Uncommon Dazzling Ships 271 members · 441 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

Each month we will be spotlighting one pairing, or suggesting a writing prompt. As you may have seen on the main page, this month's area of focus is Adagio x Trixie.

Look at that! Not just fan art or a still where characters happen to be looking at each other for a split-second with half-lidded eyes, but a genuine sequence straight out of Rainbow Rocks! February is a special month for shipping fans, and so this month we're celebrating that by focusing on the closest thing there is to a canon siren ship! That's right SunDagio, off you trot, we've found another spotlight-hogging fan-favourite former villain, only with Trixie there's an actual reason Adagio might put the moves on her, and canon backs that up!

What would a charismatic showmare like Trixie, at home on the stage and bitterly opposed to the Rainbooms, possibly see in Adagio? What would a charismatic showmare like Adagio, at home on the stage and bitterly opposed to the Rainbooms, possibly see in Trixie? Here's a well-regarded sample of the ship (and the story that made me like Trixie as a character, incidentally), but we need you to write more! Maybe Trixie is tired of playing second fiddle to the Rainbooms, and seeks out Adagio several years after Rainbow Rocks to help bring their rivals down. Maybe Adagio rewards a pawn well-used, who at least carried out her bit of the plan just as intended. Maybe no one will speak to the sirens after their defeat except the loudmouth magician no one else wants to talk to anyway. Or maybe Adagio ensnares Trixie as a decoy for her next scheme, making sure all eyes will be on Trixie as Adagio fires up the Bloodsphere.

Artwork credits - both are canon screenshots, one with text added! Which feels so good to say :pinkiehappy:

If this is a ship you like the sound of, this thread is probably a good place to discuss it. I joined this group not just to see all the unusual siren ships in one place, but to encourage others to write more of them, so if you're thinking of writing an Adagio x Trixie story or have one in the works already, by all means let us know in the thread below. Or just discuss the ship: what you like about it and why, what problems you've encountered with it before, what scenarios you can envision for the two of them. Just talking about it like that can inspire others with new story ideas, some of which might get written down, at which point we all benefit :twilightsmile:

I do have a TriDagio (never saw a ship name for these two that seemed to stick universally, which might be part of why it's so perplexingly rare. :twilightoops:) story in mind, but as it's one of those semi-crossover things (EQG characters in the shoes of the crossing IP, no one from the original actually making an appearance) with Yandere Simulator, I don't think I'd be able to do a proper job of it until the game is finished (which looks like it'll be at least a couple more years).

Part of it is that I'd like to be able to include references/in-jokes about the source material that those who play the game/watch Let's Plays of it will be able to recognize and hopefully at least smile at, a much bigger part is that there are things I'd like to know about two of the most important characters and, while I could just make something up, doing so would mean that I was either straying further than I'd like from the source material if I get it wrong (at which point, it might as well not even be called a crossover anymore, which grows more and more likely the less I know about the completed product), and if I actually get it right, I'd be spoiling the important plot details of the game.

I hope that makes sense. :derpyderp2:

A relationship where it is possible for the two to argue that "I am the bigger narcissist," and have it be somewhat in character.

A bit more seriously, that does tie into an issue the two would have should they be dating. One that could be entertaining if done right. Both Adagio and Trixie are somewhat egotistical and have certain expectations. And while both are capable of taking care of themselves, it seems that in a relationship, they would expect the potential romantic partner to take the lead. They both would expect the other to be the one to ask them out, plan the date, present them with gifts and pick them up. All of that. So just imagine that Adagio and Trixie are both flirting and dropping hints, but neither of them are willing to be the one who actually asks the other out on a date.

Ooo, I've been excited for this one! EQG Trixie's grown on me quite a bit with her appearance in Forgotten Friendship, and she's definitely someone with a lot of qualities Adagio might appreciate. There... might almost be too many similarities for me to see it working (They both think they're the best thing on the planet, but clearly only one of them's correct, and I'm not sure there'd be a way for them to reconcile that clash of narcissism). And when Adagio's spent her whole life revolving around the application of actual, supernatural, for realsies magic, I could see her being a bit disdainful of how Trixie slaps the same label on something quite a bit less otherworldly and beautiful.

