Fallout Equestria 5,361 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36

The question is in the title. Could a healing megaspell, like the kind used by Fluttershy to resurrect an entire battlefield, cute a ghoul of their ghoulishness, returning them to the state they were before their exposure to radiation and I.M.P, and how would this effect Canterlot Ghouls?

Well they are physical beings... it could.

That is a very tough question to answer. The Megaspell we see fluttershy use cured ponies from death but only within a 24 hour timeframe. It cured them of everything from death to small radiation burns. I suppose this would be more a question of 'how powerful is the megaspell?'. Suppose a megaspell capable of reaching back the full 200+ years was cast on a ghoul from pre war, it might very well cure them. However, if this were just the same spell used by fluttershy the ghoul would see only recent wounds heal and not much else happen.

The magic of the healing spells and potions is interesting and relatively inconsistent with "mega" healing spells and potions. Regular healing seems to work as long as the wound is present. "mega" Healing seems to heal basic wounds but also have the added effect of curing otherwise permanent damage as long as it occurs within a specific time frame. Take the 'Rejuvination Potion' for example which can heal a creature completely even from death and regrow limbs as long as the potion is administered within what is referred to as "the golden hour" which is roughly 1 hour from the point the permanent damage was inflicted.

So I mean, I guess it all depends on how the spell is tuned.

In theory. but I have to agree with skydreams that it'd have to be a seriously powerful one to undo 200+ years of radiation damage.

The thing with all questions of this nature is that it is your story to tell. If you want to find a way to cure ghouls, go for it. Nothing is stopping you. Just remember that your story will not be considered canon and write what you want to see.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

We don't have much info on non-destructive megaspells, or on what the full extents of the capabilities of megaspells are. It's possible that some healing megaspell might be able to turn a ghoul into a regular pony, though a particular healing megaspell might not. It might be possible to construct one that specifically does just that. Or it might be impossible to do, since ghouls are a byproduct of the magical radiation produced by megaspells (Which might just turn them into a different kind of ghoul). We don't really know.

So in short, I'd say: yes, the possibility is open for a megaspell that cures ghouls, and it would be up to an individual author to decide if it's possible in their own story. Personally, I'd lean towards either "no" or "kinda, but not exactly...". I also imagine ghoul reactions to such a spell varying wildly.

Comment posted by DevilYin-13 deleted Jan 24th, 2019

I would be of the kind it might rejuvenate their bodies. But they are still a ghoul, and prolonged time could see a regression in their bodies to a ghoulish looking state.

That is a very tough question to answer. The Megaspell we see fluttershy use cured ponies from death but only within a 24 hour timeframe. It cured them of everything from death to small radiation burns.

No it didn't, the Megaspell had it's limits. It couldn't revive dead ponies. But, any pony, (or zebra, or likely any creature) who wasn't actually dead, no matter how wounded, how close to dying, got fully healed.

Also, Ghouls aren't, technically, dead in the first place. They never really 'died' they just got hit with radiation in just the right amounts to alter how their body worked, resulting in them becoming insanely durable, but also causing parts of them to begin to rot and necrotize. Now, Canterlot Ghouls might be another story given what we've seen of them, but maybe not.

It really all comes down to just how ghoulification works and how it might be reversed. My initial guess would be, that while it might be possible to find magic that might reverse the changes caused when becoming ghouls, it would likely just result in a now non-ghoul pony, with a body full of necrotic tissue and no longer able to survive that. Cue agonizing death.

If there was a 'perfect cure' for being a ghoul? That could change a lot of stuff and would have to explain why it was never brought up or used, and if newly discovered, open all kinds of questions on if it's right to even use it.

I assume that, just like real medicine, the concentration of magic would also affect the spell. The spell that Fluttershy used was cast over a large area, so logically it wouldn't be as effective on the individual as it would have been had the same spell was cast on a single pony.

I doubt it, although perhaps I can make them look less rotten, they could still be ghouls on the inside but with the appearance of a normal pony (this may or may not be temporary in the short or long term).

I can already imagine a story of "Cinderella ghoul".

