My Little Reviews & Feedback 502 members · 852 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Firefoxino
Group Contributor
Eisohel
Or, the late night ramblings of a lonely and despondent mare, waiting for the sun to rise again.
The Red Parade · 2.4k words  ·  12  3 · 321 views

Isohel is a cozy little story centered around Fiddlestick, a simple farm pony. The story starts with the recollection of how her days were so much better before changes happened in her life. It will be revealed that her friends all went away from their native city and in the end stopped communicating with each other.

At first they all sent letters but those stopped coming after a time, this was when Fiddlestick sarted to really being affected by it, she felt abandoned possibly rejected and so she took refuge in her only remaining friend A. K. Yearling, they remained together for some more time but then Yearling decided to leave as well. That was the so called last nail in the coffin for Fiddlestick.

The news of Yearling leaving broke Fiddlestick's heart to a point where her normal morning lost everything that made it a normal good morning. Just like the others, the letters arrived for a time, then they stopped and she felt betrayed and abandoned all over again this time though she didn't have any friend to stay with.

Her issue got to the point that she started talking with an imaginary Yearling to find a solution or a suggestion, Fiddlestick just couldn't find in herself what to do with her life, she points her hoof to herself, her friends and the city, in the end though it was her that couldn't handle the change.

But not everything is lost, this morning she came to a realization, that maybe change is just what happens sometimes and that remaining stuck in the past won't help. She imagine her life as a wanderer as a nomad, but then she decides against it, she instead look out at how the city truly lives and that maybe change is not that drastic, but just something different to do at morning. Meeting new ponies and encountering new faces,

And nothing would change, but everything would be different. Because it was the same town, with the same streets and the same ponies. But she would change. And that would make everything different.

So what is there to say? This fic came out as an introspective thought of a depressed pony that couldn't handle the changes that were happening around her closing in herself. Although the theme may seem dark and grey with no escape the MC managed to find the light at the end of the tunnel in the end gifting the readers with a good ending.

The fic really shows how a person could fall into the depths of sadness without even wanting to, Fiddlestick feels abandoned by her firends who all left her behind, and she couldn't do nothing but cry and feel that her own morning was not the same anymore, fortunately the issue will be solved with the help of her own reasoning and some philosophy from Yearling.

Fiddlestick sees herself as a background pony that has no real say in life, and that's what she hates, the impossibility of being different, but in the end she will feel and act differently, she stops thinking of herself as a background pony of someone else story and instead being the main character of her own life, which sìgives her the hope and determination she needed.

The second half of the story really makes you feel hopeful for her, she takes change at heart and try to make a true difference, she exaggerate at first but she was on a good track, it shows how she finally exited her own well of sadness and peaked out, it is a start for her, and to some it may seem easy but for her it must have been the realization of a lifetime.

This is for the author, you did great, you could have maybe made it a bit longer to make the reader interact more with the MC making them really feel what she was feeling, I am sure though that if anyone with a porblem similar to hers read your story you would have hit home with deadly accuracy so, good work on that. The usage of Isohel and her connection with the sun as her focal pint of the morings really is a touch of class and expertise in writing I applaud you, for those who don't know Isohel is a line on a map connecting places with an equal period of sunshine, this really makes her connection to the sunrise and how it made her morning HER morning feel all the more incredible. Absolutely worthy of praise.

Rating

Idea: 7/10 The core of this fic is set in stone on what it wanted to convey, unfortunately the topic of abandonment and depression is not uncommon and so aside from the possibility of this being a some sort of background for Yearling I can't say the idea is te absolute top of originality in the site. What I can say though is that the fact that it gives such introspection really helps with it.

Execution 9/10 The fic is executed with purpouse and focus, the repetiotions may sway off some readers but in my opinion they serve well in characterizing Fiddlestick, who was so set in her ways she couldn't see change as something different than a betrayal. The fic could have been a little more fleshed out with some more context to help the reader getting along with Fiddlestick's emotions.

Grammar and writing: 9/10 It could have used some more description in my honest opinion, aside from that the grammar is on point and the accents makes it better to feel what Fiddlestick is feeling.

Final score 8.3/10 A good fic one that I suggest the author to look at and possibly by using my suggestion to tinker and tweak to make it a real masterpiece. The title of the fic though gives you half a point extra because it is just that good in its implication so.
8.8/10 Good work!

Thanks for the review! I wasn’t even expecting anyone to catch what I did with the title. I agree with pretty much everything you said, so I’ve got some stuff to work with. Thanks again!

Firefoxino
Group Contributor

my pleasure

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3