That being said, Trixie's got a high tolerance for mischief, compared to many other characters, so I could see her getting along fairly well with a not-too-reformed-at-all-Adagio (Best Adagio, in other words). It's a pity Forgotten Friendship had Trixie getting on well with Sunset, in a more slice-of-life-ish story I could see the two of them collaborating on some pretty intricate revenge schemes. I could even see Trixie seeking her out post-battle to try to lend a helping hand, since she might empathize with someone who desperately belongs on a stage in front of a cheering crowd.

Is there a reason you couldn't make something up but put a 'possible spoilers' warning on it or something like that? If you loosely follow the plot of the game (And I assume you would, to an extent, else it wouldn't be much of a crossover?), presumably there'd be a risk of spoiling the game anyway, if parts of the story are sort of analogous to parts of the game.

Is there a reason you couldn't make something up but put a 'possible spoilers' warning on it or something like that? If you loosely follow the plot of the game (And I assume you would, to an extent, else it wouldn't be much of a crossover?), presumably there'd be a risk of spoiling the game anyway, if parts of the story are sort of analogous to parts of the game.

Yes.

doing so would mean that I was either straying further than I'd like from the source material if I get it wrong (at which point, it might as well not even be called a crossover anymore, which grows more and more likely the less I know about the completed product), and if I actually get it right, I'd be spoiling the important plot details of the game.

My worry isn't just spoiling what may come (if anyone even remembers my story by the time YanSim comes out), it's having the story feel like a cheap, off-brand imitation rather than something written by one actually familiar with the source material. To put that a little differently, I think writing the story now would be like trying to write a fic about the characters of any of the EQG movies while only having seen the trailers and maybe one preview. Not something I'm keen on doing, because I was waaaaaay off about the sirens when I first saw them. :twilightoops:

If I wait until it's released, extract the desired information by playing it myself, and then get writing, those interested in YanSim would have time to play it for themselves and not be spoiled by the time they go in, those who aren't interested in playing having little to lose by reading.

Given that I'm omitting the whole murder/mindbreaking/general grimdark aspect of the game (though I get the firm impression that it will be possible, if repetitive, to go through the entire game without getting your hands dirty), it's possible that the information I'm interested in (the exact details of the Senpai character and the game's final boss, for lack of better words, whether they're both part of some kind of conspiracy or something paranormal, as there are hints that something is going on behind the scenes) is inherently incompatible with my vision of an EQG yandere story and I would have to replace it anyway, but in that case, I'd still like to find something that works as closely as possible for the light-hearted, comedic tone I have in mind for the story.

That, and the longer I wait, the more details about the game world (and thus material I can use for the story without having to make up more and more stuff, diverging as mentioned above) come out through development videos. I figure the logical conclusion is to just wait until the whole game is released.

TL;DR: I could do what you're suggesting, yes, but I have no interest in going that route. Sorry. :twilightsheepish:

Fair enough. Thanks for indulging my curiosity with the in-depth answer :twilightsmile:

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6747471 :rainbowhuh: I hadn't realised the ship name was missing, but you're right. Adaxie would be my suggestion, since it sounds like an alien invader and/or cleaning product.

I see your predicament, yeah. Obviously you should write the story the way you want to, but, would you still be interested in doing it if it were detached from the crossover? Not only would that avoid the delay the game is causing, but also... FIM is drawing to a close, site traffic is slowly draining away, the sirens haven't had a line of dialogue on-screen for five years - in fact, Equestria Girls hasn't had a good movie in five years - so the siren bubble is already a dwindling audience. And the intersection of the siren audience with that of an obscure video game is, uh... pushing it, shall we say?

All I can say is that's what I'd do, and that it sounds like a good way out of the quagmire the story's found itself in?

6747546 It's an interesting one, Adagio and Trixie. Because while I think they have lots of overlap in their personalities, and pursue some of the same goals, the simple fact is that Adagio is much better at achieving them than Trixie is. So I think Adagio would end up on top in any power struggle between them, however cordial or trivial. I agree, though, since they'd both be wanting it their way, one of them is going to end up frustrated when they have to give in.

And I really like your idea of them both dropping hints but neither actually going for it! That could be a lot of fun :twilightsmile:

6747641 As above, yeah, I think they both aim to dazzle, but only one actually succeeds. So Trixie, if she's able to get over herself, could stand to learn a lot from Adagio about working a crowd and holding a spotlight. So I think there's a lot Trixie would like in Adagio. And as for the other way around, well, Trixie would presumably have to go to greater and greater lengths to try to impress Adagio, which could be put to excellent use in furthering Adagio's goals. And I like the idea of the Rainbooms fighting a war on two fronts, surrounded by enemies who think alike.

