8 Bit Ponies 5 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Loganberry
Group Admin

Inspired by palelordhiphis's Apple ][ post, I thought I'd dig up a few of the MLP songs I converted to play on the BBC Micro a few years back. I've very recently started getting back into this, so there may be a few more at a later date. For now, though, here are three of my more popular conversions: a fairly straight adaptation of "Smile", a slightly iffy version of the "Cutie Mark Crusaders Theme" and a rather silly surf-style version of "Make a Wish":

The first two of these were based (with permission) on versions from the now-dead "Everypony Sings" website, which gave me a head start as I could simply adapt existing sheet music to fit the BBC's three-channel sound chip. "Make a Wish" is the odd one out: that was transcribed entirely by ear by me, and the surf-style accompaniment is my own creation.

The BBC Micro ("Beeb") has fairly good sound capabilities for an 8-bit computer. The range of features is not as impressive as those of the Commodore 64, which in more skilled hands than mine was the music king of 8-bit computers. On the other hoof, the Beeb had a vastly superior and considerably faster BASIC. In fact, the programs that produced these tunes are 100% BASIC -- no POKE statements here! Tempo has to be approximated (realistically, it's a case of 100 or 150) but it's close enough for these songs.

The cover images for each song are screenshots from the show run through a very useful program called "BBC Micro Image Converter" which does pretty much what it says on the tin. As such, the pictures are all displayable on a genuine BBC Micro. (I know, as I own one!)

palelordhiphis
Group Admin

These are a lot of fun :)

Loganberry
Group Admin

Thanks! I am working on another one, though there's a lot else going on (not bad, just busy) so progress is slow. It'll happen eventually, though. :)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3