bookplayer's 50 Questions 42 members · 25 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Latecomer
Group Admin

Like Twilight's other magical teacher, Zecora has always been mysterious, and her kind even more so. It's not even clear she even knows magic - but she does know many of the things that traditional "magicians" and priests in our world did that gave such an appearance.

SO what do you think? And what are your headcanons on her in general - why did she come halfway around the world to live in the Everfree? (You might want to cross-reference with the zebra-related Questions 38 and 39 when I write them.)

Latecomer
Group Admin

For starters, it's not magic in the sense that ponies have it - just making use of the magical properties present in nature*. Anycreature who knows the secret can do it** - and the corollary of this is that those secrets are kept rather ruthlessly. Over time, shamanic orders have devolved to passing down a handful of recipes that make them too useful to do without and enforcing their monopolies and "trademarks" with deadly impunity. Zecora was part of a heretical circle of shamans from different orders who met in secret to engage in what an Equestrian would recognise as scientific experimentation; but when she was revealed to be the daughter of a high-ranking member of her order, many of them took her for a spy, and it became prudent for her to depart for the other side of the world as soon as possible. It's not just for research purposes that she lives in a deadly no-pony's land even after she becomes welcome in town, either.

*Most shamans stick mainly to plants, non-essential body parts and the occasional animal sacrifice nowadays. Certainly, the days when Southern rulers fed their shamans a steady stream of criminals, malcontents and prisoners of war is a thing of the past - too much environmental damage. But sometimes you have a heretic to dispose of anyway - and there are always those curious as to see what can be done with a being as innately magical as an Equestrian pony.

**Except perhaps earthponies, at least those of the plant variety - their powers modify the innate magic too much, which is why all Zecora's ingredients are sourced from the Everfree. But while most shamans react to this by considering earthponies abominations to the natural order and Equestria a cursed and blighted land, Zecora is interested in studying their own herbalist traditions - she's devoured some books on the subject, but she would just love to meet Meadowbrook.

So in short, anypony could use the same kind of magic Zecora does, and she's even willing to share the new recipes she's created based on Everfree plants with those she feels capable of using them safely. But as for other shamans (only some of the individual orders are race-linked, it's less of a big deal down south), you won't find many in Equestria, and the one's back in their homelands have more limited (though still formidable) repertoires and should only be approached with care.

32. Is Zecora’s magic common among zebras?
No, Zeccora is a shaman/wise woman. It's a special course of study, not one most zebra follow.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

The real question, here in the post-show world, is "Is zebras common?" I really like Faust's line that Zecora came from the human world, there's so much to unpack. It doesn't mean that zebras don't exist, but they probably live on the other side of the world, cut off completely from Equestria and occasionally wondering just why the hell the sun and moon are acting up.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Huh? I haven't heard that one.

And I do figure they live, well, far away, and am glad the show didn't go there - but it can't be so far that nopony's written about them, because Twilight recognised her instantly.

Zecora's magic is rare among Zebras because it is very time consuming. Zebras see magic as not-very-practical. Knowledge of what plants are dangerous is seen as practical, but experimenting with them is not. Because zebras consider magic impractical, Zecora lives close to ponies to get the supplies she needs for her research. Zecora doesn't live among the ponies because she considers most of what they do impractical and frivolous.

Zecora doesn't do magic. Zecora does alchemy. (Which, admittedly, is a mixture of science and magic. Derp.)

Somehow, the more questions I read - including the comments below -, the more I get the impression that my versions tend to be less dramatic. The Zebrian Lands are far away, yes. I don't think she's in Equestria because she fled or was banished. She's here because, quite simply, she wants to be. She ventured around, studying, learning, discovering, and eventually just 'stumbled' upon little old Equestria. Ponies are mostly a welcoming bunch, but they are kinda weird, with their weather control and earth pony magic and whatnot. She hears about the Everfree and thinks to herself: Well, that sounds like a place more familiar to me than this groomed and cultivated land these folks live on. And the Everfree doesn't disappoint. Lots of new plants and flowers and blooms, new critters and obviously some fierce predators. A lot to learn, basically. And indeed, it feels more like home than those neatly arranged and domesticated hills and fields outside.

So, she makes herself comfortable and starts studying.

I think she aims to return home with all her findings. Eventually. Someday. But there's still so much to learn, and she made some very nice friends here... maybe she could stay just a couple years longer. That wouldn't hurt, would it? And they do seem to need her help from time to time. Strange how they don't seem to be able to deal with a 'wild' forest all that well.

I think her people might live nomadic, organized in tribes/families. Her little adventure in Equestria is more or less an educational journey. As for the question itself... learning alchemy is time consuming and not all that practical. Preparing potions takes time, and ingredients. The latter you must find and collect first. Or buy. And you can hardly carry around dozens of flasks without risking major mishaps, so you kind of need to know what you need, before you need it. All of this usually means that shamans exit the usual, traditional lifestyle and make permanent residences where they mostly focus on preparing stuff to help and heal, break curses, treat diseases, stuff like that. Or you know, curse enemies, 'cause that's always fun. (Evil shaman's go brrrrr.)

Apple Bloom proved that ponies can learn alchemy. Just takes time and effort. At the end of the day, every creature has a magical reserve. And that's more or less all it needs. (Read: Alchemy is another 'source' of magic. Which additionally requires understanding of basic chemistry/sciences.)

Latecomer
Group Admin

Somehow, the more questions I read - including the comments below -, the more I get the impression that my versions tend to be less dramatic.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a reality check. The simplest answer is often the correct one, after all.

I suppose. But then again, this is the realm of writing and storytelling. It's less about being 'right/correct', and more about entertainment. For most folks, anyway. I just care about the stories being told. Entertainment comes second. Maybe that's an issue.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Hmm... what's the distinction? Is a story not for entertainment?

Hmm... what's the distinction? Is a story not for entertainment?

Not necessarily, no. Stories can share similarities with living beings. They start out little, as mere ideas. Sparks in the heads and imaginations of others. They can be fed and groomed, they can grow up, they can develop in unexpected ways. They can become quite rebellious in their youths, and settle down once they grow older. They can die, if no one remembers them anymore. They can change, evolve, adapt.

I would like to say stories exist for their own sake, but that's just wishful thinking. They exist to teach, first and foremost. To communicate concepts and lessons. Which ones don't depend on the story, per se. It depends on the circumstances. Who is telling this story? Who is he telling the story to? When, where, why. Which details does he leave out, or switch up?

A story can be about entertainment. It can be designed to make you laugh. To get all those precious, fuzzy feelings in your heart. To question the society around you. To feel anger, and rightful retribution. A story is a tool to create, shape, grow and sooth emotions and lessons.

Even a fuzzy little piece can teach you something.

And just because you write the goriest, darkest story doesn't mean that a part of your audience doesn't take away the lesson that no matter how trying times might get, there will always be hope.

The same way your inspired fuzzy little piece might make someone bawl their eyes out as they remember how cold and lonely they feel.

I don't know. Calling it 'entertainment' might work. But it feels like it's doing stories a major disservice.

Latecomer
Group Admin

....wow. This sounds like it should be a blog or thread all it's own, really.

Hrm. I considered something like that, multiple times. But I rejected the idea again and again. I know myself to well, I would just start to ramble. Talking in circles, getting nowhere. Outlining the content wouldn't help much either. It's a philosophy I have and I expect that few others would ever share. Actually, I kind of expect to be looked at in a funny, non-charming way. In a way, I revere stories. Then again, I do like to call myself a Storyteller. And little else.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Well, the above is already written, so try copying it without adding.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14