Even if it were just the sirens hanging out at CHS until legally recognised as old enough not to be in school, the pranks Adagio and Trixie could pull on unsuspecting friendship crusaders could be rather spectacular.

I hadn't realised the ship name was missing, but you're right. Adaxie would be my suggestion, since it sounds like an alien invader and/or cleaning product.

I don't know if it'll hold, but I'll gladly go with 'Adaxie' (which I'll say right now that I don't think I've ever heard before) until the day someone tells me another name has caught on. :pinkiesmile:

I see your predicament, yeah. Obviously you should write the story the way you want to, but, would you still be interested in doing it if it were detached from the crossover? Not only would that avoid the delay the game is causing, but also... FIM is drawing to a close, site traffic is slowly draining away, the sirens haven't had a line of dialogue on-screen for five years - in fact, Equestria Girls hasn't had a good movie in five years - so the siren bubble is already a dwindling audience. And the intersection of the siren audience with that of an obscure video game is, uh... pushing it, shall we say?

That occurred to me, but unfortunately (or not?), the specific details of the story are way too similar to the setup of YanSim.

In a nutshell, YanSim is about a mentally unstable girl fixated on someone (the 'Senpai' character) that keeps inexplicably attracting potential suitors, the player (as the yandere) being tasked with eliminating them all so that they can eventually claim the target for themselves, one way or another.

The Adaxie story I have in mind sprouted from SFaCF, specifically the angle of crazy-obsessive stalker Trixie pursuing a flirty, teasing Adagio. The idea is Trixie getting a definite, not-just-lust crush this time, but being (a particular interpretation of) Trixie, she's (secretly) too shy and self-conscious to come right out with it and Adagio doesn't get the message through Trixie's outward persona; a loud, dramatic braggart expecting to be regarded as the most amazing person the world has ever seen. Same as in SFaCF, Adagio gets the impression that Trixie hates her, so she never entertains the idea of a relationship the way she does with the other girls that profess a more obvious interest... much to Trixie's envy and rage.

Basically, the Adaxie story would follow the same formula as Yansim; yandere (of the non-violent sort, mostly eliminating her rivals with wacky, Trixie-worthy antics while simultaneously trying to keep Adagio in the dark about what she's up to and what she really wants) chases love interest by getting rid of a succession of braver suitors. There are a lot more details I've already got ideas about, but I didn't have to look at my notes very long to determine that if I were to cut out the crossover thing altogether, I might as well be starting a new Adaxie story from scratch, nullifying the point somewhat.

That, and even if it takes another few years before I get started, the fact that the site still gets over a million hits a day tells me there's plenty of time before the site shuts down altogether, as I suspect that we'll have people hanging around even when FiM ceases to be produced. Even when it eventually does, there are other places to post stories, and audience size has never worried me (as I suspect is the case for a lot of crossover writers, but maybe the opposite is true? :rainbowhuh:), so I don't think it's an issue.

TL;DR: I could, but there'd be no point, at least not for me. :applejackunsure:

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

I just stumbled across this on Derpibooru:

I wrote one of those as my first story ever:

TDazzling Illusion
When Trixie saw Adagio Dazzle, for the first time she has felt the true magic. Who is that new girl, and why does she make The Great And Powerful Trixie feel so small?
ChudoJogurt · 4k words  ·  58  7 · 2k views
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6774195 This is the one listed in the original post as 'a well-regarded sample of the ship (and the story that made me like Trixie as a character, incidentally)' :twilightsmile:

Bit late to the posting on this one (and first post too) but I had to throw a comment because I hardly see anything relating to this ship anywhere. I have a particular interest with it and it's pretty disappointing that it's so rare.

There's potential for a pairing with any of the sirens I think but Trixie almost exclusively seems to get put with Starlight these days (Which isn't terrible, just oversaturated).

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6812261 Welcome to the group, and thanks for chiming in on the discussion! :twilightsmile:

I agree, for how involved Trixie is with their plan in Rainbow Rocks, there's surprisingly little shipping around. There was a lovely Trixie x Aria one, too, but it never got past its first chapter.

Thanks for the welcoming!

Yeah, there's definitely at least some chemistry that could explored there. I'd try my hand at it but I'm not very great at writing and entirely too self-conscious to post stuff.

I remember being pretty excited to see that particular story pop up thinking it might make that sort of thing a bit more utilized. It's sad that it never updated.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14