The School of Friendship: The Series 21 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

This is just something I wrote up a few months back to flex the sort of relationship I was seeing Cozy Glow have with each of the Student Six, and vice-versa. I thought I'd post it here for comments and refinements. None of this has to be "canon", it's just an experiment.

"So going around the table," Sandbar said, "Yona plays Azarka the Unstoppable, mighty berserker warrior."

"Not surprised." Cozy droned. Yona grinned.

"Smolder is Fiona, the scholar and wizard."

"Huh?" Cozy asked, brow rising high as she sat up straighter. She WAS surprised at that. Smolder matched her gaze with a 'what about it?' look. "YOU? Why aren't you a, I dunno, one of those monk things that beats creatures up with their fists?"

"'Cause I can do that in real life," Smolder said, "and the whole point of roleplaying is to be something you're not."

"Not for Yona!" Yona objected.

"I'm pretty close to my character too," Silverstream said. "Vinni the thief. Only I'm not a real thief, I guess, but I'm getting REALLY good at picking locks! It's fun!"

"Of course, you play a male," Sandbar pointed out. Silversteam shrugged, and Sandbar continued. "Gallus is playing..." he squinted at his notes. "I can never pronounce this, dude."

"Sir Gwalchmei ap Gwyar," Gallus said. He was sitting up unusually straight and batting his d20 between his talons. "Hawk of the Plain, Seeker of the Idol of Boreas, and Knight Errant of Griffonstone."

Cozy burst out laughing. "Wh-wh-what?" She asked. "What...what kind of name is THAT?"

Gallus turned up his beak. "Mine."

"And that leaves me," Ocellus said. "My character is White Heart, a healer and priestess of the Anticipation of Love. She was born in the borderlands near Serpenta and..." Ocellus blushed. "Um...I have...a long backstory. Almost as long as Gallus'.

"Yeah, except Sir Gwalchmei is a character I've played as since I was a chick," Gallus pointed out. "You came up with like fifty pages in a week."

Ocellus' blush deepened. Cozy, meanwhile, looked between the six, then looked down to her own character sheet. "Um..." she said, "I..."

"Rolled up yourself, didn't you?" Smolder asked with a smirk.

Cozy glared hate at Smolder. The dragon matched it. She had objected louder than any of them to Silverstream's suggestion that Cozy join their game night. Her and Gallus, but Gallus...Cozy was sure it wasn't personal. He was just supporting Smolder.

"It's okay," Sandbar said. "That's basically what Yona did too. Just change your name."

Cozy had taken her pencil into her mouth, and chewed on it after erasing her name from the sheet. "Um...how about...Darkened Way."

Smolder snorted. "Edgy."

"Tryhard," Gallus added.

"Guys..." Silverstream chided, before Cozy could react. "Let's just try to be nice." She turned to look at Sandbar. "So last time we were still in the middle of the Ruins of Paardveld, weren't we? When are we going to meet Darkened Way?"

Sandbar checked his notes behind his gamemaster screen, and nodded to himself. "Actually, you'd just opened the door to the dungeons, so...right now." He looked to Cozy Glow. "Darkened Way, you hear the screech of metal on stone, and the glow of torchlight - "

"Eldritch blast!" Cozy exclaimed, throwing her d20.

"THAT didn't take long," Smolder groaned, planting her face on the table.

"What?" Cozy demanded. "Sandbar said that I'd be introduced as exploring a dungeon in a monster-infested ruin. Why would I think that anycreature I come across is friendly?"

"She has a point..." Ocellus said.

"Doesn't matter, anyway," Gallus pointed out, pointing at the d20. It showed a 2. "No way her attack is high enough to hit Vinni."

It was finally Cozy's turn to grin as she pulled out her other d20. "But I'm high enough level that I get two attacks. Ha!"

Smolder groaned from the table. The die rolled a 14. With Cozy's modifiers, it was enough to hit. Cozy rolled her damage, and got an impressive 17 damage.

"Okay..." Sandbar said. "So you hit Vinni, but he can take a hit so he's not down yet."

"It hurt, though!" Silverstream objected. She tapped a claw to her beak. "So...should we be entering initiative, then?"

"Yes," Gallus said, "Sir Gwalchmei ap Gwyar isn't going to just let an attack on his trusted sidekick go unpunished."

The table rolled initiative. Cozy growled as her result was near the bottom, only Ocellus slower than her. Silverstream's character was the fastest, and she had Vinni run into the dungeon, but pause at the sight of Darkened Way. "Okay, so...why did you attack me?" Silverstream asked.

Cozy's eyes narrowed. "I told you already - "

"No, I mean, Vinni is asking. Because I - Vinni - ran in here expecting some kind of Night Deer or Skelewizard. Not a pegasus filly."

Cozy considered, looking over the forces arrayed against her...or against her character, anyway. "Uh...okay..." she cleared her throat. "'Oh! You SURPRISED me! Golly, I'm all alone in this big, scary dungeon all by my lonesome. Maybe we can be friends?'"