It is a day like any other in the llermo, a solitary and wrapped in ghoul rags that digs among the rubble, when suddenly he finds a mega healing spell that never exploded, activates it by accident but in mega spell is in bad conditions, it can only affect a few meters, it does not know what happened, something exploded but it did not feel pain and it is still in a piece, it does not realize until it returns with its ghoul companions and they do not recognize it, With its new and beautiful appearance :pinkiegasp:.
He does not know what has happened, but he likes it, his friends encourage him and, for the first time in a long time, he goes to a settlement and is treated with respect and kindness (or its equivalent in FoE), the ponies, do not walk away when you pass by them or look with revulsion, no establishment prevents entry and no merchant refuses to make deals or exchanges :yay:.
It's a dream come true :scootangel: and when you think things can not be better, that's when you see it. he spends a lot of time with that pony and discovers that they have a lot in common, they look again for several days and he believes that, finally, he found his pony very special :heart:.
But fate is cruel :trollestia: and begins to discover the first signs that your transformation is reversing, panic and depression are huge, what can you do :raritydespair:? He is becoming a monster in the eyes of his love, it is at this moment that he asks for help from his friends, who, although happy for him, are fed up with his happiness, corny :pinkiesick: and good spirit, but think it is worse, see it become the opposite.
It is when the mission begins :rainbowdetermined2:, they must achieve that their very special pony fall in love completely and irremediably, in such a way that when they discover the truth they do not mind being in love with a ghoul, it is here when ...... Please insert here wardrobe, transport and social event where our unfortunate ghoul escaped before declaring his true and eternal love and la la la la.
But since this is "Fallout equestria" the end can not be the predictable "and they lived happily until they succumbed to the radiation or being cornered by the raiders", so you choose, what happens with the end of the game of our ghoul.
1) is found and reciprocated.
2) is found and rejected.
3) is found and receives one or more shots. ( Secret end depending on your karma; to later be kissed, kicked or keep getting lead towards sunset)
4) is not found and continues to wander.
5) is not found and decides I did not keep playing.
6) none of the above, because you still have more than one million side quests.

I think not. Definitely not. Megaspells, causing regeneration (such as the one used by Fluttershy) will not be able to help the ghouls... or any other mutant, for that matter. Just because there's nothing to heal. They have changed, the state in which they are now is the norm for them.

If we need a spell that will "restore" the ghouls, then we need not a healing spell, but a spell that will turn them into what they were earlier. Into ponies, zebra, griffins etc. In other words, what is needed here is not treatment but transformation. In any case, the spell will need to be composed for each individual. But more likely than not, that any reasonably skilled and powerful unicorn, will be able to use it without the help of a pre-war ritual chambers, or a whole group of mages supporting the megaspell. What it will need, is complete understanding of ghoulification process.

Hi, I'm a big fan of Fallout: Equestria - The Chrysalis I loved the story completely and it was a great torture to wait for the performances, but it was worthwhile and although I know that the fic is finished, I kept thinking about everything you said you did not include because of problems with the plot or because you did not know how to integrate it, and other reasons. So my question is, have you not thought about rewriting some of the chapters of the fic ?, that way you could polish the story even more, fill holes, include all the ideas you wanted at the beginning or maybe new, and me and others We could read again and enjoy the fic knowing that there are new things.
Pleeeeassee :raritydespair: say yes, yes :pinkiehappy:.

Say yes and you are the new kkat for my:twilightsheepish:

By the way, what do you think of my idea?, I know it is a very basic template, but I would like to know your opinion.

Just my opinion on the matter but short answer: No

My reasoning is that the spell only worked on those that weren't quite dead yet. Ghoul's "life" state is kind of questionable. If they are alive it would be seen as a type of radiation induced mutation, therefore they are already 'healed'. If they are just some necromatically run corpse, then no, as they are already dead (or undead using other terms).

However, there were those that had been trying to work on a cure for ghoulification(I can directly reference FoE:PH for that but it would make sense for others to try as well). If such spell was successful, and incorporated into the megaspell matrix, I could see it be a resounding YES and wide spread awesomeness ensues. Just not by a typical standard "healing" spell.

