Positive Ponies 3,471 members · 1,440 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

Earlier, I ran into a Twitter post that had me thinking things a little differently. I was debating whether to show this here, so here it goes...

This is what it said:

"It’s suicide prevention month, so I feel bringing up toxic positivity is very important. Helping someone starts with understanding. Being sensitive to the negativity they feel can go a long way, and may even save a life."

True? We could all learn from this.

"Failure is not an option. For us, it's a goal." - Todd Howard

Comment posted by Foxhelm deleted Sep 13th, 2020

A lot of overly positive things can be harmful when you don't have the right mindset. That being said, trying to help is better than ignoring a problem or dismissing a person or situation.

We can't even really tell where someone is emotionally, so it's not realistic to know how and when something may be hurtful. That being said, it is not bad to help others. It can be more helpful to be mindful of how your words can be interpreted.

Just don't go overkill with it either. If you always caveat your help... if you always measure out your words, you end up sounding pedantic and fake. Give those in need of help your time, your attention, and strive to provide the tools and resources to lift them up so that they can stand on their own. Then stand with them as they face the world.

Depends on the context.

Needed this rn...

I can't tell you how many times my parents would just tell me to "get over it" and "just not be sad." It don't help and it only makes things worse. I like this post.

The first say reminds me of an over used line by the YouTuber Know as Just A Pancake.
This actually help in a way as I try to see if some of my friends are having trouble and occasionally I tell him some of the good things on there but my versions of them.

How fitting, suicide prevention month is the same month I got into a show (barely) known for preventing suicides. (My ninth ponyversary is five days away)

And I agree with the message. Sometimes I get the feeling people aren't sensitive enough to my negativity.

That's some good advice right there!

I feel so disconnected :facehoof:

I've hated it when those positive lines were used on me. Generally on something I've forgotten and the other person cannot conceive the notion that i wouldn't feel bad so i obviously need the cheering up. It sounds so weak. Like I'm so weak that i need those lines. Then they miss interpret my anger and go on and on about something. Then they look at me as if I'm insane when they realize I'm not making an issue of the issue.

Please just say "you'll get over it". I'll even accept a quick hug

Just because you think someone needs help with something doesn't mean they need help with that specific something.

I get it if you feel annoyed in those situations.

But you also need to tell people if you don’t want to talk about it, or that you are not in a place to listen. Of course people will try and help if they care about you. But if they have any life experience at all, they’ll understand if you don’t want that kind of help right now.

So just tell them, calmly, but with no need to apologize, that thank you but no thank you, you don’t want to talk or get help right now. They cannot know if you are in a receptive headspace or not if you don’t tell them.

I mean this in the most constructive way. This is what communication is about.

Somr of them might need a bit more work on being succinct if they want to match the short feel of the usual ones and not sound like a therapist, but yeah. Good idea.

Ha! :ajbemused:

I'll just tell them calmly;

"Don't bottle up your feelings. Just let them go."

on and on the deluge goes... as i keep telling them on and on...

But if they have any life experience at all, they’ll understand if you don’t want that kind of help right now.

you would think that...

there is only one truth; theirs. You have a problem. Any words that say otherwise is a lie. Don't tell lies... Now you will be punished for your lies. on and on it goes. You listen to your elders and your elders will always be older. "You'll always be my child".

the one thing I learned best;

"Lies are truth, truth is punished."

I did remember to tell you I felt disconnected right?

Daym. Sounds like a really sticky situation 😕

I hope you’ll find people who respect your space and your right to express your emotions the way you choose to and need to. I sincerely do. Not everybody is like that.

23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

Oi...:facehoof:
I knew something like this would happen.

I can say that it is not wrong.....

Is it wrong that I have said half of the "Instead Of Saying" list at various points in my life? :rainbowlaugh:

Comment posted by Foxhelm deleted Sep 14th, 2020

it's okay KM things like this are always touchy. You're doing fine.

Here's mine, or what I go by. (I am not making fun of Suicide nor am I joking.)
"I don't have the will to live, so I shouldn't make the effort to kill myself.
I don't care that it sounds depression as heck.
It's kept me going.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23