E.R.A 378 members · 339 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

Hi remember in other groups where I try to excuse Cozy’s punishment and excuse her as an irredeemable villain. My views have changed over the years.

This thread is not about Cozy reforming. I don’t care anymore, if the show doesn’t want her to reform, I’m cool with it. If the show wants to reform her, just make it believable. I don’t really want to see Chrysalis and Tirek reform, I think they work better as villains, but if there redemption is well written, I’m cool with it. An example of a really heinous villain redemption that I’m cool with is King Andrias from Amphibia (spoilers: he is abused by his father, the core and he misses his friends). I have a comment here that gives an idea: https://www.deviantart.com/doraeartdreams-aspy/art/Second-Chance-Of-Friendship-850135919

Now onto the main topic; Cozy (a child and a filly) being turned to stone for eternity. I was a gullible idiot for thinking that there gonna release her in the season 10 comics (after seeing a review on them, they look nauseatingly boring). But the show presented Cozy being turned to stone as forever, “Together forever. I can't think of anything that they would want less,” (Discord 2019). Personality I not only hate Cozy’s punishment, but I think it is disturbing and pandering to the fans who are tired of redemption.

This is also coming from a guy who finds Cozy to be an annoying, copycat, twist child villain who never liked her in the Legion of Doom. To the people who excuse her stone imprisonment, I would like to say that they could have use other punishments on this child villain. To give examples from kids media:
-Gideon (Gravity Falls) and Princess Morbucks (Powerpuff girls) have been sent to jail.
-Darla Dimple (Cats Don’t Dance) who I see compared to Cozy; punishment is as a janitor.

These child villains unlike other animated villains in kids media (like death for Maleficent, Scar, etc) never got the same punishment as them. Or at least not get a death like fate (being turned to stone for eternity). For freaking My Little Pony, a show for kids 5+ (known to be obsessed with redeeming villains like Discord, Starlight, etc) to give the kahoots to have a child turned to stone for eternity just disturbs me.

Also another thing I want to say is that a child being turned to stone for eternity in a kids show, is not only accepted but became popular to many fans! I know that there are toxic fans upset with Cozy’s punishment (every single fandom and hatedom has toxicity). But a lot of fans go out of their way to treat Cozy being irredeemable and being turned to stone as a fact. As well as present the people who do hold these views as retards (I don’t regret using this word) and treat stuff like Tv Tropes as fact. This is a good example: https://www.deviantart.com/duckyworth/status-update/FRIENDSHIP-IS-MAGIC-MAJOR-SPOILERS-880091607

Again this thread is not about reforming Cozy, I don’t care about it. It’s about my thoughts on a child being turned to stone for eternity.

My problem with Cozy Glow is that we don't know anything about her that even begins to explain how or when she became this "ireedeemable monster". And she is not given any chance to plead her case either time she is punished even though there are so many questions about how she could do what she did or believe what she believed. Cozy should've been given a trial to determine whether she truly was a monster beyond salvation. I mean, do we even know if she has parents or legal guardians?

The closest answer to that we're going to get is Jim Miller saying "What parents?"

She is a pyschopathic sociopath. If you seen any documentary of children that wwre such they don't get better when they grow up. Theh get worse, and smarter. Better that she stays as a pidgeon bathroom.

Yeah, I really didn't like this. Not because it's disturbing or unwarranted, but because it's MLP. If this were any other media, I wouldn't bat an eye. And if it were 40k, I'd think they were too soft.

So let's keep the Grimdark Grimdark, and the noblebright noblebright. Ok? Ok.

7714184 Is she really? Where did she even get the idea that friendship literally translates into power, or get in contact with Tirek to gain said power? She attended Twilight's School of Friendship, so where did she learn about such things and manage to set everything into motion? For the record, does she not have parents or legal guardians? Wouldn't they have to sign off for her to attend? And if she forged a signature, how could someone as organized as Twilight Sparkle overlook it for all that time?

And in regards to Season 9, she was busted out and made to work alongside two other villains with no oversight. Of course she was going to be evil when those were the only ones she interacted with and there is no one else around to show her a different way. And even then, she seemed worried about the windigos, which it's hard to imagine a pyschopath or sociopath having concern about that.

Called self preservation. Even they have it unless they are also suicidal.