Silverstream smiled a genuine smile, and Cozy found herself returning it. Gallus, meanwhile, peered at the Game Master screen. "Okay, so Fiona is next?"

"Looks like," Smolder said, rolling a 20. "And...ha! 21! So that's high enough level to identify a Fiendish Warlock based on the spell she cast, right?"

"...probably..." Sandbar noted slowly. "But using a skill like that is an action, so all you can do is move."

"And talk. Talking is a free action." Smolder turned to Gallus. "'She's a Fiendish Warlock! Probably a servant of Tirek. We can't trust her!' And I end my turn."

"Guys - " Ocellus began.

She was ignored as Gallus sat up even straighter. He moved his miniature right up adjacent to Cozy. "I use Great Weapon Master with my greatsword." He rolled two d20s. "Eighteen and fifteen. Do those hit?"

"Yeah, I can see from here," Smolder said, before Cozy could speak up. "Her Armor Class is 13."

"Cool. So thats 21 and 18 damage. Now I'm going to Action Surge into two more power attacks..." he rolled his d20s again, and got a 13...and a Natural 20. A critical hit. When he was done, he'd dealt a further 39 damage. The total of 78 damage was more than enough to drop Darkened Way.

"WHAT?!" Cozy demanded. "I'm DEAD?!"

Smolder and Gallus high-fived. Yona, meanwhile, scowled at the two, speaking up for the first time in a while. "How Cozy pony supposed to play if character is already dead?" She demanded.

"She's NOT, that's the point," Smolder said. "She tried to send us to another dimension! And oh yeah, tried to KILL you!"

Cozy trembled with outrage. "No I didn't!"

"Remember the trip to Cloudsdale?"

"No! I didn't go on it! And there were PLENTY of pegasi there to catch any creature that fell! And also that was AGES ago!"

"That was LAST YEAR." Smolder crossed her arms. "And how about, I dunno, that time you tried to take over Equestria?!"

"I was let out of the statue, wasn't I?!" Cozy demanded.

"Yeah, so Princess Twilight and Principal Starlight could saddle us with a group project," Gallus said. Cozy's eyes grew wide as she looked to him.

Yona shook her head. "Yona not like this. Azarka the Unstoppable move next. Azarka move into room and stop Gwalchmei from attacking more. Azarka ready action to disarm Gwalchmei if Gwalchmei make to attack fallen filly."

"What's the POINT?" Cozy asked, grabbing her character sheet and getting ready to tear it. "I'm dead! You don't want me here, FINE! I'll just LEAVE!"

It wouldn't tear, however - possibly because it was closed in a blue aura holding it together. Cozy looked over it, and saw Ocellus' horn glowing. "It's my turn," the changeling said. "White Heart will move up to Darkened Way and cast Cure. You're not dead until you fail three death saving throws, you havne't even made one yet. You were just knocked unconscious." Ocellus rolled her dice, and restored 19 hit points to Darkened Way.

Sandbar looked between each player, sighing and rubbing his temple. "Okay. So...we got that all out of our systems? Can we keep playing?"

"No!" Cozy said. She glared at Smolder and Gallus. "Why should I if I'm just going to be watching my back all the time waiting for these two to stab me?"

"So a typical day for anypony around you," Smolder said.

Sandbar whickered. "Guys, you're being jerks."

"US?!" Smolder and Gallus demanded at the same time.

"Yeah...you are," Silverstream said.

"Acting like yak who's eaten too much chocolate," Yona added.

Ocellus's wings buzzed within her elytra. "If we don't give Cozy Glow a chance, then of course she isn't going to improve." She looked to Cozy. "I'm sorry, Cozy."

Cozy had been ready to launch into a tirade, but paused at that. "For what? You didn't do anything. You helped!"

Ocellus just smiled. "Well...I'm sorry anyway."

Cozy didn't get it.

Gallus and Smolder, meanwhile, looked between each other, sensing that the table was very much against them. Finally, Gallus sighed. "I'm sorry..." he droned.

"I'm not," Smolder said. She snorted some smoke. "But fine. I won't try to end your character."

Cozy considered. Smolder and Gallus HAD been jerks...but what was she going to do with the rest of her night? She was still under a strict curfew, after all, and couldn't wander around town without at least one of these six with her. Although she had a feeling that if she wanted to leave the table, then at least Silverstream, Yona, or Ocellus would join her. She almost grinned at that thought. It would probably cement the sour note of the night. The six of them would be divided over what Gallus and Smolder had done. She'd RUIN the night, which was no less than ANY of them deserved for stopping her and Tirek and Chrysalis...

...but it would be really, really boring just sitting in her room. And she did want to give this game a shot...

"Okay," Cozy said. "Fine, let's keep playing."

"Awesome," Sandbar said, and grinned, "your characters might want to make up in-character fast, because you can hear the malevolent chuckling of gremlins approaching..."

This is awesome!

Anticipation of Love

Ooh, they're playing the "Cadance has been prophesied
but not born yet" D&D? Niiice.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2