My Little Reviews & Feedback 502 members · 852 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
The Bricklayer
Group Contributor

Now, this one was a nice little piece. Okay, I know Cyonix had already reviewed this fic as his introduction, but I admit I probably would have reviewed it earlier had I not been so lazy. 

Now, this fic itself does cover some surprisingly deep subjects, such as identity issues and fear of the past. Pharynx plays a startling role here, as the older brother type figure to Ocellus. Now, grumpy and rude as he is, the two play off each other quite well.

He even offers up a book that was published during Queen Chrysalis’s run to Ocellus, saying to learn from the past even how bad it might have been. Now, this is hugely relevant especially in today's world, as the old saying goes ‘those who forget history are doomed to repeat it’. There’s this very subtle implication that Ocellus and possibly some of the older changelings who suffered under Chrysalis’ rule are actively trying to forget about all of this. 

It does make you ask a few deep questions really, and for that, I actually applaud this fic. It’s a very sweet piece, giving us two points of view. One of Ocellus, who is afraid of the past and yet wants to learn from the School and Princess Twilight, and one of Pharynx whom in his case remembers the past but could actually care less about the School. It’s this last line that really sticks out to me.

She was more confident than ever, the changeling got ready for class. She was especially excited to share what she learned with her dearest friends.

Warmed my heart. This is like Senko-San levels of diabetes. All in all, this isn’t a bad piece really and deserves at the very least a look or two. Characterization is spot on, and while there are a few grammar errors it’s nothing really distracting/egregious.

8/10

Now this next piece, well… it’s something of a niche thing. A widget story really. To be brutally honest, it’s probably only going to appeal to you if you’re a Lego Movie fan and well… that’s kinda a turn-off. The major question I have to ask is… why?

Just why cross over with the Lego Movie when this fic could easily be done with any post-apocalyptic setting.

That being said, there are a few saving graces. For one, Pinkie is… Pinkie. It’s amazing how even in the collapse of society she can stay upbeat and give everyone hope for a new tomorrow. Speaks volumes about her character.

Mind you, there are a few other oddities, such as random crossovers with Transformers and other Hasbro properties, some of which I do admit would take a keen eye to catch. And that is this fic’s biggest problem. I get it was written for fun, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s still again a widget piece.

6/10

EGood Morning, Apocalypseburg!
While waiting for their friends to return, Sunset Shimmer and Pinkie Pie reflect on the current state of their new home; Apocalypseburg.
FourShadow · 3.4k words  ·  18  2 · 876 views
TReflections
A small oneshot story about discovering who you truly are, through Ocellus's prospective.
Nailah · 3.1k words  ·  75  3 · 3.2k views

Thank you Brick. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I can only improve from here.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2