Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 174 members · 138 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Snow Quill
Group Contributor
ERemember...
It's hard to look into the eyes of a loved one, and find no recognition.
flutterJackdash · 5.8k words  ·  18  0 · 522 views

Overview
In this review I have decided to focus on the characters, flow, and emotional impact. Spoilers abound so make sure you have read it beforehand!

Now, one other thing to note, this story is two chapters, but one story. What I mean by that is the first 'chapter' is the original story as it was written last year, with the second 'chapter' being slightly updated and edited for a better story. I will mostly basing my review on the revised, second 'chapter', but I will draw some comparisons on the improvements and changes between versions.

Just by looking at the title and reading the descriptions, it is easy to get a feel for what this story is about. However, even that didn't fully prepare me for the heart ache within. It's a story many, including myself, can relate to - the day where a family member doesn't recognize us. Now through either Alzheimers or Dementia, it is a rough journey either way. Where this story differs from expectations is that we are lead to that soul crushing moment by way of memories, of Applejack growing up as the splitting image of her father.

Break out the tissues folks and lets dive deeper into the review!

Characters/Flow
I think Applejack and Fresh Apple, her father, were expertly portrayed. Big Mac and her mother, in their sparse appearances, were also well handled. The dialouge was a little akward and stilted at first, mostly with their accents being written with just th' - simply because it's not something I have seen before. This doesn't detract too much from the story once I got used to it though.

At the start of the story, we are introduced to Fresh Apple as a concerned father who has to comfort his frightened foal Applejack during a fierce storm. This initial scene doesn't change too much from the original version, but I did like how the author expanded on it a little and reworked some of the concepts; such as how they noted that Fresh and Applejack are splitting images of each other.

Next, we are starkly brought into what I assume is the present, where Applejack found her father in the orchard and he doesn't recognize her. In fact, he is looking for his mother. This contrast worked wonderfully I feel, as the next section is another memory, although this one is a little more bittersweet. We learn that Applejack's mother has fallen ill after giving birth to Apple Bloom, and is spending most her days in bed. The scene ends on a happy note though, as Big Mac is giving his iconic yoke as a gift and Applejack is given a guitar and her father's hat. We are also given more insight to their relationship as father and daughter, one where Applejack is her father's shadow and follows him everywhere. The next part is a little shorter, but it adds to their relationship, as well as having another glimpse at Buttercup.

The final three scenes, while short, hold great depth and impact on the story. First, adult Applejack leads her father into the hospital, fighting to keep a strong front like her father has done for her her entire life. The next scene is some direct exposition between the doctor and Applejack, confirming what I suspected. We are also given a more direct look into Applejacks heads and thoughts, as she worries over the farm and regrets her foalhood trip to Manehatten. We also get a short little bit with Rarity comforting Applejack, which was really sweet. And then the final scene, one last memory, of Applejack and Fresh comforting each other over the grave of Buttercup.

Overall the flow is well paced, weaving together memories and present wonderfully to provide a solid story. I really don't have any critiques for this other than the slightly awkward introduction of using th' to mark their accent; and really, that more of a personal nitpick than anything

Emotional Impact
Not gonna lie, this story hits pretty hard. Not only for the heartbreak within, but the fact that this sort of thing happens all the time in real life. I have had a few family members with Alzheimers, I know plenty of people who lost their parent/grandparent to Dementia, and I am sure plenty of readers have experienced it to some degree. Tackling a tragic and common illness and happening like this, it makes readers a lot more sympathetic a lot easier and allows the full emotional impact to really hit them. That said, I enjoyed this story; following along with the memories that built up this close relationship, and then in just a few paragraphs shattering it with a confused stallion and a poor mare seeing her father disappear before her.

Who might like this
If you are looking for a short and bittersweet fic that hits you in the feels then this is for you.

Note to the author
This was overall a pretty solid story with some great depth and impact, you did a good job on this one and I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

flutterJackdash
Group Contributor

7321808 Thank you for the review! Better than I was expecting, honestly. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I, too, have been there. Still am, in fact. I'm helping to take care of both grandparents, and even today she couldn't remember my name and could say that she didn't know what was wrong with me but that I had once been a handsome man. It was... confusing, and difficult to swallow. Hard to remember, at times, that it isn't her fault.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2