Well if you think about how the Magic of Friendship was used. It defeated Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, King Sombra, Tirek, Sunset Shimmer, The Dazzlings, Midnight Sparkle, & Cozy Glow and never failed or was overpowered by their opponents. Someone would view it as power as anyone is free to see and think what it is despite what Twilight say about it. I mean there isn't a law or decree saying Friendship is only magic.

7714205 Maybe, but that doesn't mean it literally translates into power or that Cozy's view of it is correct. That's not unlike Starlight's belief about friendship, or even Neighsay's belief that other creatures could weaponize friendship against them.

Where did she even get the idea that friendship literally translates into power, or get in contact with Tirek to gain said power? She attended Twilight's School of Friendship

Consider the possibility that she got her bad ideas from her untrained teachers working from an unaccredited curriculum.

7714312 So, why is she the only one who took things to that extreme? And how did she manage to avoid detection by any of them or by any of the other students? To say nothing of how she could've learned about the complicated ritual or even how to steal the artifacts needed for it without being caught. Too many coincidences that went unexplained happened in order for Cozy Glow to be a threat, too many things needed explaining that went unexplained.

How can you be so certain she's a complete psychopath/sociopath when there's a scene in the show where she straight up admits that genuinely working with Tirek and Chrysalis "Felt better somehow" and considered the possibility of genuine friendship? This implies she's capable of being affected by friendship. She's certainly very low on empathy and has a sadistic, but I don't really see how that's meaningfully any different than how Discord was prior to Fluttershy getting her hooves on him too.

Also, how exactly does it fit with the show and it's themes to not only have a supposedly irredeemable child villain, but to have the cast give up on her and treat her like said irredeemable villain, giving her the harshest punishments they can before even attempting to actually help or understand her to see if she's truly beyond saving? All when they'd helped and reformed similarly bad villains before who were actually adults. How does that fit?

The reason why people dislike Cozy Glow’s treatment compared to other young villains from other shows all boils down to “Tone” and the audiences own preconceptions for how the world that these characters: Heroes and Villains alike are supposed to operate in.

Powerpuff Girls operates on Superhero Logic; meaning that “Good Always Triumphs Over Evil No Matter What.” A good example of how the show operates is presented in character examples like their mundane next-door neighbor Harold Smith who turned into a Supervillain just because he was absolutely bored of being just a normal guy and wanted to gain the admiration and respect that supervillains like Mojo Jojo has. Thing is, unlike with other Supervillains Harold is absolutely flimsier than the Amoeba Boys that he holds Professor Utonium hostage at a family dinner with a Raygun (in-reality: a gussied-up Hairdryer). When he finally gets arrested and thrown in jail for just a week; his family joins in on the supervillainy schtick due to how Harolds’ Wife blames the Powerpuff Girls for ruining the dinner party and getting her husband sent to jail, while their own kids come up with extremely petty reasons to turn to villainy in order to blame the Powerpuff Girls (such as their young daughter Julie having her Jacks getting lost by them). And much like with Harold before, The Smiths turning into Villains is not supposed to be treated seriously when they eventually all get thrown into jail. In another episode, a popular clown in Townsville known as Rainbow The Clown ends up accidentally getting doused by a tanker of bleach which causes all the color from his uniform to disappear as he transforms into a villain named Mister Mime where he now has the power to remove both Sound and Color from any object or person that he touches; eventually his attacks are reversed by The Power Of Rock and he is restored to normal; however the Powerpuff Girls still beat up the now-restored Rainbow before tossing him into jail; however Rainbow shows up again much later at The Powerpuff Girls Birthday Party Episode as a guest who has no animosity towards the girls for what had happened.
That was several examples of the kind of world and logic that Powerpuff Girls operates on.

I am not at all familiar with Cat’s Don’t Dance, but I am familiar with Gravity Falls enough to offer up an explanation as to Gideon Gleeful getting thrown into prison for his actions; which arguably in every possible category is very much warranted for what he did: spying on the towns’ residents in a blatant violation of privacy, using technology to terrorize stalk and attack other minors and individuals, and as shown from his homelife he has bullied his father and potentially traumatized his mother into a catatonic state: all of which we the audience were made aware of, which showed the twisted reality to a paranormal world that we are exploring in the town of Gravity Falls, and arguably is small potatoes compared to what is happening in The Northwest Household with how Pacifica underwent psychological conditioning via Pavlovian means to be subservient to her father... really dark stuff.