6737841 I don't think it resurrected anyone, just brought them back from the brink of death. At least as far as I see it, Ghouls are already dead (or undead) and you can't fix that. Now if you want to make it work, then maybe if the entirety of the megaspell was focused in on one person with the help of powerful magics, then that could probably work. Might even bring a recently-expired person back from death.

No, post Gardens of Equesrteia ghouls are very much still a thing. So according to actual cannon no

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

It's certainly a good idea for a story. Lots of dramatic potential there. Makes me think of a few particular changeling stories, where the changeling worries about whether the pony they love would really love what they are underneath. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that done with a ghoul. And really, ghouls are kinda under-used in side-stories (I'm guilty of that myself).

As for the question about my own story... sure, I've thought about re-writing it. Generally in a "hahaha holy crap no :twilightoops:" sort of way, because of how much re-writing would be required to get some ideas in, but it's still fun to think of. If I were to write it again, I'm sure many parts would be different, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. :twilightsmile:

If I completely agree with you, I am also very happy with the result especially with the end 👌, but that's the problem I want more :raritycry:, I already reread the story twice and taking the time so that nothing escapes me and when I come back to the end I still feel incomplete that something is missing, It's that "I do not know what, what know I", which I can not locate but I know it's there,and I want it to change.
Or maybe I'm just an addict who wants to increase his dose :derpytongue2:

But hey, think about it this way, you already passed the story on normal difficulty, now comes the challenge of personal overcoming, of passed it on the greatest difficulty, after all if we wanted things to be easy, we would not love and played Fallout.

And with respect to the ghoul I think the reason why they are so ignored is that it is very difficult to sympathize, be interested or empathize with them, due to their situation :fluttercry: (they are marginalized in a world, where people are marginalized by the world itself), in a world as broken, violent and sad as it is fallout, its existence becomes the most difficult and pathetic of all, it is too sad, tragic, monotonous and marginal to want to know its history :ajsleepy:.
Compared to the heroes who leave the shelters to the wasteland to try to change the world to be a little better :raritystarry:, or perhaps the chaotic, deranged and violent life of the raiders :pinkiecrazy:, or the different factions that fight each other, for the dominance of what remains of the world:coolphoto:.
Fallout is an adventure and shooting game, not a documentary of the Second World War after all, we do not play it because of the sad and moving stories, but because of the emotion and adventure of a post-apocalyptic world.

I think that is the reason why it is very difficult for someone to write about them and be interesting, it would only be a succession of one tragedy after another, after another, after another, only in Fallout 4 is there a ghoul that is moderately Respected , Hancock after him, all the other ghouls are, if not savages, slaves, bagabundos or racists resentful against the soft skins.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I don't know, I think ghouls would be pretty easy to write, honestly. The dramatic potential already there makes for some obvious story hooks, especially for a story that's more rooted in daily life or welfare than the more dramatic "save the world" plots. Plenty of emotion and adventure potential there.

Incidentally, there have been plenty of ghouls in the Fallout series that don't fall into the savage/wanderer/racist categories. Harold is a recurring character since the first game, was reasonably well-respected in most cases (He was even a mayor in 2), and living alongside humans. There was Broken Hills in 2 with ghouls living alongside people (Even had a super mutant for a sheriff!). Ghouls became legally protected in the NCR (Although enforcement can be just as spotty as it has been in our own history), and you see some ghoul service members in New Vegas. Even in 4, they'd been living just fine alongside humans in Diamond City before McDonough stirred things up to gather votes and become mayor.

