The Conversion Bureau 769 members · 387 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Dafaddah
Group Admin

Really. Finally. Just wow!

An episode that made sense, had an actual moral, real feelings, Spike respect - in fact it was his astute observation that set the whole thing in motion! It was an absolute pleasure from the first to the final frame, with a truly heartwarming series of appearances by Minuette (I love how she handled Twilight's re-appearance in her life, and then helped her on her quest to find their other friends. Moon Dancer was also exceptionally well written, and the evolution of her character in this episode is a pleasure to watch.

It's also heartwarming to see that Twilight has learned the lesson of going to her friends when she has a problem she can't solve other own. What a wonderful lesson for everyone watching!

All-in-all, this episode was gold and I have to rate amongst my very favorites of the entire series!

I hope the fandom's reaction will give Hasbro and DHX a clue and give M.A. Larson more respect and more episodes!

Noble Cause
Group Admin

Hear hear!

This episode just... made me happy in a way that I haven't felt since... well, Season 1, episode 1. Love and Light, Sun and Moon and all that is good, this was pure and simple wonderfulness.

For those that have felt off-put by the past seasons, and were unsure up to now... this is the episode for you.

The one thing that bothered me is the retcon. Celestia didn't send Twilight to Ponyville to learn to be a better friend. She sent her to Ponyville to "make some friends." It felt to me like, in writing this, they looked at an Episode 1-scene, and extrapolated it into an episode.

But, once I got around that, it's a great episode about friendship, because it shows how some people can get over a slight easily, some take it rough but are still ready to forgive, and some really feel it and it takes a lot of effort to rebuild trust.

Some good, charming, old school, no-bullshit MLP:FiM about cute ponies being friends. Nice.
Hardly any jokes or snappy dialog, though. And I feel a bit shafted on my Lyra quotient.
But I really dug Moondancer's eyebrows. And the "Haycartes" pun.

4524505 Wholeheartedly agree.
Very beautiful and one of my favorites.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

I was utterly impressed with this one. It followed up on previous events, it retained continuity, it dealt with consequences that naturally resulted from actions taken, and... it was just plain appropriate.

This is the sort of writing I expect from MLP:FIM. This is the bar I have in my mind for what should be done with the show during non-crisis moments. Emotional growth and character development. A plot not bogged down with pointless and irrelevant cheap cartoon gags. A plot written with the intention to tell a story about people and feelings and actions and outcomes.

The episode was perhaps not perfect, but it was solid, decent, and true to the world, and made sense, and was fulfilling. And that beats cheap gags and uncaring distortion of the characters every time.

I say this now folks, hit Twitter and let them know this is the kind of episode you want to see!

Chatoyance
Group Admin

"Illusory joy is often worth more than genuine sorrow."
- René Haycartes

Clearly a Brony.

Now that I have seen “Mending Fences”, I understand the need to talk about it. Before I get into how I felt about the epi, I would like to point out for those who are interested in philosophy in ponies, or vice versa, Magic Kindergarten might be worth reading as the story mentions René as Day Cart.

From the moment Twilight and Spike arrived at Canterlot I was fighting back tears. Ponies are not greedy and they enjoy helping others, so running off to do something meaningful is understandable, but coming back and realizing that you have lost time with people you care about, hurts in a way for which I don't think the English language has a word. I heard somewhere, that an ancient meaning for the the Japanese word Sayounara is, “should we meet again in this life, it will be as though we never have”.

As they were standing in front of Moon Dancer's house I was about ready to scream. One of the signs of severe depression is not caring about anything. As Americans, it's easy to over look the state of Moon Dancer's house, but in a world where happiness is what you do, not what you own, an up-kept wooden house is more likely to house a happy pony than a house in disrepair made of solid gold. It was clear to me that Moon Dancer was really messed up.

As the episode progressed I just wept quietly, Moon Dancer was what Twilight would have been had she not been pushed to focus on friends. Realistically, all of them are guilty for not being better friends toward each other, so I have to believe that the blame Moon Dancer levied on Twilight was symbolic to the first pain that causes a person to cloister themselves away. It's really very sad that if MD would have pushed past that first pain, she would have blossomed like Twilight had.

As if the water works weren't busted enough, the ending left me crying into a pillow. As much as we want friendship, we fear the sound that breaks the silence will hurt worse and it would be better to stay silent, but it is wonderful to be shown that it's never too late to heal. Thank you M.A.Larson for writing this episode, thank you for waiting this long to air it. This is a story that only has meaning when so much time has past. So often we make ruts in our lives out of the habits that we have lazily fallen into, and think that we cannot change or that even if we tried others would keep us down in the hole we have dug, but to overcome our own doubt is beautiful, and to succeed in picking up where we left off is magical.

In my usual fashion of being so moved, I would like to share a song and some of its lyrics, that may in a less wordy fashion convey the rebirth of the heart that I saw in this episode:
“When one story ends there's another. It's all up to us, don't you see? You say 'let's begin', and I say 'once again', and you'll find it's not 'once upon a time', but here and now and you and me.”

ok, for the benefit of those who don't watch their episodes as they are released, (I know it's not just me) which one is it?

5367755 S5E12 "Amending Fences"

Comment posted by SilverStarApple deleted Aug 10th, 2018
Dafaddah
Group Admin

Season 5 episode 12 Amending Fences.

That's what was being talked about? I loved that episode!

I miss episodes like that, where they didn't try to shove terrible OCs down your throat at the expense of everyone else.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15