Uncommon Dazzling Ships 269 members · 441 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

Each month we will be spotlighting one pairing, or suggesting a writing prompt. As you may have seen on the main page, this month's area of focus is Sonata x Any Shadowbolt.

So, here's the thing: siren ships are so comparatively rare amongst the whole MLP fan fiction output that 'uncommon' basically means anything that isn't Adagio x Sunset, Aria x Sonata or Sonata x Pinkie. But I'd thought, even with two Sonata ship exemptions there, that there'd still be loads of stories out there shipping her with all sorts of different characters. She's still the most popular siren, her group having almost twice as many members as Adagio's. And yet, our Sonata folder is rather restricted in its choices. Maybe we're just not very good at collecting Sonata stories here, but the Sonata stories list currently shows two stories shipping her with Rarity, 12 with Twilight across two genders, and 34 with Sunset because we've all read and loved The Evening Sonata.

Clearly this situation needs rectifying! So that's why we're throwing the net wide this month and promoting shipping between Sonata and any Shadowbolt. What would the friendliest siren see in someone whose sole personality traits appear to be hostility and elitism? What would appeal to a character who speaks the truth, however harsh, about a girl who lives in a permanent dreamy fantasy? How could the simplest siren fall for someone who confusingly alternates between nice and nasty mid-sentence? Here's a well-regarded sample of the ship, but we need you to write more! Maybe Indigo Zap needs a faithful supporter to cheer her on, whose enthusiasm matches her own. Maybe Sonata figures that now she can't sing her way through life, she needs to marry rich, and sets out to become Sunny Flare's trophy wife. Maybe Sonata transfers to Crystal Prep, flunks half her classes and is assigned Sugarcoat as a tutor. Maybe Lemon Zest has been listening to Dazzling tunes through her headphones all along, and has been under their spell from the start...

Lovely artwork provided by enyoiyourself, with the piece further up by cbear624, may they inspire you to come up with a delightful new tale of the Sweetest and the Elitist.

If this is a ship you like the sound of, this thread is probably a good place to discuss it. I joined this group not just to see all the unusual siren ships in one place, but to encourage others to write more of them, so if you're thinking of writing a Sonata x Shadowbolt story or have one in the works already, by all means let us know in the thread below. Or just discuss the ship: what you like about it and why, what problems you've encountered with it before, what scenarios you can envision for the two of them. Just talking about it like that can inspire others with new story ideas, some of which might get written down, at which point we all benefit :twilightsmile:

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6417863 So many opportunities! Maybe it's best to start by process of elimination - which Shadowbolt appeals to you the least for being shipped with Sonata?

Oh, you misunderstand...it’s not process of elimination so much as scenes for them all. I may have a tentative ship for her in my actual timeline but multiverse theory is fun to toy with.

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6418031 Approaching it from the other direction then, which Shadowbolt is the most tempting for you to write a story with shipping her with Sonata?

I'm gonna suggest Sugarcoat (since in my opinion she has a really interesting personality for shipping in general).

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6419885 I really like Sugarcoat, she's ever so funny. But she and Sci-Twi seem the more highbrow intellectuals of the group; any thoughts on how you'd go fitting that with Sonata, who's not the quickest of cats at the best of times?

I personally do not like stories depicting Sonata as stupid or something like that. I always preferred Annuska's idea of Sonata being maybe a bit scatterbrained, but also not being as dumb as she acts, especially socially.

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6420832 I don't see her that way myself, but I have definitely enjoyed several stories which take that approach. And that would surely work much better with Sugarcoat, as you say.

Sugarcoat is the Shadowbolt I find in general most interesting for shipping. I don't even know enough about the others to say whether they would fit with Sonata.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10