Fallout Equestria 5,361 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Doomande
Group Admin

So I just saw someone post in an old Weekly Discussion Thread and they started it out by apologizing for thread necromancy.

I would just like to say that people are always more than welcome to post in weekly discussion threads, their life span are longer than just a single week, even if they have weekly in their name. So if you are new and see something that you like, or missed one of the earlier threads, then be my guest and post away!

Why do people get so pissed about thread necromancy anyways? Why create a brand new thread discussing the same thing when there is already a perfectly good preexisting one? Anyways, thanks for the heads up.

Doomande
Group Admin

Its some weird internet culture thingy that I don't get either. I mean with all of the necromantic weapons in FoE should people be more okay with necromancy!

Usually because it bumps something super old to the front of the list. I know many forums will lose members for various reason and their threads die. Someone sees it, comments and brings it to the top and people will get excited only to be let down.

At least that's how I see it.

Did someone say Necromancy?! I love necromancy! Rasing the dead, either threads or people, is of interest to me. (Insert cheeky grin here)

I dunno, people on the internet get stupid about lotsa odd little things like that. I think that even if a discussion is old, or if some users quit, necromancy provides an opportunity for a community to at least be nostalgic about whatever they'd discussed in the past. Who knows, it might be more useful in current times than it was back then.

I understand why some people might be frustrated though, because sometimes threads aren't just discussion and if something gets bumped because some rando just decided to post something stupid on a long dead topic, other users would feel that their time was being wasted. That is, however, why most sites let admins or moderators lock threads.

if something gets bumped because some rando just decided to post something stupid on a long dead topic, other users would feel that their time was being wasted.

I'm gonna necromance this thread to say you hit the nail on the head here. I've been on both sides of this debate: sometimes I feel tempted to comment on a thread that's been dead for a while if I think I have something to say (especially if I wasn't around when the thread was originally created) , but I also get annoyed when other people resurrect old threads because it creates the impression that an active conversation is going on when there actually isn't.

To necro your necro, i think people feel they want to add something they think has some value to the discussion that may have been missed. Like what I'm doing right now for instance.
And from what I've seen, most people get annoyed at necros is when there is a debate or argument that has long been settled, or to answer a question that was already satisfactorily answered. Or, like in one case I saw in the sea of thieves forums, a person returning to reignited the flame war that got them banned in the first place.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8