Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Tidal
Group Admin

Hello everyone!

It looks like the time has finally arrived! After a long judging process the winners have been decided! I will post a brief overall reviews of the stories without spoiling anything, so get ready! Without too much delay, lets get right into it.

1st Place

Shot Through The Heart

This story was praised heavily for its great opening and excellent choreography between the hero and villain of the story. Filled with great moments of dialogue throughout and an overall great portrayal of the main characters and side characters in the story. The feedback given was about some pacing issues that we believe wouldn't have been an issue if there wasn't a word limit. One of the biggest strengths of this story would be the authors ability to make you care for our antagonist and one of our judges even admitted it has one of the best endings ever! Congrats to Chaospaladin! You earned it!

2nd Place

Our Second place story was a filled with heavy and great lore created by the author for our characters in the likes of Celestia, Luna, and Nightmare Moon, Daybreaker. This story was backed by a strong assortment of background characters that were engaging and a strong narration style that makes you want to keep reading until the end There was some feedback around Starlight's involvement and her importance, and an ask for a bit of clarity or fleshing out Daybreaker's logic, but the biggest form of feedback was towards the grammar. Words throughout the story felt missing, and some sentences were a bit difficult to read. This got better as the story progressed, and at the end we were left with a very engaging story rich with great headcannon that took great advantage of the word count and was all in all a huge enjoyment to read! Congrats Meridian Prime!

3rd Place

The final entry is a wonderful fic following Princess Cadence and Chrysalis. I cant say too much without revealing a few of the better plot points so I will say this: RPB features a creative relationship between our characters and a great lead in to the canon. The characters were pretty spot on and did a great job making you empathize with the characters using the world limit pretty well. There were a few feedback points mainly around the grammar and could've used a few look overs by the editor. The POV jumps was a bit hard to keep up with who exactly we were following at that moment. Otherwise its a great story that needs a little sprucing up but a great story nonetheless. Congrats Darkstarling!

I want to thank everyone who participated and once again extend my apologies for the long delay between both updates, and the announcement. Famous and the rest of the judges really appreciate the effort you put in and believe that contests like these bring out some of the best fics we've read. If any other contests spring up in the future we look forward to seeing you again. Thanks again to everyone who participated! Happy Thanksgiving!

-Tidal

Err, guys, you misspelt my name. And... the name of my story. And your description appears to be of someone else's entry... :fluttershysad:

Nah, I'm just kidding. Congrats to the winners; and thanks for running this contest, judges! I had a lot of fun. :twistnerd:

JackRipper

Maybe next time I'll participate and give Chaospaladin some competition. :raritywink:

Sigh. I knew making a comedy starring Flurry Heart wouldn't work. Eh, I had fun though.

Wow! I'm astonished the winner was a story I hadn't read yet. Maybe it's time to change that? :pinkiehappy:

However, I do think it's strange that there were two incest stories for the contest. That does seem like something rules would usually try ensure doesn't happen.

I'm still in disbelief I placed in this. Really, really happy disbelief. :pinkiehappy:

Congratulations to both first place and third - I loved your stories. Congratulations also to everyone else in the contest for writing some bloody good stories. I didn't think I stood a chance with the competition I had!

I'm assuming that there'll be more detailed feedback? So I'll wait to see that to respond fully, and simply say that the criticism of grammar is absolutely warranted - most of it was not only unedited but written as a mad dash at about 4:30AM. I definitely need to give it a bit of a polish now the contest is over!

I'm still stunned that I got first. Just overjoyed and... man, what an honor!

Congrats to Meridian and Darkstarling for placing! I'm already looking forward to the next contest. Gotta thank the judges for hosting this contest, and especially thank Midnight Quill, Peerimagination and Setokaiva for helping me make this possible. Couldn't have done it without them.

Welp, back to more writing/shenanigans! I'll see you all in the next epic contest!

Congratulations everyone! There were so many great stories here, I had a lot of fun writing and reading everyone else’s. Plus it got me my first popular finished story, so woo! I’m looking forward to the next contest.

Glad the wait is over so I can stop stressing. I am curious about the feedback for the others and my own if possible. I would like to see what I need to improve on if possible.

I assume judging was as difficult as ever?

Congrats to the winners:

And thanks to the contest organizers. I've always wanted to write a story with Flim and Flam in it, but I could never come up with an idea that interested me till I read the prompt here.

Mike

I would also be interested in a PM on the general standing/critique of my entry if you have the time to PM me on it. Congrats all, though!

Lucky Seven
Group Admin

If you'd like, here is the full review I wrote for your story :)

Grammar & Style - 4/5
Creativity / Originality of Prompt - 8/10
Characterization - 8/8
Impact - 10/10
Pacing - 4/5

First of all, awesome choice for the story’s title. This story is about what happens after a fight between Twilight and Chrysalis ends in a most unexpected manner. It’s not just about Chrysalis’ reformation, but manages to also tell a good story about Twilight’s inner doubts. Now, onto the juicy bits.

Man, oh man, did the intro draw me in. Everything from the choreography of the fight between Chrysalis and Twilight, right down to their lines of dialogue, was a picture perfect portrayal of the enmity these two share for one another. The most amazing part, though?

It was almost all uphill from there.

Getting the pacing down in a story that’s limited on word count is a tall task, especially when it has to tell an all-encompassing story like this one. The author did what they could to manage that, but some of the time skips were a bit jolting, and I didn’t realize any time had been skipped until I went back and checked. All in all, not a bad job managing it.

The characters were all written well, and that definitely helped add to the impact this story had on me. I genuinely cared about Chrysalis, and wanted to see her adapt to the new lifestyle Twilight had laid out for her. The side characters, being Thorax, Starlight, and Spike, were well-represented. All this helped to add to the story’s believability.

I won’t spoil the ending, because it’s actually one of the best I’ve ever read. Instead, I’ll end this review by saying that you need to go read this story. Sure, it’s not perfect, and there are faults to be found in it, but that’s only if you really go digging.

Total Score - 34/38

Really appreciate the detailed feedback. Always gives me the fuzzies. Thanks! :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14