Uncommon Dazzling Ships 269 members · 441 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

Each month we will be spotlighting one pairing, or suggesting a writing prompt. As you may have seen on the main page, this month's area of focus is Aria x Flash.

Aria Blaze, it's probably fair to say, has a general distaste for humanity. Flash Sentry is so used to disdain from just about everyone that he might be one of the few people who wouldn't take Aria's personally. Or at least wouldn't let it stop him thinking he was still in there with a shot. Flash is... complicated to talk about, given his meta-relationship with the fandom. He started out as prince charming, mostly one-dimensional in his appeal but still a bit charming. If not a bit princely. Then in Rainbow Rocks most of his moments are when possessed, and the bite that gives him suggests he has a bit more personality. And mostly since then he's been a distant supporting character, rarely given a spotlight outside of being awkward given his history with the mane cast.

Time, I would propose, has given Flash a pretty clear idea that he'll never be the star of the show. Or even the romantic lead. Prince charming is far beyond him, and he knows it. But between Sunset, Pri-Twi and Sci-Twi, he does seem drawn to lead characters, so we can probably say he has a thing for charismatic women. That taste is unlikely to have gone away. But maybe he's resigned himself to following after them rather than trying to lead. Keeping up with them if he's lucky.

And Aria is a woman who knows what she's doing. There is a deliberateness to her, even when acting spontaneously, like she means everything she does just as much as she means everything she says. People can take it or leave it, but she won't apologise for it. This, I think, is something Flash would be drawn to like a very large magnet indeed. And then dream of spending the rest of his life as the boyfriend trailing along after her, carrying the shopping bags, paying the rent and smoothing things over with his parents when not actively bailing her out of custody or physically dragging her away from a drunken brawl with a "Leave it, babe, he's not worth it."

What would someone who broke up with Sunset for being overly evil see in someone as hostile as Aria? What might appeal to someone as disruptive as Aria in someone as passive and peacekeeping as Flash? Here's a well-regarded sample of the ship, but we need you to write more! Maybe Aria recognises that, while Flash with his guitar is about as rock and roll as non-alcoholic beer, it's at least a step up on everyone else at CHS, and so one lunchtime she grabs his guitar off him and demonstrates how to play it properly, after which he begs her for weekly lessons. Maybe Aria helps Flash figure out where he went wrong with Sunset and Twilight, by which she means hurling truth bombs at him across the packed classroom because she's tired of his moping, only for Flash's affections to change targets. Maybe Aria needs a break from Sonata for a few weeks but just can't bring herself to adult, so turns up at Flash's door and announces she's crashing there until the idea of seeing Sonata again seems more palatable than staying with him a minute longer. Maybe Flash falls in love with the girl at the rock show.

Artwork provided by brickercupmasterx3, with the piece further up by little-miss-oshawott, who gives Aria really cool hair.

If this is a ship you like the sound of, this thread is probably a good place to discuss it. I joined this group not just to see all the unusual siren ships in one place, but to encourage others to write more of them, so if you're thinking of writing an Aria x Flash story or have one in the works already, by all means let us know in the thread below. Or just discuss the ship: what you like about it and why, what problems you've encountered with it before, what scenarios you can envision for the two of them. Just talking about it like that can inspire others with new story ideas, some of which might get written down, at which point we all benefit :twilightsmile:

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

7450084 I think I remember you saying something similar on Sonata and Flash, too. Is it a general Flash thing?

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

7450320 Ah, sorry, I had it in my head that it was you who downvoted that one, but I don't know why I thought that. I would definitely say Flash x Sonata is the better one, compared to Flash x Aria.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5