At first I also thought that Harold was a ghoul, but no. A ghoul is a product of massive radiation exposure :pinkiesick:, Harold, however was exposed to the Virus of Forced Evolution (VEF), in the Mariposa base, but unlike all the other people who were exposed to VEF, Harold did not become a Super mutant.
Harold is a mutated human, who before his tragic accident was already a born leader, if he was respected after his transformation it may have been because he already had a reputation as a human and his friends / allies did not abandon him, even so he ended expelled and up drifting aimlessly and was leader of some minority communities (ghouls and mutants)

After that, he was able to fulfill Fluttershy's dream and became a tree:trollestia:

Broken Hills was a mining city that was dedicated to extracting uranium (a city owned mostly by mutants and ghouls, from there a mutant sheriff, humans tend to apply justice very irregularly with them) the mutante and ghouls they were the main workforce of the city , the humans who lived there they were merchants, who transported the uranium to Vault City and other cumunities that made deals only with humans.
They had a relationship of respect / tolerance as long as it was convenient for me, not of true coexistence, in fact there were several times when humans tried to exterminate the ghouls and mutants, in addition the merchants charge an abusive commission for their work, that was very unfair to mutants and ghouls (like the situation of the undocumented in USA, they do not accept to work more for less money, in dangerous environments, without insurance, benefits, etc. etc. it's not because they like it, if not because they do not have a better option) Maybe they were not slaves but almost.
[I do not remember where I read it but this reminded me of the phrase; "All traders are equal, greedy and immoral gold seekers, regardless of the species", personally I think it is best applied to large companies, franchises and entrepreneurs, also to a part of Fallout Equestria in which :applejackunsure: said that companies are evil, that ponies are good and considered individually, but they get corrupted when they get together in a company, and become able of anything so that the flow of money does not stop. (I think it's the same with humans)]
When the mine dried up the city dissolved, the humans went to the cities, the ghouls ended up as destitute again and the super mutants returned to do their thing.

I'm not going to say anything about the RNC because I'm still confused when trying to understand how it works, not to mention that it's a lot of geeky debate material :twistnerd:.

Please, do not tell me about Fallout New-Vegas, I admit I'm poor and I still have not been able to buy it and I do not want spoilers. (It's weird, but I have Fallout 1, 2, 3, 4 and one or two DLC's, but not the New-Vegas one, although everyone says wonderfull about it, something always happens that prevents me from buying it, or debts, or loans or another new game I want or school or work :twilightangry2:grrr I'm fed up :flutterrage:).

In Fallout 4 it seems that the negrofagos are doing well :yay:, this Hancock as a beloved mayor and the humans treat the ghouls in general better, good all work and so much sacrifice from the shelter dwellers and lonely globetrotters was not in vain.

PS: I need more pony emoticons, there are not enough for everything I would like :pinkiesmile:

PS2:You did not respond to the challenge of increasing the difficulty :unsuresweetie:.

PS3: you have noticed that in Fallout Equestria there are no super mutants pony, yes there are mutants and in abundance but not like those of the (VEF) why? :trixieshiftright:

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I mean, if you're wanting to put that kind of qualifiers on places like Broken Hills, you could have similar ones for Hancock and Goodneighbor. He and the other ghouls got kicked out of the one decently sized settlement in the area, which doesn't sound like they've gotten much respect. He then joined a criminal settlement, and when he didn't like how things went, violently took over and declared himself to be in charge. Under his rule, Goodneighbor continued to be plagued by crime, and was kept in order seemingly because Hancock kills anyone who doesn't do as he says (Such as when you first step into Goodneighbor, an event that seems rather contradictory to his whole "no tyrants" shtick). He's respected only among a small group of outcasts and criminals, which puts him and Goodneighbor about on-par with groups in earlier games (Necropolis and Underworld come to mind).

I like Hancock a lot (Even if I think he's a tiiiiny bit full of shit :rainbowlaugh: ), but I don't think he was that unique, especially after the examples of NCR and other west-coast settlements.

RE 1: I know that feeling :twilightsheepish:

RE 2: I didn't reply because I don't want to derail the thread with something off-topic, and I feel I already said everything in my first post. Sorry.

RE 3: The Fallout: Equestria analogue to super mutants are the alicorns. IMP is the Fallout: Equestria version of FEV.