The reason why so many of us really take offense to Cozy Glows’ actions stems from how previous villains seemed to have done far more worse things to not only the heroes, to Ponyville, or to Equestria as a whole: and managed to earn forgiveness from the community and reacceptance so many other times. Meanwhile the worst that Cozy had attempted was trying to get rid of Magic and control The School of Friendship after imprisoning The Mane Six in Tartarus with Tirek whom she was working with at the time. We honestly do not know much else about Cozy Glows’ Background as pointed out so many other times so there’s no way we could try using the same judgement methods employed against Gideon Gleeful in Gravity Falls, nor is this a simple show with simple Good Vs. Evil Themes in it like it was with Powerpuff Girls due to how nuanced and central the themes of Redemption and Forgiveness are prevalent throughout the show. Making Cozy Glow a villain like she was in Seasons 8-9 basically destroyed the very premise that Friendship Is Magic was originally built on, and it’s the reason why so many of us are up in arms after all this time regarding Cozy’s treatment.

How did Starlight Glimmer learn a spell on her own that it took Twilight and the Elements of Harmony to master?:applejackunsure:

Where do Discord's powers come from and why is it he can apparently break the setting and the element welders, but it never occurs to him to simply disappear them?:rainbowderp:

Why didn't Celestia tell Twilight why it was important for her to make friends from the start?

Far too much had to be explained in the show from it's very beginning.:facehoof:

Honestly most of the stuff you mentioned with Cozy Glow wasn't really the most baffling part of her story if we're being honest.:ajsleepy:

I'm still trying to figure out where she got the key to Tarturas and why it was so bizarrely designed.

I mean I know that season 8 loved comedy, but seriously why?:unsuresweetie:

My problem isn't the simple fact that Cozy was never reformed so much that:

a. She was put in a maximum-security prison despite her (unlike, say, Tirek) not having any fancy powers that would necessitate that - there's no reason a plain old juvenile detention center couldn't hold her.

a. She was tossed into said prison (and subsequently turned to stone) without any real attempt at rehabilitation. If and how that might have been possible has been the subject of countless debates, but after all the villains that did get reformed, it was wildly out of character for Twilight not to at least give it a shot.

You DO realize that this show basically follows a watered-down “Mystery Box” Rule, right? There’s always been so many unanswered questions throughout every season starting back with the very first season. We still have no idea as to what sort of culture the Alicorn Tribe has going for them due to the fact that Celestia and Lunas’ backstory isn’t known before they met with Starswirl the Bearded, and that was only revealed in a novel.

True. That doesn't change the fact that some of the answers are really contrived, as is usual for a show following the "Mystery Box Rule".

They should have used Lee Child’s Cake Formula: “How Do You Make Your Family Hungry? You Make Them Wait Four Hours For Dinner.”

Essentially, the questions that the Mystery Box sets up but fails to answer, are ultimately answered in the Cake Formula after enticing the audience with the questions that drew them in in the first place.

I'll take your word for it, since I don't know what you are talking about.

Honestly I'm at that stage where I'd settle for simpler answers instead.

Not every story should need a strategy guide to understand the basic story, even if some bits are more technical than others.

Also, if they did attempt to reform the others, Chrissy's reformation would have to mirror Vegeta's.

Which Vegeta are we talking about here? The Z Classic Vegeta, The DBSuper Vegeta, or The TFS Vegeta?

Because I’m all for a sprinkling of Lanipator.

Hi guys I want to just let you know that this thread is about Cozy’s punishment being turned to stone for eternity. Not if she can redeem or not.

She got what she deserved.

Technically less than she deserved for attacking the ruling body.

The state isn't a person, it's an institution, we made it up.

If Starlight is Tien in this scenario, alll the yes.

Personally I think that Trixie would fall under the Tien category due to how much she had slowly been phased out and overshadowed by other characters when she was Twilights original rival and would have been a Pony more-likely to become Twilights’ Apprentice had Starlight not entered the picture.

Fair enough, and would definitely throw that kinda shade.

I know this was made weeks ago. But what does this have to do about the topic in this thread.

Just a conversation between nerds.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29