing with that what do you guys think?

Fallout 1 and 2. Easily amongst the best in terms of tone and gameplay. Play it twice for the good and evil character, then mod the shit out of your unarmed and North Star fist the hell out of those Enclave fucks in the western part the map between arroyo and san francisco. Or look for more dark humor reach secret encounters. Or take a power hammer to the groins of children, its up to you, you absolute monster

My favorite story across all of the Fallout games is Lonesome Road. So, I love the idea of exploring creatures in their core state. It's also why I like Metro, but that's another can of worms. The writing style of creating story conflicts through morals instead of just external. Seeing characters react to situation makes the story. I guess my favorite tone for these stories are more tragic ones. Folks can really test their beliefs and ideals in this type of story and tragedies, usually, have the best humor.

That's my personal thoughts on the topic.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

For Fallout: Equestria stories, I strongly prefer the ones that use the darkness of the setting as a way to emphasize the light. Stories that show all of the brutality of the Wasteland and all its horrors, but which manage to establish hope in the face of it. It's what I liked about the original story, showing the optimistic side of MLP returning, surviving, and overcoming despite all the nastiness.

For the games, all of the main-series games have their moments. Sometimes I like the darker and more gritty tones, and sometimes the carefree shooter is more appealing. Depends on what I'm feeling like. When tone matters, though, I generally prefer something similar to above: people coming together to overcome despite the difficulties and setbacks.

For me, it's 3 and 1 for the fact they both create a setting that is very black with you able to be a shining light of hope in such darkness. It's the reason I love Fallout Equestria, Little Pip is such shield of hope in this dark setting that it makes reading the story worth it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5