bookplayer's 50 Questions 42 members · 25 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Latecomer
Group Admin

Like the zebras and the Diamond Dogs, buffalo were another early race forgotten by the show - some guessed they were effectively replaced by the less politically sensitive yaks, who made their debut a few episodes after the above date. Still, they came back in the end, and we fans never forgot about them... right?

Latecomer
Group Admin

An oddly specific final question even for season 4, but okay... I'm going to say that not many buffalo are that interested in Equestria. For starters, only some of the easternmost tribes like Thunderhooves' have had any significant contact with ponies beyond the odd wandering gold prospector. Of those tribes most are pretty committed to their traditional migration paths, which rules out detours to Equestria. And it would take a while for them to get there anyway, unless they squeezed into the belly of the iron beast, and few are that curious...

Still, some buffalo do come at least a short way east, to the young towns of the Westward Road, though few make it as far as Dodge Junction or Las Pegasus. The few who go further, into Equestria proper, are usually headed for Mustangia, where they are told ponies live almost the proper way, and which is held up by the settlers as a model for the peaceful development of the Mild West. Some return hopeful, others disappointed, and one or two who were outliers in their home herds did not return at all.

(Plus you get the odd random tourist in big cities. Ponies often mistake them for yaks.)

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

The real answer is meta, of course. :B

I figure it's more that buffalo are insular. They have their stampeding grounds out West, and that's where they aim to stay. Unlike actual American settlers, I expect the ponies will be rather accommodating to them after that initial kerfuffle in Appleloosa. But I don't see buffalo, even young buffalo, being too curious about exploring pony society beyond the frontier towns. They would definitely find the second part of that question true.

Buffalo really don't like the pony way of life. Buffalo are between donkeys and cows in that they are closer to nature and live more like animals. They have a sense of friendship and tradition on top of that, but both their tradition and their sense of friendship have grown out of their animal instincts as opposed to an intellectual growth independent of their species.

What PresentPerfect said. Plus: I just don't think there are all that many buffalo to begin with. (I'm not even sure why I think that. It's more of a hunch, a vague feeling.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5