Hancock es uno de mis personajes favoritos, y compañero predilecto junto con dogmeat ñ, por lo que tengo

No, because once you've heated up an ice cream bar in a microwave, it doesn't matter how long you keep it in the fridge. It will not regain its previous form. Yes, it will be cold again, but it will be a cold, shapeless mess with bits of half-molten chocolate sticking out.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

The analogy might fall apart in a setting where there's magic that could potentially do just that. I mean, we've seen animals turned into sapient, ambulatory fruit, multiple broken items (Including a whole dam) mended seamlessly, and other impressive feats. Fallout: Equestria is also a setting where magic of various forms has regrown horns and limbs, and a healing megaspell has been shown to bring every single wounded person on the battlefield back to full health, regardless of how badly injured they were.

Well, yes, the MLP has certainly featured a lot of insanely amazing things being achieved by magic. I guess it's up to how the author decides to treat said things. Personally, I have the opinion that the moment canon gets in the way of your story, you ignore it. As far as healing goes, I like the idea that magic can heal pretty much anything, as long as it hadn't had time to heal naturally.

In my opinion, magic disrupts reality by imposing the caster's will. If left alone, the spell will fade as reality reasserts itself. That's why I think that enchantments and things like that do wear off with time. The amount of time depends on the skill and power of the caster. Only exceptionally powerful magic can change something permanently.

Healing, in my opinion, works by accelerating the body's natural healing process. If it's something your body would heal on its own, healing magic will provide the necessary boost in order to achieve it almost instantly. Also, unlike natural healing process, healing magic relies on the magical power of the caster for fuel.

Now, regarding ghouls, I'll probably contradict my previous statement a bit and say that it might be possible, but highly unlikely. I think you also have to know what you're doing when you're using healing magic. It doesn't matter how much magic you pump into a victim, if you do not set the bone properly before healing it, the pony will end up with a lame leg. Yeah, technically, the bone has healed, but not in the right way.

With ghouls the problem would be that no one has any idea how to actually reverse the process. As far as medical conditions go, it is an entirely new one. I highly doubt that extensive studies on ghouls have been conducted on the Equestrian Wasteland. You may be able to "program" a healing megaspell to set the bones, stop the bleeding and close up the wounds, and basically restore a pony to what the "default" state of a pony should be. However, since ghouls are a completely alien problem, the megaspell has no idea what to do. It might understand what is wrong with the pony and what the ghoul should actually be, but it has no idea how to get there.

I hope my post makes sense. It's half past three in the morning over here, so I am not firing on all cylinders.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

Heh, no worries. That was all pretty much how I see it, too :twilightsmile:

I figure normal healing magic mends injuries in ghouls, but doesn't know how to fix the whole "ghoul" thing. A healing megaspell would probably be the same... but they're also such exceptional magic and so poorly understood that it's hard to say. Maybe they would heal ghouls. Or maybe they'd turn them into some other kind of ghoul. :rainbowderp:

Well, I do have to point out that ghouls are also healed by radiation, so there's that to consider. Radiation is not exactly the same thing as healing magic. Then again, a broken bone is a broken bone, no matter what kind of creature you are, so there's no reason for standard healing magic not to work on ghouls.

As for radiation, I think it's safe to say that radiation itself does not heal a ghoul. Instead it gives them energy/vitality, thus providing their bodies with all the energy they need to heal. It's the same when a person is 20 years old vs 40 or 60. When you're young, your body heals much faster and better. All those cuts and bruises disappear within days, whereas you're older the same cut will take longer to heal.

I understand that the idea of a megaspell is that it's merely a normal spell on steroids. It might have been amplified to a ridiculous degree, but underneath it all, it's a regular spell. Then again, it's not like the knowledge on how to turn a spell into a megaspell is common. Especially in the wasteland, where there are much bigger problems to worry about.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

This did get me thinking on how the magical radiation we're used to is specifically the balefire megaspell radiation. Supposedly each megaspell produces different secondary effects (Non-canon, but from Kkat's blogs), which makes me wonder if other megaspells might produce their own distinct kind of magical radiation, and if so, would that radiation affect ghouls differently?

It depends on how a megaspell works. If the foundation is the same for every megaspell and the only difference is the type of spell you "load" into/onto the megaspell, then there shouldn't be any difference in radiation (assuming it's the foundation part of the megaspell that leaves behind the radiation).

