Fan Club of A Man Undercover 52 members · 89 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Is there anybody besides me who’s having a hard time discerning how Holiday and Lofty are a lesbian couple, exactly?

I mean, they hardly did anything within “The Last Crusade” that helped them be implied as such, and it’s rather ironic that both Lofty and Scootaloo’s mom are Pegasi and both Lofty and Scootaloo’s dad are Earth ponies.

And yes, I know Michael Vogel, Josh Haber, and Nicole Dubuc commented that Holiday and Lofty are lesbians in their points of view, and I’m aware of the third book Vogel and Dubuc made for the Ponyville Mysteries series, but still...they only write for the show. They don’t live in it. And books and comics based on the series can easily be classified as non-canon by the show itself when something happens inside of it, like Sombra’s resurrection and portrayal in “The Beginning of the End”, which easily dispelled “Siege of the Crystal Empire” as non-canon.

So, what do you guys think?

I feel the same way. They could (quite plausibly) be the siblings of Scoot's parents, Aussie and Mane Whatserface.

I think their just friends.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

That’s actually what I often theorized them to be, kind of like with Carol Danvers and Maria Rambeau in “Captain Marvel”.

Honestly i feel they just said it to save face for the gay community. I dont think they really meant it.

I'm tempted to use similar arguments a friend of mine used to show how Fluttercord is canon (I'm sure you remember the conversation) due to there being hints in the actual show but, on the one hand, the show has had its fair share of (possibly unintentional) homoerotic subtext, if TvTropes is anything to go by:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic

In summary, I'm leaning on the "yeah, they're lesbians" side but the more explicit evidence could be easily brushed off as non-canon due to how fast and loose the show liked to play with the canonicity of its expanded universe materials.

At least they didn't do what JK Rowling did and straight-up announce their sexuality despite no hints in the work itself.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Did you find any hints at all about Holiday and Lofty being gay in the show itself?

Haven't seen the episode with them in it (shameful, I know) but I could watch whatever clips I could find and judge for myself.

I'll admit the thing that bothered me most about this episode is its infodump nature. Scootaloo, we suddenly learn out of nowhere, has parents. Why hasn't she mentioned it before this point? Especially given that dialogue in Parental Glideance implies she has no parents;

Scootaloo: Ya know, some ponies would dream of having parents like that.
Rainbow Dash: Yeah, right! Name one!
Scootaloo: [sighs] Me. Growing up, I never thought I'd be the best at anything, because nopony ever told me.

Could it be lazy writing?

Don't worry, I know that now. That or they'd stopped caring. "Stuff logic! Do it for the feels!"

Comment posted by The Blue EM2 deleted Apr 24th, 2020

It's a common trait of final seasons.

And this one fell for it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21