FiM Will Live on FOREVER! 1,282 members · 20,874 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Aloha, my friends.

This is your friendly Man Undercover here with another thread.

Today, at the request of JimmyHook19, as well as after seeing it more than once, I've decided to share with you guys my thoughts on the upcoming MLP series: "Pony Life".

First thing's first, click on the video below and you'll see exactly what I'm making this post for:

So, wanna know what I think of it?

😒Yay, I'd like to be honest, I wasn't impressed with it at all. I wouldn't say it's as bad as the last trailer promoting this series, but...it didn't get me interested in checking it out either.

I mean, seriously. The animation looked like it was done by pre-schoolers instead of professional artists. The designs of the ponies were hideous and appeared to be disturbingly small, and I'm saying that because the ponies look small in an unbelievable sort of way. Also, the settings were flat like they were made to be part of a board game, and not in the best way either. But, I will admit that Spike certainly looked good despite the fact I was only able to see him briefly, as his design was both faithful to his characterization in FiM and very appealing.

The humor that was shown throughout was flatly executed, if I may add. Yes, the jokes were amusing in some ways, but they weren't great enough to make me laugh or feel like I'm having a good time. Along with that, Allspark's decision to take everything in an off-the-wall kind of approach was too unusual for a show based on the My Little Pony brand, and the fact that they're unnecessarily focusing on the Main Six, Spike, and the princesses all over again instead of trying something new made everything feel like a cash grab.

If I said it once, I'll say it again.

Friendship is Magic has several characters outside of the Main Six that have the potential to be given their own series, and the Main Six, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Celestia, and Luna were given a satisfying conclusion that ended everything on a high note. So why can't Allspark make creatively-inspired stories for characters outside of the Main Six and CMC instead of pointlessly creating stuff through the money-talks style?

For instance, the Student Six are characters that I believe are absolutely worthy of having their own sequel spin-off, as they were introduced so late in the series that it's starting to feel like they were wasted in the long run because of Allspark always making future content focusing on the Main Six. The Pillars of Old are also characters that, in my opinion, hold strong potential to be the stars of their own series. The same with Princess Cadence, Shining Armor, Flurry Heart, and the characters from the 2017 movie. Heck, even Spike seems to hold a lot of potential for more stories to be made about him, and the Equestria Girls series hardly came to the sort of conclusion FiM ended with. Plus, there are even characters from previous MLP brands that haven't been updated and used yet, like Catrina the Cat Sorceress and Megan Williams.

All in all...the trailer did little to interest me in ever seeing this upcoming series, and it's become apparent to me that Allspark is wasting the potential of the MLP brand by making uninspired stuff like this to make some cash here and there. It makes me wonder how the cast from before agreed at all to reprise their roles for this, because this doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd want to be a part of.

It makes me wonder how the cast from before agreed at all to reprise their roles for this, because this doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd want to be a part of.

I think you've gotten the idea that the voice actors relate to the characters on a personal level comparable to how some fans relate to the characters. Either that or you've gotten the idea that the Voice Actors have grown to emulate their characters.
Working as a Voice Actor isn't the same as getting a stable 9 to 5 job. It's more like being part of the gig economy. Sometimes you have paying work and sometimes you don't. When the contract is done: you're out of a job until you get another slot.
It makes a lot of sense to take paying work when its offered when you could possibly go months without a paycheck.

Also, did you notice they made individual trailers for the Mane Six...except Applejack. REALLY?!

Yeah, I kinda agree with you on this one.
I'm thinking Hasbro and Allspark are trying to target kids more for this, because all of the humor and jokes seems like a blunt rip-off of Tom and Jerry. The no dialogue thing gets boring and uninteresting and I also think they are focusing to much on the main six. I was hoping G4.5 would at least keep the old animation of G4. This new one looks like a 6th grader project and really less professional like they used too.
This could of had so much potential if they maybe did slice of lives for all ponies with maybe some dialogue instead of occasional 'hmm's' and 'ahh's'. Maybe they could of had more of every pony than just the main six, because they can also get boring over time. The protagonists always do. I somehow find the background characters more interesting because we don't know much about them, but want too.

That's all I'm saying.

It's official, I am getting serious Teen Titans Go! vibes from this. Hopefully, the coronavirus would have put production on hold.

:rainbowhuh:

Wait a minute. COMING OUT SUMMER 2020?!

I'll wait and see personally.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Tell me about it.

I mean, seriously. The animation looked like it was done by pre-schoolers instead of professional artists.

I'm so glad to see that not only did you not get buried underneath a mound of downvotes but actually got upvotes. For me, the dealbreaker was the art from day one. Simply looking at it makes me pray for oblivion.

Honestly, there is a tiny part of me that finds this show to be... jarring, is the word. It could be the animation, the approach to more modern technology (FaceTime, for example), or something else, but I do feel an itch. The most likely theory is a combo of previously listed items, along with a few other things.

To be honest, don’t hold a grudge or hatred for Teen Titans Go like many others, but I’ve never seen the original Teen Titans. I’ve seen MLP G4. And what they are doing in Pony Life... doesn’t 100% agree with me. If I grew up in the Pony Life era, it may be different. If I got interested in Pony Life first, it would be different. But no. I watched G4.

I might watch this if I get the chance, as I also have slight interest, but I think we all know that this won’t come AS CLOSE to being as great as the original G4.

To me this looks like Teen Titans Go! and I'm already getting worried about the fate of the franchise.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11