Furthermore, from what I recall, the megaspells used to devastate Equestria were of the same type. A balefire spell, turned into a megaspell. It is possible that zebras used other types of megaspells to destroy Equestria, but I doubt it. They didn't have their own megaspells until Fluttershy gave them the info. Considering it was towards the end of the war, they didn't have time to do elaborate research so they could have a great variety of megaspell weapons. Just use a balefire spell and be done with it.

Now, if we're talking about megaspells that were used for different purposes or ones that were created during the research process, then there could be all sorts of aftereffects. I'd say it depends on the writer. Personally, I think only balefire megaspells leave behind the type of radiation that heals/creates ghouls. Other megaspells might have absolutely no secondary effects or they could leave behind a type of radiation that kills absolutely everyone, regardless if they're a ghoul or not.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

There was also the pink cloud megaspell used on Canterlot, so they had at least two, even if one was only used once that we know of. They probably had time to develop more. After all, there was enough time after the development of the balefire megaspells for the Stable project to become desired, planned, and implemented. That's probably several years after the development of the balefire megaspell. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a few other megaspells, but they were just so uncommon that we didn't see or hear of them. Granted, I mostly like that idea because it leaves more room for authors to come up with neat things in their stories. :twilightsmile:

Come to think of it, I don't remember any radiation associated with the pink cloud, and a quick search doesn't find anything. So that seems to be a good case for the idea that not all megaspells create radiation (Especially since that was still an active, ongoing megaspell, too!). But at the same time, there's enough similarity between the two that the pink cloud still created its own form of ghouls. If you go into Kkat's blogs, there's the idea that even the healing megaspell has its own analogue to ghouls (Ghosts, basically), even though there was no indication that it created any radiation.

So perhaps it's really just the exposure to the megaspell that causes ghoulification, and the radiation the balefire megaspells create effectively counts as exposure to the megaspell that created it. Which is functionally the same as the radiation causing it, but explains why other megaspells don't appear to cause radiation but still cause their own form of ghouls.

Yeah, forgot about the Pink Cloud. As for the Stables, I do not recall whether or not they were created because of the balefire megaspell threat or simply because the war had become so devastating in general. I think Stable-Tec started building them before zebras got the megaspells, but I am not entirely sure. As for when exactly zebras got the megaspells, I am fairly confident it was very close to the end of the war. It might not be a lot of time to develop a vast amount of megaspells, but it is surprising what a motivated society can do.

I remember that in WW2, factories in Detroit went from producing cars to building tanks overnight.

I am not a big fan of the idea that each megaspell can create their own type of ghoul. Though it has more to do with storytelling in general than anything in universe. It just feels like a gateway to bring in super special snowflake characters into the setting. "Oh, he is a very special type of ghoul. Very rare. Created by a megaspell you haven't even heard of."

That aside, though, I don't see why there wouldn't be a possibility for different megaspells creating different ghouls. Granted, the amount of ponies turned into ghouls would most likely be very small, since ghoulification is an extremely rare process. A process that isn't fully understood. Even in the Fallout universe, it is not entirely how a person becomes a ghoul. Yes, there is radiation involved, but that's the only thing we know. Genetic mutation? Random chance? Some other factor that isn't present in 99.9 percent of cases?

Of course, it does raise the question, if there are other types of ghouls, how are they affected by radiation/aftereffects of different megaspells?

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

Well, we know pink cloud and balefire megaspells create different kinds of ghouls. I do think it could be easy to go overboard with, but that goes for pretty much anything that hasn't been covered in the original story. :twilightsheepish:

As for the Stables, it's not clear exactly when they were built, but it seems pretty late-war. Apple Bloom was negotiating for the land where Stable 2 would go while all the SPP towers were already under construction, and Littlepip guessed that "flashback" as being a year or two before the "last party", which was right before the megaspells went off.

The specifics of the Stables really make me think they were made after the threat of offensive megaspells were a thing, and the zebras had the first offensive megaspells. There were several parts of the design that seem to be aimed specifically at such a threat. While it's possible that they were retrofitted afterwards, I just don't think there was enough motivation to create such specific shelters without the megaspells.

