Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Soaring
Group Admin

Hello everyone! Have a quick update to the rules for all of you. Muggonny and I have been talking about the word count rule, and we want to be transparent with you all so that you know where that threshold begins to effect your story. We have provided a bit of wiggle room in case you are edging against the word count and are about to go over it. Here are the following guidelines:

5301-5999 = -5 points
6000-6999 = -10 points
7000-7999 = -15 points

You see the pattern? I would advise not going higher than the word count alottted, but if you do, you have at least 300 words of wiggle room. After that, points will be deducted from your final score.

Hope this provides some clarity. We can't wait to read everyone's submissions! Thank you to those who have already submitted!

I'm kinda just watchin from the bench since I already know I ain't good enough to compete

I’m not going to win, but I’m still going to make a submission. It’s fun to write.

Thanks for the clarification after I already got word from Muggonny that deductions would not occur until after the first 1k after the leeway. If I misunderstood their statement, then that's on me, but I'm disappointed at this lack of clarity earlier. For your own reference, this is part of my discussion with Muggonny last week.

Muggonny
Group Admin

I probably should have elaborated. I was implying that you'll get points deducted after the 300 word leeway, and that the deductions will continue per 1k.

I'm rather disappointed that it took this long to make full clarification. Well, maybe I'm being stubborn, but I won't be reducing my word count at all. With work taking up most of my time, I can't dedicate as much as I'd like to trying to squish an already short story even shorter. This should have been stated either much earlier in the contest.

Muggonny
Group Admin

Well, alright. Sorry for the mix-up. I'm looking forward to your entry!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7