The Conversion Bureau 767 members · 387 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Julian found interesting wikipedia article:
Invitational rhetoric

Invitational rhetoric is part of an effort to formulate alternative conceptions of rhetoric that are not “exploitative and oppressive but that contribute to a more respectful way of being a rhetor in the world.”[4] A major assumption behind invitational rhetoric is that “the communication discipline, through its traditional constructs and theories, participates in this culture of domination,” and invitational rhetoric constitutes an effort to “contribute to the creation of more humane lives” for individuals.[4]

But of course in current world it may quickly run into rocky terrain:

Offering perspectives may be difficult to do in hostile situations when other interactants are not interested in hearing a different perspective or when conquest and conversion rhetorics are being used.

Another find I noticed at Stross's latest blog, but not read past the abstract is
Measuring Stability and Change in Personal Culture Using Panel Data (2020)

Abstract

Models of population-wide cultural change tend to invoke one of two broad models of individual change. One approach theorizes that people actively update their beliefs and behaviors in the face of new information. The other argues that, following early socialization experiences, dispositions are stable. We formalize these two models, elaborate empirical implications of each, and derive a simple combined model for comparing them using panel data. We test this model on 183 attitude and behavior items from the 2006-14 rotating panels of the General Social Survey. Though the pattern of results is complex, it is somewhat more consistent with the settled dispositions model than the active updating model. Most observed change in the GSS appears to be short-term attitude change or measurement error rather than persisting changes. When persistent change occurs, it is somewhat more likely to occur in younger people than older people and more common for public behaviors and beliefs about high-profile issues than private attitudes. We argue that we need both models in our theory of cultural evolution but that we need more research on the circumstances under which each is more likely to apply.

- important line italized by me

well, may be there are humans who start from some installed-in-childhood ground and update themselves from this platform up .. But those might be rare? Thinking is costly, but non-thinking today may be deadly in some ....unfanny ways.

Updating my thinking a lot burns me out due to being stressed, sick and old. Well, not that old but certainly haven't been taking care of my self optimally. Maybe it's because events forced me to adapt or die, or just not very good at it. Not sure have the things I do anymore but think I try.

Equality, immanent value and self-determination. Can follow that. The whole point to understand and not persuade seems like heard that before. Oddly for some reason. Don't know. It's like meeting someone for the first time but this isn't the first time. Pardon the tangent.

Don't know if humans start out at a default for one or the other.

I feel like there is some precursory information regarding intention of this data that was not provided by the original post.

I feel like there is some precursory information regarding intention of this data that was not provided by the original post.

- yeah, just 6 years of nearly every day talk between me and Julian, and at least 8 years before that in general ....

I don't know why most humans become activists. I suspect they often do so not because they really hope *to solve* their choosen problem, but mostly because ..yes, having some group of comrades cool in itself, and fighting injustice sounds cool and important. It is, for me. But ... it seems this 'fighting' part changes activists and their groups much more than their target audience! And not in a good direction. So, in-between git pulls I look at those written words, in (vanishing) hope to find something ..important. Useful. Because Julian currently much more involved in political debate (as happening on Youtube, and in written format) - he also interested in how and when it works, and when - backfires with catastrophic consequences.

Don't know the context or who this Julian is. Figuring if I meet this person won't care much about them because their knowledge would go over my head. Really would like to know more, but I know better that I won't get Julian. Not in this weather. Though, I assuming you're friends, does please me if this the case. Derp...

Anyhow, the whole crusading for your idea to others is little like reaffirming yourself what reality is. Like magic but not in the friendship sense. Recall from history a lot magic was just ways to make your mind and body behave in a certain way. Or influence or make others do what you want. Love potions and silver tongues.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5