But there was also a line Sweetie Bell said to Apple Bloom, in the aftermath of the assassination attempt on Applejack and Rainbow Dash calling Fluttershy a traitor (Due to them having used the megaspell technology to make offensive megaspells). It's a line where Sweetie grumbles about how sometimes she wants to just dig a hold and hide in it until the war is over, which kinda sounded like it might have been the seed of the idea that would become the Stables.

So yeah, it's not really established exactly what order these events occurred in, but I kinda have a hard time buying the Stables being made before the megaspells were a threat.

I'm not sure about interactions between ghouls and radiation from other megaspells, but I'm pretty sure Steelhooves was healed by radiation still. No clue how that might work for other kinds of ghouls.

Fair enough. I don't remember the exact details of when the Stables were built and when zebras got the megaspells. Therefore, it sounds reasonable that the Stables were built after the megaspells.

The reason I believed that Stables came before megaspells was that by this point the conflict had turned out into an all out total war. Considering that zebras were fighting against what they considered the arch enemy of their religion, it sounds reasonable that they would use megaspells the moment they got them.

As for ghouls and different types of radiation, from what I remember, Pink Cloud and Balefire are both necromantic spells. Sure, the effects might be different, but there should be some similarities and said similarities are the ones that result in the sort of radiation ghouls like. Furthermore, Steelhoves was exposed to the Pink Cloud directly, whereas (from what I recall) normal ghouls were exposed to the radiation from balefire spells. I assume everyone who was directly exposed to a balefire megaspell was burnt into a crisp.

When it comes to different megaspells, what if they created their ghouls in a different manner? Assuming non-destructive spells do not leave behind any radiation, the only way for them to turn a pony into a ghoul is when the spell goes off. Let's take the healing spell and ghosts, for example. When the megaspell goes off, everyone is healed. However, is some, extremely rare cases, the spell doesn't just repair the body, sometimes it tries to "go deeper" and attempts to restore a pony's soul. In most cases, it fails, since the restoration of the soul is an unexpected side-effect and the spell is not created for that.

Sometimes, however, the spell does, kind of succeed and creates something of a copy of a soul, an echo. Most of the time, these echoes/copies disappear into the background magic. But sometimes, there is an anomaly, and the soul/echo remains as a ghost, wandering around the land, trying to carry out some strange task or reliving parts of the lives they remember.

Considering how little in-depth information we have on megaspells, there is plenty of room for some creative writing. The challenge, however, is to avoid taking it too far.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

Well, I couldn't really say for sure that the Stables came after offensive megaspells. The story doesn't give those details. It just gives some points of information that I think suggests (I'd even say, strongly suggests) that they were a response to zebra megaspells. But, technically, it doesn't seem to be clearly stated one way or the other. :twilightsheepish:

But we do know that the zebras had offensive megaspells before Equestria did. There was a recording where we hear Twilight freaking out about the zebras having hundreds of megaspell-equipped missiles, while Equestria's own offensive megaspell was, in her words, "useless". They had an advantage in megaspells, but chose not to use them.

I'd assume their choice was because they either didn't know about Equestria's capabilities (Perhaps assuming that the nation that had created megaspells had of course weaponized them already), or they thought they could win in a conventional war without causing potentially world-wide damage. Maybe both.

As for the whole ghoul and radiation thing, Kkat posted up a conversation talking about the subject that I really like. Going by it (And she emphasizes that it's non-canon), every megaspell creates magical radiation, but they all create different magical radiation that produces different ghouls (And judging by how it behaved, I'm guessing PipBucks only picked up on the necromantic radiation of the balefire megaspells). It's the version I go with, because I really like what it adds to the setting, and especially how it further distinguishes megaspells from "just nukes with a different name").

I was debugging my bookmarks, and came across this post which entertained me a lot :trollestia:

The nostalgia of remembering the past through your old Google bookmarks

Thanks for this post it was very funny :pinkiehappy:

Like balefire, Pink Cloud is also something they already had in small quantities, if I recall Little Horn was the first use of it. So basically., the Zebra's made mega-spells of their two main weapons.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36